Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Sony > Clie UX-series
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2005, 07:24 AM   #1
JAmerican
Why Does Palm Disappoint?

Technology on Train

While riding the train one day, a guy next to me first had a Sprint Treo 650 and was messing with it. Then he pulls out a Toshiba Tablet PC.Then after modifying Documents, he takes out his PSP and starts playing with it. I thought about how all his devices was like mine in one. Although not as great. Treo 650 has Palm OS just like me, his Tablet has a rotating screen and keyboard like me. His PSP has multimedia and entertainment just like mine. Although he has more powerful devices overall, I have a lighter carrying load

While on the train in general, I noticed two other guys with Treo 650. I usually see th Treos a lot on the train, which amazed me. I rarely saw Pocket PCs. I used Bluetooth and found one but have not seen a lot. I saw see a guy who has a TT5. Another time I saw a guy with an old Sony CLIE. It was the one with a portrait screen and keyboard. It had like a black border on the bottom of the screen while in tablet mode, although the device was white/grey. It didn't have buttons under the screen.

Amazing how many devices I see especially running PalmOS.

JAmerican

Handspring Treo 90 --> Royal RG135nx --> T-Mobile Sidekick --> T-Mobile Sidekick Color --> PEG-UX40 -- > PEG-UX50--> Samsung T629 (Returned) -- > Palm TX (SOLD)/T-Mobile Sony Ericsson T610(Defective) --> T-Mobile Dash(Broken Screen) --> ASUS EEE 1000H Black/Treo 800w/PEG-VZ90

Accesories: Transcend 16GB SDHC | 8GB Transcend microSD
JAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 08:31 AM   #2
choongyouqi
software engineer

In my country everyone is carrying a pocketpc...
choongyouqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:25 PM   #3
Tam Hanna

In Austria, if you use a Palm you are stared at most of the time!

Visit my blog at http://tamspalm.tamoggemon.com to learn more about the PalmOS platform!
TamsPPC-the PocketPC Blog
TamsS60
Tam Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 05:14 PM   #4
Amstel
palmInsider

I am afraid in Europe is more common to see PPCs around

Old 07-20-2005, 05:32 PM   #5
SonyStyle
Clie Fanatic

i dont see any here in canada

Motorola RAZR V3, Nokia 8801
SonyStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:59 PM   #6
LupeValenz
(^_^)/ Hi

Send a message via Yahoo to LupeValenz
I don't see many people who uses any PPC or Palms around me I feel sooo lonely. I would even be happy to see a PPC user so we can compare what one OS can do compared to the other ^_^.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:12 PM   #7
JAmerican

Quote:
Originally Posted by LupeValenz
I don't see many people who uses any PPC or Palms around me I feel sooo lonely. I would even be happy to see a PPC user so we can compare what one OS can do compared to the other ^_^.

I did that with three PPC people in my school. They thought my rotating screen was cool. They keyboard was even better. The thing that I liked about their device was Consumer IrDA, background in default launcher, multitasking. I did notice in one of the new HP devices that it lags and shows the loading sign a lot. I was gunhoe about getting the HTC Universal but now I feel like sticking with my TH-powered UX50. LOL.

JAmerican

Handspring Treo 90 --> Royal RG135nx --> T-Mobile Sidekick --> T-Mobile Sidekick Color --> PEG-UX40 -- > PEG-UX50--> Samsung T629 (Returned) -- > Palm TX (SOLD)/T-Mobile Sony Ericsson T610(Defective) --> T-Mobile Dash(Broken Screen) --> ASUS EEE 1000H Black/Treo 800w/PEG-VZ90

Old 07-21-2005, 02:24 AM   #8
.PoNeH
UX-50 + 512 MB = OWNAGE!

Send a message via AIM to .PoNeH
PalmOS has led the market for a while. Windows has just taken the lead and it will take a while before you see them more often in the USA. In other countries though, PPCs have always been ahead.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:45 AM   #9
Amstel
palmInsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by .PoNeH
PalmOS has led the market for a while. Windows has just taken the lead and it will take a while before you see them more often in the USA. In other countries though, PPCs have always been ahead.

I agree and I think it's just a sales distribution and promotion issue: in Spain there are thoosands of PPC resellers but not so many of Palm. I guess Microsoft has invested mucho more money in distribution and promotion in Europe.

Other importante fact is that while only Palm itself and Sony before manufacture PalmOS devices, there are lots of PPC manufacturers and that makes the difference

Old 07-21-2005, 05:05 AM   #10
Tam Hanna

Well, but the austrian PPC sales mostly are just as navigation systems...

Visit my blog at http://tamspalm.tamoggemon.com to learn more about the PalmOS platform!
TamsPPC-the PocketPC Blog
TamsS60
Tam Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:20 AM   #11
m0nkeyb0y
God Warrior

Palm has been bigger here in the UK for a while (IMO), but with the releases of TomTom Navigator versions 3 and 5, the PPC market is now zooming ahead...

Need some high quality, professional writing for your site? I am a professional tech copywriter at Tech Write

Into digital scrapbooking? Digital Monsoon has got you covered!
m0nkeyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 10:44 AM   #12
danopoly

Send a message via MSN to danopoly
well, here in vancouver canada, i c people with palm os all the time when im busing. Most of em are old devices, mainly clie sj series i c. And during the school year, i found out that most of my friends have PDA's even the girls that dont look like they are into gadgets have pda's. Its strange how people u dont expect to have pda's do have em. But most people with palm os dun seem to upgrade though, my brothers GF has a clie sj22 (i think it was called) that she still uses! my gosh!
NX70, Tungsten T5(x2), Zire 72, TH55(x2), Treo600, Tungsten E2, HP iPAQ h1940(x2), UX50, iPAQ RX3115, iPAQ RX1950, Axim x51v.
danopoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 12:24 PM   #13
intellidryad
Clie lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAmerican
...Another time I saw a guy with an old Sony CLIE. It was the one with a portrait screen and keyboard. It had like a black border on the bottom of the screen while in tablet mode, although the device was white/grey. It didn't have buttons under the screen.

Amazing how many devices I see especially running PalmOS.

JAmerican

That must be the NX70 or the NR70 ^^

I guess the number of PPCs and palms I see are about equal, but some how, palm users seem to be more willing to "let people know what they're using", while PPCs are usually either in a black leather case or only used for a second or two. Clie and palm Vx users expecially like to use their devices in a way that everyone can get a clear view what he/she is using

Treos are very rare here in Taiwan, since there's almost "no marketing" campaign on treos, I don't think much people even know what a Treo is. And most stores don't have them either. Instead, PPC smartphones by the brand of "Dopod" (under all kinds of different brand names worldwide such as O2, XDA...) are most common here.

Speaking of comparing palms and PPCs, I converted 2 of my classmates. A high school classmate bought a Toshiba PPC, and as I played with it, I started telling him how different a Clie is to a PPC. Then, one month after he bought the Toshiba, he sold it and bought a NX70, for it's better mutimedia capabilities. And that was my first chance to really play with a clie (He said that of all PDAs only sonys and toshibas have decent sound quality, but he somehow got bored of the toshiba...) And in my college freshmen year, my (other) classmate got a acer PPC. I was curious, and took out my then newly bought NX73 to compare. I told him I didn't like windows, and simply had a feeling that this acer is a piece of junk(trust me,it sucks in PPC standards). He didn't say much at the time, but suddenly showed up with a brand new TH55, only a week after it's release date in Japan! Boy was I shocked! Maybe I'm a better platform converter then I realised
intellidryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 04:10 AM   #14
Pdaman
Retired pda user

Talking Is here anyone from Finland who has th55? i don't think so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstel
I am afraid in Europe is more common to see PPCs around

That is true also i afraid that i'm only one in Finland who has th55, actually i don't afraid i'm just the lucky and happy one who has that gadget

(sorry my english, it needs still some updating )
Sony Clie Th55 = Simple as that, the the best pda what I have ever owned! However even it didn't keep me in the Pda world. About my gadgets, I'm now just using my psp, camera and cellphone. Maybe I will someday get a new pda, but it must to have phone cababilities so I don't need to use my regular cellphone anymore. And yeah, this means I won't be hanging in here 1src that much anymore. If someone want me to remove unfinished threads from 1src or something just pm me. Keep your gadgets running!
Pdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 08:42 AM   #15
JAmerican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdaman
That is true also i afraid that i'm only one in Finland who has th55, actually i don't afraid i'm just the lucky and happy one who has that gadget

(sorry my english, it needs still some updating )

At least you can speak multiple languages. I find that to be so cool.

I can understand you. Just to correct you so you learn, this is the correct way to say what you just said.

Quote:
That is true also i am afraid that i'm the only one in Finland who has a th55, actually i am not afraid, i'm just the lucky and happy one who has the gadget

(sorry for my english, it still needs some updating )

JAmerican