Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Tapwave > Zodiac
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2005, 07:57 PM   #1
Joel
1src Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to Joel Send a message via AIM to Joel Send a message via MSN to Joel Send a message via Yahoo to Joel
Post Tapwave discontinues Zodiac business

From Tapwave: "We are sorry to inform you that the Zodiac business was discontinued and service and support are no longer available as of July 25th 2005." [details]
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:01 PM   #2
tungsten t5
Zodiac Is STILL The Best!

your welcome joel. I just can't believe that they shutdown without saying anything!

Updated Palm News, Hacks, Reviews, and more...
http://tamspalm.blogspot.com or http://www.palmattack.blogdns.com
tungsten t5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:03 PM   #3
Joel
1src Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to Joel Send a message via AIM to Joel Send a message via MSN to Joel Send a message via Yahoo to Joel
You're welcome. I know what you mean. I even searched 1src for any past mention of this but there was nothing.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:05 PM   #4
tungsten t5
Zodiac Is STILL The Best!

here is a screenshot if they completely shutdown

http://img280.imageshack.us/img280/...zsadness3ut.png

Updated Palm News, Hacks, Reviews, and more...
http://tamspalm.blogspot.com or http://www.palmattack.blogdns.com
tungsten t5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:15 PM   #5
Unreged

This is where the one saying, 'All good things come to those who wait', does not apply, wait tooo long and you miss out grrrr ;_;.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:17 PM   #6
quasar

Don't leave me, tapwave!

These people are nuts! They have a great product, especially for a first-time product, that I think still is competative specs-wise even after almost 2 years in the market. I have a Zodiac, and there's almost nothing wrong with it! How can they do this? I wish they would give an explanation as to why they're closing down the business, because I doubt it's because of innovation or sales issues. If they released another zodiac, it would rock the marketplace like the first did. On the other hand, it doesn't say that tapwave is going out of business, just that the Zodiac line is kaput. They have mentioned in the past some vague details about future devices in the making, so perhaps they just need to preserve resources to finish the new device and it'll be in another line of products. I think tapwave has the right idea for making PDAs, and I probably wouldn't think twice about buying from them again, and I hope that earlier speculation that Tapwave is going to be a parts manufacturer and not a retailer aren't true. But I don't like how they told us when it happened. Usually when support for a product ends, there's a warning. I'm finding out in the 27th, 2 days after it ended...
quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:18 PM   #7
applejosh

Bummer to hear. It does explain why some developers here were having problems getting their apps signed (or even getting responses from Tapwave), though.
applejosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:27 PM   #8
jjesusfreak01
Custom User

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejosh
Bummer to hear. It does explain why some developers here were having problems getting their apps signed (or even getting responses from Tapwave), though.

It would be an extreme disservice to their customers to not release a generic DAA program for all Zodiacs, in my humble opinion. Im sure everyone agrees. I dont own a Zodiac, but I would suggest that you Zodiac owners make this move quickly so that you ask before they completely shut down.

Sony TG-50, Sony TH-55, Palm TX...TH-55 still the best
jjesusfreak01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:28 PM   #9
ydjk58
Jesus Geek

Send a message via ICQ to ydjk58 Send a message via AIM to ydjk58 Send a message via MSN to ydjk58 Send a message via Yahoo to ydjk58
Exclamation

TO make known here what has been said in the ongoing disscussion of this over at Tapland, people are thinking that perhaps Tapwave.com has been hacked and this may all just be an elaborte hoax. What seems fishy to me is services have been discontinued as of 2 days ago, why wouldn't they make an announcement ahead of time. Also, take notice on the navigation buttons at the top of the page, The have been moved down a few pixels from before, all except the home button. This looks like sloppy editing, perhaps this is just a sick joke done by a group of hackers who apparently forgot to overlook some important details. Also look at the spelling of the liquidtors, its wrong, go to www.tapland.com for more.

Last edited by ydjk58 : 07-27-2005 at 08:44 PM.
ydjk58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:48 PM   #10
JAmerican
Why Does Palm Disappoint?

Looks like some major Palm licensees are discontinuing their lines. I think that Palm should take this as a sign. Sony and Tapwave are gone. I would have gotten a Tapwave if it had a keyboard. Tapwave and Sony have done a great job at getting Palm where it is now but with them out of the market, Palm has no one to model off of. I wonder what they will do? There is power in numbers but without the numbers there is no power.

JAmerican

Handspring Treo 90 --> Royal RG135nx --> T-Mobile Sidekick --> T-Mobile Sidekick Color --> PEG-UX40 -- > PEG-UX50--> Samsung T629 (Returned) -- > Palm TX (SOLD)/T-Mobile Sony Ericsson T610(Defective) --> T-Mobile Dash(Broken Screen) --> ASUS EEE 1000H Black/Treo 800w/PEG-VZ90

Accesories: Transcend 16GB SDHC | 8GB Transcend microSD
JAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:55 PM   #11
Gekko

"Death can come swiftly to a market leader. By the time you have lost the positive-feedback cycle it's often too late to change what you've been doing, and all of the elements of a negative spiral come into play." - Bill Gates, "The Road Ahead", Chapter 3

"In this business, by the time you realize you're in trouble, it's too late to save yourself. Unless you're running scared all the time, you're gone." - Bill Gates
Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:06 PM   #12
quasar

They're not getting hacked. I sent an e-mail to them asking about it, such as why they did it, and got a response stating just what the press release on the site said. I doubt a cracker would crack the e-mail services, too.
quasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:26 PM   #13
jjesusfreak01
Custom User

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasar
They're not getting hacked. I sent an e-mail to them asking about it, such as why they did it, and got a response stating just what the press release on the site said. I doubt a cracker would crack the e-mail services, too.

Us being the skeptical paranoid people we are, could you post the exact test please?

Sony TG-50, Sony TH-55, Palm TX...TH-55 still the best
jjesusfreak01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:27 PM   #14
Gekko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydjk58
TO make known here what has been said in the ongoing disscussion of this over at Tapland, people are thinking that perhaps Tapwave.com has been hacked and this may all just be an elaborte hoax. What seems fishy to me is services have been discontinued as of 2 days ago, why wouldn't they make an announcement ahead of time. Also, take notice on the navigation buttons at the top of the page, The have been moved down a few pixels from before, all except the home button. This looks like sloppy editing, perhaps this is just a sick joke done by a group of hackers who apparently forgot to overlook some important details. Also look at the spelling of the liquidtors, its wrong, go to www.tapland.com for more.

Yes - it's all part of a big conspiracy by MSFT to bring down the Palm economy.
Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:28 PM   #15
Vampire Lestat

Hi tungsten T5,

Jeez, I am so sorry for you. You had a T5, bought a PPC then just recently came back to Palm with a Zodiac; and now they are bankrupt. Ouch.

Are you going to get another T5? You should.