Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:†

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Topic Specific > Podcast
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2005, 08:02 PM   #46
strider_mt2k
Samsung Omnia i910
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDAJah
So is "042" to the answer to the question......

We aren't allowed to know the question yet though.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:31 PM   #47
JAmerican
Why Does Palm Disappoint?

I'm gonna stick with my UX and T610 till the price lowers on the Universal. I just got a Bluetooth v1.2 compliment USB dongle off of ebay. Works great with my device and will work great with the Universal. I'm currently streaming music with it and viewing the web. Way faster than my T610. I'll use this for now till I get the real deal .

JAmerican

Handspring Treo 90 --> Royal RG135nx --> T-Mobile Sidekick --> T-Mobile Sidekick Color --> PEG-UX40 -- > PEG-UX50--> Samsung T629 (Returned) -- > Palm TX (SOLD)/T-Mobile Sony Ericsson T610(Defective) --> T-Mobile Dash(Broken Screen) --> ASUS EEE 1000H Black/Treo 800w/PEG-VZ90

Accesories: Transcend 16GB SDHC | 8GB Transcend microSD
JAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 08:57 PM   #48
Vampire Lestat

We need Sony or another major company to start making/selling PDAs with Palm OS. Palm Inc. being the sole producer of Palm OS devices is not reassuring to me, especially now that I am seeing the WM Treo. This is a mistake in my opinion.

Access Inc. makes Palm OS, but is yet not named Palm Inc. Palm Inc. now sells both Palm OS and WM devices. Consumers will be more confused than ever. As odd as it may seem, Access Inc. should buy back the Palm brand and let Palm Inc. change their name so they can be just another OS agnostic hardware producer like HP, Dell, Toshiba.

I am not 100% sure of everything I just wrote above. But I do know that something is still not right with the Palm branding and it is not helping the Palm economy.
Vampire Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:11 PM   #49
Vampire Lestat

Come to think of it, perhaps the Japanese taking control of Palm OS is a good thing. Now that we know for sure that Palm is planning a WM device, and has shown a breach in the loyalty towards Palm OS, isn't it best that Access Inc. have control and continue to offer Palm OS to anyone who is interested? LG and others.

If Palm Inc. gained full control over everything, they might have given up on Palm OS after perhaps seeing interesting WM sales.

IMPORTANT point to remember --> Palm Inc. is lucky they are a Palm OS monopoly right now. Because to tell you the truth, if Sony was still doing Palms, my anger towards Palm Inc. due to their WM Treo would translate into me buying solely Sony Palms until the anger passed. That logic in itself perhaps demonstrates that what Palm Inc. is doing now is wrong and will perhaps undermine their brand. Colligan knows he has a monopoly and that Palm enthousiasts have no one else to buy from, that is why he can permit himself the luxury of the WM market experiment while ensuring only a minimal backlash from Palm owners. He has us by the balls essentially.

Now that we know the WM Treo is real, Palm Inc. will have to ensure that all Palm devices meet the highest standards and represent incredible value compared to their WM devices. Else, many traditional Palm buyers may simply decide to go out and buy an HP or Dell PPC.

My intuition is that Colligan is risking his core business big time. He is probably looking at the failing handheld sales and using that as a justification that only a WM device can perhaps save the day. IMO, to restore handheld sales, they simply need to copy the quality they put into the Treo. How long have T3 users been begging for an upgrade? The forums are full of clear examples of what fans want. Why isn't this on the market? We know it can be done. Instead, long time fans are treated to a laggy LD. Come on Ed, get your act together, Palm OS is your milking cow, not WM. Don't risk undermining your brand. Get that quality up on the LD. Focus on PALM, and let HP Dell handled PPC. If Palms stop selling, then sell the company.

Last edited by Vampire Lestat : 09-22-2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:16 PM   #50
Vampire Lestat

WM + Palm = You can't have your cake and eat it to.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:28 PM   #51
Vampire Lestat

"Congratulations! Welcome to the Palm Treo 700w smartphone, combining the power of Windows Mobile with the speed and ease of use of a Treo smartphone. Press Next to begin."

arrgh the more I see that Treo 700w pic and read that screen, I just want to scream out "F u Palm!".

Quite frankly, while many of us are trying to hold the Palm OS ship afloat by buying sometimes questionable hardware, seeing things like the above just makes you feel like you are wasting your time since Palm itself doesn't care. Makes you feel like instead blaming the lack of a mic, led, vib alarm, wifi, etc on the T5, or the lag on the HD, on the fact that Palm Inc is spending their time and money on a WM device.

Am I off base here guys? What do you think? If we are to be loyal to Palm OS, shouldnt Palm also be loyal? Isnt that basic common sense?
Old 09-22-2005, 09:32 PM   #52
aaaaaaaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampire Lestat
WM + Palm = You can't have your cake and eat it to.

You really need to step back just a bit. Between your posts here and on PIC, I think you are taking this whole OS thing a bit too seriously. It is a PDA for pete's sake, wireless or not, it is just a PDA. :-)
Old 09-22-2005, 09:34 PM   #53
Gekko

Vampire - Here's a lesson on life and loyalty -

Be Loyal To Yourself First

Years ago, companies offered their employees a secure and stable job, and it was common, even expected, for the employee to be loyal in return and remain with one company for much or even all of their career.

Unfortunately, those days are long gone. Companies change their direction all the time, and itís a very competitive world out there. If employees donít look out for themselves, no one is going to look out for them. You have to be loyal to YOURSELF these days.

The way I see it, your first responsibility is to yourself and your family. You owe it to yourself to get the best situation you can for yourself. That means in terms of money, job satisfaction, personal pride, where you live, etc. You have to go for what you want, and when it is offered to you on a platter, donít pass it up.

Staying at your present job because the people are nice isnít enough. Are the people at the other company nice? Would you be happier overall in the other job, taking into account the income, the working conditions, and all the other factors? Only you can answer that question. If you would be happier taking the job thatís being offered, I say go for it.

No one should ever spite you for doing what you think is best for you and your family.

Remember that at the end of the day, the President of the company is always going to do what's best for himself. Why shouldn't you?
Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:58 PM   #54
Vampire Lestat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaaaaaaa
You really need to step back just a bit. Between your posts here and on PIC, I think you are taking this whole OS thing a bit too seriously. It is a PDA for pete's sake, wireless or not, it is just a PDA. :-)

You are perhaps right.

I remember not too long ago an interview with Ed Colligan where he bragged that he appreciated the loyalty of the Palm user base and that he felt Palm worked long and hard to earn that loyalty. My reaction is a bit in response to this WM Treo pseudo-backstabbing by Palm. Gekko is probably right in saying that Colligan couldn't actually care less about end users and the long term stability of the Palm OS product that made them what they are today.

Call me old fashion, but if I owned Palm, I would try to consolidate and build on my loyal customer base. I would understand that developers have invested years of their life in programming the OS, and many have built businesses around that. Consumers themselves have invested time learning the OS and putting all their personal data into Palm Desktop. If I owned Palm, I would definately never make a WM Treo. It would send ALL the wrong messages to my loyal customers, who made the company what it is today.

The WM Treo is not about giving consumers more choice, it is a backstabbing of the consumers who invested their trust in Palm, and who expect Palm's 100% on Palm products, and a 100% dedication towards promoting the Palm OS platform and ensuring stability.

Just saying: "We renewed til 2009 with PalmSource! We are commited!" is not enough. Palm is obviously scheming with Microsoft.

MARK MY WORDS, this WILL undermine consumer confidence in the product. Rule #1 in economics, always ensure confidence in the economy.

Last edited by Vampire Lestat : 09-22-2005 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:38 PM   #55
Jimmie Geddes

It is giving their customers a choice. Palm is a company, they need $$ to stay alive. Don't you think there's a reason it's called the Treo 700w??? I know there will be a Treo 700p, Palm will not let go of their smartphone lead. The Treo 650 is the best smartphone, plain and simple. This is just them making $$ fast, giving the other side a taste of Treo. I guarantee they will not disappoint us Palm users. I also see them putting WM 5 on their pda's. This is not going to be Treo specific. Palm is doing this to stay alive. It's a smart move, even though us Palm fans don't like WM, but we are not Palm the company. You've got to look at it objectively. Like Jeff said in his podcast, companies do what's best for the company and down the road. This is clearly what we are seeing. I am surprised we haven't seen the death of palm on wm sites already. CHOICE is going to be Palm's word, I see it in their ads, on their site. Mark my words. CHOICES
Old 09-22-2005, 10:56 PM   #56
Vampire Lestat

In all due respect, that is all hogwash.

Let's be point blank honest here, a PALM WM device is a crystal clear vote of confidence in the Microsoft brand by Palm itself! This makes no sense! It is simply crazy. ROTFL

I don't care what Palm's studies show on how what Corp. America is calling for for WM in phones, Palm is a Palm OS company and they should not be in the business of selling another brand. Unbelievable.

Think about it, consumers who walk into a store have to choose between a known powerful Microsoft brand and Palm OS, a device that is made by Palm Inc, who itself sells Microsoft. Consumers will now always choose Microsoft because a) they will be confused by what the hell Palm Inc is and what they are selling. b) they want their data to be protected and stable under the Microsoft umbrella.

Those are just the new buyers class. The hardcore Palm loyalist class will take it even harder. A WM Treo means a) a vote of confidence in the quality of MS. b) Palm is not loyal, so why should we? c) Palm risk dumping Palm OS at any time since they are not loyal, so why invest years in Palm OS programming when devs can simply now put everything into WM?

The Treo WM being a "more choice for consumers" is a guise, a lie, a devious fallacy from a company that is wanting to try to get a quick cash fix at the expense and the risk of undermining the whole Palm economy.

Notice how Dell, HP and Microsoft don't give all these headaches to consumers and developers? Most of the news that comes out of that camp is positive and stable in comparison.

This WM Treo thing is indeed a backstabbing and I don't know how I and others will adapt to this.

I told Jeff that he should be part of the solution and not the problem. I made the mistake of not taking the time to fully grasp the implications of Palm developing and selling a competitor's product. If Palm doesn't believe in their product, then nor do I. If and when the Palm community goes silent, the forums dry up, the revenues fall, the developer community abandons Palm OS, and Palm goes back into the red, blame Colligan and his Microsoft product.

Palm Inc., the INVENTORS of the handheld. The pioneers. The developers, promoters and defenders of Palm OS; now selling Microsoft... sickening.

PS. By the way, notice how Jeff Kirvin, a long time staunch Palm OS enthousiast, all of a sudden is considering Palm's Microsoft Treo. This is just one example of the impacts that the move to MS will have. Expect millions of Jeff Kirvins to appear soon. Who knows, maybe yours truely as well. But you know what? Jeff might not go to the Palm WM Treo.. he already said he has issues with it, so what will happen? He will start looking at all the OTHER WM makers.... THAT is what will be Palm's nightmare; the splitting of the pie.

Last edited by Vampire Lestat : 09-22-2005 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:11 PM   #57
Jimmie Geddes

I will never go to a windows mobile device ever. I guarantee that. I believe Palm will still create Treo Palm os ones.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:16 PM   #58
Jimmie Geddes

Jeff never said he was considering a wm treo. He said maybe the 2nd revision. I am speaking for myself. I love the palm os, the treo 650 has been the best device I have ever used. I don't think Palm is dropping us all with the new win mob treo, only picking up some more users.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:24 PM   #59
Vampire Lestat

OK Jimmie, we will watch and see what happens.

WM Treo = Palm saying: "WE trust Microsoft and so can you!"

Oh yeah? OK then, I will be choosing.. hmm.. let me see here... Treo 700? hmm maybe, but let me see here at these HPs... Dells... Toshibas.. Acers... or let me look at all these new exciting Microsoft smartphones... hmm... decisions.. decisions.... SO many choices... so many, I almost already forgot about the Treo 700...

This is the corporate blunder of the decade.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:29 PM   #60
Jeff Kirvin
Writer/Podcaster

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Kirvin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampire Lestat
I told Jeff that he should be part of the solution and not the problem. I made the mistake of not taking the time to fully grasp the implications of Palm developing and selling a competitor's product. If Palm doesn't believe in their product, then nor do I.

And this is why you don't get it. Palm is a hardware company. They don't make Palm OS and they don't compete with Microsoft.

How many different ways do I need to say this? Palm ain't "Palm OS". Those days are over, bye-bye.

All that this really means is that Palm is following in the footsteps of Garmin, Samsung and others that already make PDAs for both platforms.
Jeff Kirvin is offline   Reply With Quote