Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Topic Specific > Podcast
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2005, 04:10 PM   #1
Jeff Kirvin
Writer/Podcaster

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Kirvin
Post 1SRC Podcast ThirtyFive

The triumphant return of SkinUI (not a moment too soon) and why we don't need PalmSource after all. More on this week's Editorial review of Mobi-Systems OfficeSuite 7, and Gartner says the PDA isn't dead after all, but still manages to dis Palm. [details]
Jeff Kirvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:01 PM   #2
Unregisteed

If you count everything as PDA's (Treo's and LifeDrive's) then the Canalys numbers are surely what you are after. If it can run apps and fit in your hand they count it.

Looking at those numbers, despite the Treo, Palm OS is still down year on year, and is only 37% of the WM VS POS market, with WM the other 62% of course.

Still, more than 3 million units are being sold by traditional PDA makers (POS and WM), coming to >12 million per year, which matches or tops 2001 certainly.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:58 PM   #3
Jeff Kirvin
Writer/Podcaster

Hi, Surur. I knew you'd post that. But I think it's worth noting that the massive growth in this market is in Europe and Asia, that US sales are flat. The Treo is just beginning to release into these non-US markets, so let's see if it eats into some of that WM marketshare when consumers have a choice between platforms.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:08 PM   #4
strider_mt2k
Samsung Omnia i910
Silver Contributor

Whoa, you can kick people in the head?
I'm just not that flexible man.

I have to differ on one thing, Jeff:

History shows that by the time the mainstream media gets ahold of many things, they have already passed.
I'm not saying that means that handhelds have, just that it's often the case.

The saturday night 1SRC chat is always interesting and fun.
Hearing from everyone in a live setting is really great, and much more dynamic than message forums!

We now return you to tonight's feature "Evil Trolls Attack Jeff Kirvin" starring Morgan Freeman as the president...

Last edited by strider_mt2k : 08-03-2005 at 06:14 PM. Reason: additional thoughts and small humor injection
strider_mt2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:26 PM   #5
LupeValenz
(^_^)/ Hi

Send a message via Yahoo to LupeValenz
Heheaheahahahahahahehahehehehahahhahah :d
Old 08-03-2005, 06:28 PM   #6
Unregistred

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider_mt2k
We now return you to tonight's feature "Evil Trolls Attack Jeff Kirvin" starring Morgan Freeman as the president...

I think thats a bit of an unfair characterization. Jeff complained about uninterpretable numbers (I fully agree), so I provided some which speak for themselves. These numbers indicate that the Treo has not grown the Palm market yet, and as the Palm CFO said yesterday, appears to be cannibalizing the Palm pure-play PDA sales.

The Gartner report said something very interesting however, which was that most sales were to PDA upgraders, not new users. Should this inform marketing strategies?
Old 08-03-2005, 06:31 PM   #7
Vampire Lestat

Hi Jeff,

Another good entertaining podcast. Thanks.

I have always said it and I will continue to say it, there is no way in hell PDAs are going to disappear. This product is destined to grow into a major mass market over the coming years.

Treos will will continue to sell well, but so will handhelds. Why? Because they have larger screens. The difference between watching a movie, surfing the Web, using an Excel sheet or playing a game on a 320x480 instead of a 320x320 is significant.

I predict that WiMAX and newer better variants will soon bring a permanent unlimited Internet connection to handhelds (much faster than cell phone bandwidth). Expect things like constant mobile MSN, push email, VoIP based videoconferencing, etc. The 320x480 devices will be the devices of choice for new wireless handheld.

Do not be surprised to see a trend towards having a nice 480x320 WiMAX fully connected handheld accompanied by mini cell phones.

I believe that Palm Linux is the way of the future and PalmSource will continue to be the driving force behind Palm OS (not Palm, unless they buy PalmSource). Never forget that the Linux kernel will bring many new developers onboard and it will reduce time-to-market and reduce operation costs. We will also being seeing ports of many popular native Linux programs. These are exciting times for Palm OS and its transition to the Linux kernel.

Windows Mobile is 2005 is going to put a lot of pressure on Palm. However, with Linux, Palm could start scaring Microsoft a lot more. Microsoft is already scared of the Linux desktop version... don't kid yourself, they are praying that consumers give up on Palm before PalmSource has a chance to get things going with Palm Linux. Do not let that happen. Go buy Palms, tell your friends to buy Palms. As consumers, we need choice and the only way to maintain a healthy competition is to buy Palms.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:32 PM   #8
strider_mt2k
Samsung Omnia i910
Silver Contributor

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistred
I think thats a bit of an unfair characterization. Jeff complained about uninterpretable numbers (I fully agree), so I provided some which speak for themselves. These numbers indicate that the Treo has not grown the Palm market yet, and as the Palm CFO said yesterday, appears to be cannibalizing the Palm pure-play PDA sales.

The Gartner report said something very interesting however, which was that most sales were to PDA upgraders, not new users. Should this inform marketing strategies?

I was just commenting on another growing trend.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:21 PM   #9
Dick Tracy
Detective

Jeff, thank you for doing another podcast. I missed the intro music. Won't be purchasing the MobiOffice Suite as I'm ok with DTG and like my available RAM. You (everyone) can choose what to put on your device and I'm fine with that. As far as all the PowerPoint stuff, they're just numbers and exist to tell stories of the "purchaser" of the graphics. Unless they are filed with a regulatory agency using bulletproof Defined Terms and calculation methodologies, they're just prestidigitation in my eyes and experience.
Dick Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:42 PM   #10
JAmerican
Why Does Palm Disappoint?

We CLIE people have CodeDiver to extend our VG area. For the halo, we have KeyQuick. I've remapped my keyboard a bit to open the Command bar and use Tab on my keyboard to switch from button to push button to drop-down list, etc. The main reason I state this is because people like Dimitry has made using Palm devices grand. Also that thumbboards on handhelds are very useful.

Docs To Go has a tool called DatavizTechTool, which makes it easier to copy large files that are apart of DocsToGo to MS or Int. Media. This gives you at least around 6MB of RAM back. If MobiSystem had something like this, it still would not be enough because they still need to incorporate a Active Text Field. When I press the Backspace button, HiLauncher (which is called when my Home button is pressed) comes up.

The Treo 650 does belong because its a wireless device. If they added it, it would have been close or would have beat WinCE. In my time, I've seen Treo 650s all over the place. The amount of Treo 650s I've seen to Windows CE devices is amazing.

I still think that when mini-tablets come around, there will be devices like the UX50 and HTC Universal popup.

JAmerican

Handspring Treo 90 --> Royal RG135nx --> T-Mobile Sidekick --> T-Mobile Sidekick Color --> PEG-UX40 -- > PEG-UX50--> Samsung T629 (Returned) -- > Palm TX (SOLD)/T-Mobile Sony Ericsson T610(Defective) --> T-Mobile Dash(Broken Screen) --> ASUS EEE 1000H Black/Treo 800w/PEG-VZ90

Accesories: Transcend 16GB SDHC | 8GB Transcend microSD

Last edited by JAmerican : 08-03-2005 at 07:55 PM.
JAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:58 PM   #11
Jeff Kirvin
Writer/Podcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAmerican
Docs To Go has a tool called DatavizTechTool, which makes it easier to copy large files to MS or Int. Media. This gives you at least around 6MB of RAM back.

Actually as tosbsas mentioned in the thread for the review, you can opt to install nearly everything to the card. The only thing that has to stay in RAM is the OfficeSuite front end app, about 700k. And if that's too much, you can probably use ZLauncher or PowerRun to move even that to the card.

Can't believe I spaced that. I'm blamin' the heat...
Old 08-03-2005, 08:23 PM   #12
JAmerican
Why Does Palm Disappoint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kirvin
Actually as tosbsas mentioned in the thread for the review, you can opt to install nearly everything to the card. The only thing that has to stay in RAM is the OfficeSuite front end app, about 700k. And if that's too much, you can probably use ZLauncher or PowerRun to move even that to the card.

Can't believe I spaced that. I'm blamin' the heat...

Ok fine, but the next problem is Enabling Active Text for thumbboards and keyboards. The backspace button acts like the Back button on a CLIE. This makes writing documents very difficult.

JAmerican

Handspring Treo 90 --> Royal RG135nx --> T-Mobile Sidekick --> T-Mobile Sidekick Color --> PEG-UX40 -- > PEG-UX50--> Samsung T629 (Returned) -- > Palm TX (SOLD)/T-Mobile Sony Ericsson T610(Defective) --> T-Mobile Dash(Broken Screen) --> ASUS EEE 1000H Black/Treo 800w/PEG-VZ90

Accesories: Transcend 16GB SDHC | 8GB Transcend microSD
JAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:39 PM   #13
strider_mt2k
Samsung Omnia i910
Silver Contributor

Excellent RAM info, thank you all very much!
Old 08-03-2005, 08:42 PM   #14
Simony

> Looking at those numbers, despite the Treo, Palm OS is still down year on year, and is only 37% of the WM VS POS market, with WM the other 62% of course.

Surur, I see you are still preaching the Gospel according to Saint Ed Hansberry, from the Book of pocketpcthoughts.com. Tell me, does St Ed think it's possible for Palm to do anything right? (Stupid question, really.)
Old 08-03-2005, 08:47 PM   #15
Jeff Kirvin
Writer/Podcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAmerican
Ok fine, but the next problem is Enabling Active Text for thumbboards and keyboards. The backspace button acts like the Back button on a CLIE. This makes writing documents very difficult.

It's entirely possible that this won't work very well on a UX50. Those kinds of incompatabilities are part of why I don't use a Clie anymore. Only you can decide if the very real benefits the UX50 confers to you is worth the stuff you have to give up.