Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Topic Specific > Off-Topic > OT: PCs/Laptops
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2005, 02:41 PM   #1
Rampax

OS X on pc hardware

I heard somewhere on tv that there is a way to run OS X on a windows based machine. Does anyone know any information about this? If there is a way, how can I achieve this? I only heard this on tv once, but I have no other information on this subject.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:28 PM   #2
Homie S

Send a message via AIM to Homie S
No. You can get windows-based programs to run on OSX using VirtualPC (although lots of people complain of the lousy speed, I've never tried myself), but you cannot run OSX on windows-based hardware; PC's use x86 architecture, Macs use PPC. Give it a year when Macs start shipping with Intels. Who knows then.
Homie S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 06:09 PM   #3
T-Man
I was; I am; I'll be

Send a message via AIM to T-Man Send a message via MSN to T-Man Send a message via Yahoo to T-Man
Now, I found something on the web called 'Cherry OS'. I think thats what its called but never got any info on whether it actually worked or not.

Timm
Old 08-07-2005, 05:05 PM   #4
jfer_rs
T|X

Apple put some chip on his Intel computers, so, you can't run MacOS X for Intel on any PC, but just on the computers made by mac.

But you can run windows on your Intel Mac.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:14 PM   #5
Homie S

Send a message via AIM to Homie S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfer_rs
Apple put some chip on his Intel computers, so, you can't run MacOS X for Intel on any PC, but just on the computers made by mac.

But you can run windows on your Intel Mac.

Yes. Even though it was confirmed at the Keynote that they wouldn't allow it anyway. I just said it because it probably can be done. Just a whole lot of (illegal) work has to be put into getting it to do it.
Homie S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 08:28 PM   #6
jjesusfreak01
Custom User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homie S
Yes. Even though it was confirmed at the Keynote that they wouldn't allow it anyway. I just said it because it probably can be done. Just a whole lot of (illegal) work has to be put into getting it to do it.

Windows on an Intel Mac is perfectly legal. You buy a license for an OS, and you install it. What Apple is doing is illegal and anticompetitive. They claim to not sell an OS, but they sell it separately from the system, but disallow it from working on other systems. Its called bundling, and is worse than most of the things MS is accused of doing.

Sony TG-50, Sony TH-55, Palm TX...TH-55 still the best
jjesusfreak01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 08:35 PM   #7
dragonsgames
I'm stuck on the source

Apple has lost it's way. But they have good stuff
Sony Clie N760c -> Sony Clie TG-50 -> Treo 600 -> Sony Clie NX80, Fossil wrist PDA-> Sony Clie UX50 -> Sony CLIE VZ90 -> TG50, iPod 5.5 Gen -> Sony CLIE UX50, Sony PEGA-EB40 -> Sony CLIE PEG-TH55/E1, Samsung A900 (Blade) -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pre -> HTC Hero, Apple MacBook -> HTC Evo ->Nexus S 4G, Apple MacBook Pro

I like iSpin, it's my favorite launcher!!
I am the 2nd top 1src poster!!
dragonsgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 04:17 AM   #8
JackAxe
Barbarian Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjesusfreak01
Windows on an Intel Mac is perfectly legal. You buy a license for an OS, and you install it. What Apple is doing is illegal and anticompetitive. They claim to not sell an OS, but they sell it separately from the system, but disallow it from working on other systems. Its called bundling, and is worse than most of the things MS is accused of doing.

Apple is doing nothing illegal. They own the patents, copyrights and trademarks on their products. Look up "Free Enterprise." They have the legal right to choose which hadware can or can not run OS X. When someone buys a Macintosh with OS X, or a PC with Windows, they're licensing the use of that operating system, and by using it are agreeing to its terms.

Sony as an example, could not legally to ship a PS3 that has the abillity to run OS X. They would first need to work out a deal with Apple to license the Apple ROM.

Microsoft made the choice to support a broad range of PCs. It's how they chose to license Windows. They could've easily done the same as Apple, or Commodore, and released a Microsoft PC that ran a version of Windows that only worked on their computer. And in a sense, MS has already done this with the XBox. Legally no other company can sell a XBox clone, nor can they sell an Apple clone.

<]=)

I be a hearty pirate that plunders many waffles.

The Dread Pirate Monkey Gizmo has scurvy! :)

Nintendo DS and Wii, me gaming machines of choice.
JackAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:34 AM   #9
dragonsgames
I'm stuck on the source

Sony Clie N760c -> Sony Clie TG-50 -> Treo 600 -> Sony Clie NX80, Fossil wrist PDA-> Sony Clie UX50 -> Sony CLIE VZ90 -> TG50, iPod 5.5 Gen -> Sony CLIE UX50, Sony PEGA-EB40 -> Sony CLIE PEG-TH55/E1, Samsung A900 (Blade) -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pre -> HTC Hero, Apple MacBook -> HTC Evo ->Nexus S 4G, Apple MacBook Pro

I like iSpin, it's my favorite launcher!!
I am the 2nd top 1src poster!!
dragonsgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 01:54 PM   #10
JackAxe
Barbarian Artist

WTF?!

It posted twice.

<]=)

Last edited by JackAxe : 08-08-2005 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:00 PM   #11
JackAxe
Barbarian Artist

That's through emulation, and it doesn't really pertain to what I was rambling about. You kind of missed the point.

Apple's not going to stop you as an individual from running your purchased coppy of OS X under an emulator, they're just not going to support you. But if you were to try and sell a PC that shipped with VMWare and OS X pre installed, then Apple could ream you legally, and your venture would be shut down promptly. You would probably be able ot get permision from from the emulator peeps for distribution, but definitely not Apple. But assuming you had permision from the emulator peeps, you could sell a PC with their software on it, and then sell OS X serpately for purchase, assuming that you also had a resale license. Of course that user would not have Apple's support, nor support for any of the software that he/she bought and attempted to install on it.

Apple likes to control the software and the hardware, this allows them to maintain a level of quality that PCs do not have. They couldn't do this if they were to license OS X out for a broad range of clones like MS, and would end up in the same boat of continual security and quality problems. MS will sell VPC with a license of Windows for the Mac and support it, this is their choice, but Apple chooses not to sell an emulator with a license of OS X for the PC. Microsoft is into the world domiance thing, and wants to be on every computer. Apple on the other hand is into the quality niche that is inherent wtih the tight control of both the hardware and OS.

Bleh.

<]=)

Old 08-08-2005, 03:26 PM   #12
jjesusfreak01
Custom User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAxe
That's through emulation, and it doesn't really pertain to what I was rambling about. You kind of missed the point.

Apple's not going to stop you as an individual from running your purchased coppy of OS X under an emulator, they're just not going to support you. But if you were to try and sell a PC that shipped with VMWare and OS X pre installed, then Apple could ream you legally, and your venture would be shut down promptly. You would probably be able ot get permision from from the emulator peeps for distribution, but definitely not Apple. But assuming you had permision from the emulator peeps, you could sell a PC with their software on it, and then sell OS X serpately for purchase, assuming that you also had a resale license. Of course that user would not have Apple's support, nor support for any of the software that he/she bought and attempted to install on it.

Apple likes to control the software and the hardware, this allows them to maintain a level of quality that PCs do not have. They couldn't do this if they were to license OS X out for a broad range of clones like MS, and would end up in the same boat of continual security and quality problems. MS will sell VPC with a license of Windows for the Mac and support it, this is their choice, but Apple chooses not to sell an emulator with a license of OS X for the PC. Microsoft is into the world domiance thing, and wants to be on every computer. Apple on the other hand is into the quality niche that is inherent wtih the tight control of both the hardware and OS.

Bleh.

<]=)

Sorry, YOU missed the point. The ability to install OSX is completely different from having it pre installed. Everyone knows and agrees it would be illegal to have it preinstalled on a computer, as Apple has to license it for bulk installations. My problem isnt on whether Apple has to make it run. I believe Apple has every right to have an operating system that will not run on other systems because it lacks the ability to interface with them. Where they cross the line is by putting in a chip to purposely block other systems from running it, even if an individual makes the effort to make the hardware compatable.

Everyone always gives the "level of quality" argument to say that Apple is better, but this is not true. My Powerbook (which clearly must have more problems than all other PBs made) is not as reliable as my PC. The hardware is great, but the software is just plain messed up. I havent been able to do a software update in weeks because of a permissions problem with a temporary folder. Maybe I have a Virus? I wouldnt know, as Virex doesnt update but about every two months? Anyways, using this argument for security is really just an excuse. Apple could force some basic specs on computer vendors that would allow the OS to function without decreased security. This isnt the point though. The same thing applies for the iPod. At the moment it cannot handle DRMed CDs, for the sole reason that Apple refuses to license their DRM. They do this out of their own selfishness, not for their users. That is why I dont support them.

Sony TG-50, Sony TH-55, Palm TX...TH-55 still the best
jjesusfreak01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 05:01 PM   #13
SamuraiCatJB
Need coffee. Need coffee.
Platinum Contributor

why would it be illegal for Apple to have it pre-installed (bundled) as you say, but it is okay to pre-install (bundle) a Windows based OS.
And now, Grandfather, I ask you to bless the White Man. He needs your Wisdom, your guidance. You see, for so long, he has tried to destroy my people, and only feels comfortable when given power. Bless them, show them the peace we understand, teach them humility. For I fear they will someday destroy themselves and their children, As they have done so Mother Earth. I plead, I cry. After all, They are my Brothers.... ~ Prayer ~
SamuraiCatJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 05:48 PM   #14
JackAxe
Barbarian Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjesusfreak01
Where they cross the line is by putting in a chip to purposely block other systems from running it, even if an individual makes the effort to make the hardware compatable.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr *gasp* rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr; Once again, look up Free Enterprise.

Now let me get this straight; You honestly believet that it is wrong/illegal, for Apple to prevent other computers from being able to use their copyrighted OS? If yes, HOLY FREAKING Pooo!!! You know, just because you believe something as being true, it doesn't make it so.

And again, look up Free Enterprise.

Quote:
Everyone always gives the "level of quality" argument to say that Apple is better, but this is not true. My Powerbook (which clearly must have more problems than all other PBs made) is not as reliable as my PC.

Yep, you're just special. A bad memory chip can cause all sorts of problems, just a thought.

Quote:
The hardware is great, but the software is just plain messed up. I havent been able to do a software update in weeks because of a permissions problem with a temporary folder. Maybe I have a Virus? I wouldnt know, as Virex doesnt update but about every two months?

Repair your permisions. It is in the Disk Utility, and if that doesn't work, then boot off the OS X CD and repair the permisions and the disk.

There was a bug with one security update about 2 years ago that prevented Software Update from working on some Macs. But since that time, I have yet to encounter it again. Repairing permissions should fix it. Now if that doesn work, here's the uber fix. It involves reseting the Open Firmware; Boot up the Mac holding down "option + command + F + O" This wil bring you to a Unix type screen. Type "reset-all" and then press return. It might ask for your password.

That's pretty much it for OS X fixes, there are a few others, but repairing permisions every other month keeps things happy, at least for me Macs. And as I already mentioned, you could have a bad memory chip, or worse case you got a lemon. Call Apple up and as long as it is still in warranty, or you have the extended care, they'll set you up with a working comp.

Quote:
Anyways, using this argument for security is really just an excuse. Apple could force some basic specs on computer vendors that would allow the OS to function without decreased security. This isnt the point though. The same thing applies for the iPod. At the moment it cannot handle DRMed CDs, for the sole reason that Apple refuses to license their DRM. They do this out of their own selfishness, not for their users. That is why I dont support them.

Who's using this new CD DRM?

I just bought a CD that says something like punishable by death for unauthorized copying, and it was distributed by Sony, and it imported just fine. But my friend did encounter an issue with that guy from Queen of the Stonage, or something like, and couldn't import the CD into his PC. I was able top drop the CD into my PB though, and copy the AIF files directly over the network to his comp. The problem wasn't DRM though, it was a "?" in one of the titles. Symbols like that freak out PCs.

Yes, Apple is EVIL!!! WooOooOOoooooooooooo... Selfish tooo. But they earned it and the chances of them achieving dominance in the digital music market, with companies like Sony, MS and Dell shooting for the same thing, is probably a miracle.

Anyways, since they are copyright holders of OS X, it is soley their choice weather or not another vendor can licensce and distrubate OS X.

<]=)

Last edited by JackAxe : 08-08-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:53 PM   #15
JackAxe
Barbarian Artist

Oh, and the only virus you'll get an a Mac, would be a PC virus being sent through e-mail, or if you coppied it on your self. It wouldn't do anything though.

<]=)