Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Topic Specific > Off-Topic > OT: Gaming
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2005, 01:01 AM   #1
Homie S

Send a message via AIM to Homie S
Nintendo confirms: No HD support for next-gen console

http://cube.ign.com/articles/624/624200p1.html

Quote:
Nintendo on the other hand, has downplayed the role of technology in its future console, codenamed Revolution, which is believed to ship in the latter half of 2006. Company president Satoru Iwata says that advancing technology has stifled the creativity of developers. Revolution, a slick, relatively small console, has been designed to be "quiet and affordable," according to company executives. As a result, the platform will likely be less powerful than PS3 and Xbox 360.

A customer service e-mail informed Nintendo fans last week that the company would not offer high-definition support for Revolution. However, the e-mail was immediately changed to state that Nintendo was undecided about whether or not to support the format. Since then, it appears to have made up its mind and HD is again officially out.

"It is accurate that at this time we will not support high-definition [on Revolution]," confirms Nintendo of America's vice president of corporate affairs, Perrin Kaplan.

"Nintendo's Revolution is being built with a variety of gamers' needs in mind, such as quick start-up time, high power, and ease of use for development and play. It's also compact and sleek, and has beautiful graphics in which to enjoy innovative games," Kaplan says. "Nintendo doesn't plan for the system to be HD compatible as with that comes a higher price for both the consumer and also the developer creating the game. Will it make the game better to play? With the technology being built into the Revolution, we believe the games will look brilliant and play brilliantly. This can all be done without HD."

Nintendo could once again be sending mixed signals to potential audiences. The Revolution is designed to look like a high-end electronics component, but it lacks a defining element of other next-generation systems, which is of course compatibility with the high-definition standard. The company refused to support online gaming this generation, which some believe was a clear sign of shortsightedness, and as a result it alienated both third parties and consumers interested in the online movement. Might its refusal to embrace the HD format similarly backfire? Microsoft says yes.

"We're committed to delivering a product that caters to the needs of our consumers. To develop a console devoid of HD capability would be to alienate an important facet of the industry," says Microsoft's Henshaw. "High Definition is gaining momentum extremely quickly and we've developed advanced technologies that ensure that our games look great on standard definition television sets as well as HDTV sets. We're not limiting our audience by delivering to one quadrant of society. We want to ensure that everyone, whether they own an HD or standard definition set, gets the most out of the experience."

That Nintendo would choose to publicly dismiss high-definition games for Revolution rather than simply downplaying them could suggest that the console might be physically unable to output HD quality games. The company, notorious for its cost-cutting measures, may have opted to eliminate component output from its forthcoming system, which would make it impossible to display anything higher than standard definition signals, even if the hardware is powerful enough to render more. Nintendo has not yet confirmed what kind of output Revolution will feature.

"To think that Nintendo might not even embrace component output is absurd. If that's true, which quite frankly I doubt, I think that's a mistake. There's no doubt about it," says F5's Eggebrecht, who adds that HD-compatible consoles will make the transition to HD speedier. "It's a little bit sad that as a hardware manufacturer you wouldn't be embracing that because quite frankly it's exciting."

Do you think this will hurt Nintendo in the console race? Personally, when it launches, no; no one will care. In the long run? I think this could be a factor in some consumer's choices of buying. Obviously it won't affect Nintendo's core consumer base who are loyal to their products, but I think there's a possibility it might hurt sales later on. I mean, first no online support for present-gen, and now this? It certainly isn't a big deal, and their argument for not including HD support does hold water, but I really do think that later on in the selling year, it could prove a bit costly. Just my thoughts though. Discuss!
Homie S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 03:21 AM   #2
JackAxe
Barbarian Artist

I didn't honestly think it would have an HD, nor had I really put any thought into it. The concept machine is smaller then my external Maxtor. I guess they'll be boosting sales of memory cards for peeps that want to download old games.

Asking Microsofts' assessments on what does and does not work was a good idea on IGN's part. The same company that has rampant piracy because of their internal HD and will probably never make a profit on their XBox is an expert in my book. Obviously MS cut corners on their hardware also, this explains why their load times are so horridly slow. Another downfall to an HD, is that games can be released with bugs, and then expect their users to download a patch later on. But since MS doesn't make a game machine, I guess that's excusable.

Anyways, if a game could benifiet from an HD like Final Fantasy, what's stopping Nintendo from selling it as an add on like Sony did for the PS2? But Nintendo has already proven that they can make great games without an HD, games that also load quickly. But if they released a new Zelda that required an external HD, they would have my money, they already have it now.

http://www.filerushnews.com/gallery/album180

<]=)

I be a hearty pirate that plunders many waffles.

The Dread Pirate Monkey Gizmo has scurvy! :)

Nintendo DS and Wii, me gaming machines of choice.
JackAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 03:17 PM   #3
Homie S

Send a message via AIM to Homie S
No I agree, Microsoft has nothing to do with this topic (they're just trying to boast and report completely one sided), but that's a good point about the memory cards. We all have heard of talks about being able to play old console games on it, and I could definitely see sales go for that, so who knows.

Also, what add on could you buy to make PS2 compatible? I just thought you needed something like a component adapter (like for Gran Turismo 4 for example). However, I really have no idea, we have an HD-ready TV but not setup to do it.
Homie S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 03:28 PM   #4
jjesusfreak01
Custom User

If you have seen a good SD picture, you may realize that it can look very good. Video in 30fps thats crystal clear looks nice regardless of being SD or HD. I am sure that Nintendo will include Progressive Scan output, as the GameCube had it. Progressive scan and clear pictures can do alot to make it look good. Nintendo also did not deny games using enhanced definition as even a standard for games.

FYI, Enhanced Definition is about 768 by 480, its wider but not taller than a regular picture.

If Nintendo is wise, they will include a component output, and a RCA output. This will allow compatability with any TV, but also easily allow for the progressive scan and wide outputs.

Sony TG-50, Sony TH-55, Palm TX...TH-55 still the best

Last edited by jjesusfreak01 : 06-13-2005 at 03:34 PM.
jjesusfreak01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:58 PM   #5
JackAxe
Barbarian Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homie S
No I agree, Microsoft has nothing to do with this topic (they're just trying to boast and report completely one sided), but that's a good point about the memory cards. We all have heard of talks about being able to play old console games on it, and I could definitely see sales go for that, so who knows.

Also, what add on could you buy to make PS2 compatible? I just thought you needed something like a component adapter (like for Gran Turismo 4 for example). However, I really have no idea, we have an HD-ready TV but not setup to do it.

I'm a tard, I was talking about a hard drive.

<]=)

Old 06-13-2005, 07:11 PM   #6
JackAxe
Barbarian Artist

I hope Nintendo does include HD, I don't have it here at home, but I'll eventually be upgrading, and it would be nice if my new Nintendo supported it.

There is a 480p adapter for the Gamcube, but it really doesn't make that much of a difference:
http://www.nintendo.com/gcnlarge?ga...ory&currentNo=8

It helped on that vomit game Rogue Squadron 3, by making it a tiny bit easier to discern the stars from the ships.

But it has to be true HD support, not this BS that Microsoft pushed on the XBox. My friend pointed out to me, the super video cable actually produces a nicer overall image then going through 480p on his XBox, and any higher degrades the image.

<]=)

Old 06-14-2005, 01:26 AM   #7
Karim

Send a message via AIM to Karim Send a message via Yahoo to Karim

Two things are happening here. One, Nintendo is right about what they're saying. Two, they are stupid to put this stance into physical reality in their console. From a marketing and money-making standpoint, it's suicide because all they are doing is alienating groups of people in order to cut costs. The customers you gain by lowering prices are not going to help you win money-wise. Philosophically, they are sound. They always are. But no one is going to want to put big cool super-selling games on a philosophically sound game console, they're going to put them on a marketable one.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 04:10 AM   #8
JackAxe
Barbarian Artist

Nintendo will just continue to do what they do best, produce quality titles.

But the cost thing is only speculation on IGN's parts, unless I read it wrong?

Anyways, I think one of the reasons they might not include higher HD support, is beacause there was practically no demand for it on the GameCube. But Nintendo also didn't foresee a demand for the VRAM upgrade for the N64, and was suprised when their limited supply sold out.

Anyways, I'm buying a Revolution the day it comes out. I waited a year to buy my GameCube. I play games on the 27" TV in my office, it's old and blacks out everyonce and a while. It's kind of sad that my computer screen is larger.

<]=)

Old 06-14-2005, 05:29 AM   #9
Cyker

JackAxe - lol! I thought they were talking about Hard Disks as well until I read the whole thread!

I don't care so much about HighDef - I don't know a single person in the UK that has a TV that can even do HighDef.
The US market is definitely bigger for that kinda stuff, but outside the US, the takeup of HighDef seems very slow. Heck, I don't think we even get HighDef signals here!
Cyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:06 PM   #10
JackAxe
Barbarian Artist

The sad part, is that I did read that the whole article and noticed the info on high-def. And I said to myself, why are the writing about this stuff so much, get back to the hard drive topic. Bleh.

You peeps have all that PAL stuff. It's actually a higher rez then the NTSC/DVD standards being used here. The base rez of PAL is 768x576. Your Wide PAL is 1024x576. NTSC is only 720x540 and wide is 864x486.

HDTV is still mostly hype. H.264 is the best thing I've seen, so hopefully it becomes the norm for HD content.

<]=)

Old 06-14-2005, 01:20 PM   #11
jjesusfreak01
Custom User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyker
JackAxe - lol! I thought they were talking about Hard Disks as well until I read the whole thread!

I don't care so much about HighDef - I don't know a single person in the UK that has a TV that can even do HighDef.
The US market is definitely bigger for that kinda stuff, but outside the US, the takeup of HighDef seems very slow. Heck, I don't think we even get HighDef signals here!

Yeah, you thought us Americans cant make decisions? It was only very recently that the UK decided to use a system for HD similar to the US standard. Japan is in front, but the US is close behind, and the UK is lagging on the HD front. You havent watched TV, until you've watched HD.

Old 06-14-2005, 04:10 PM   #12
JackAxe
Barbarian Artist

You haven't watched overly compressed artifact littered TV, until you've watched HD. This is how it is down here in Southern California, since the TVs are too good for the broadast being streamed. H.264 will remedy this though, and that's TV I would enjoy watching. But then again, the turkeys at the broadcast station could just use it to stream out more channels, so the quality would still remain vomit worthy.

I think by next year things willl really start to look up. Then I'm moving are old Trinitron 36" into my office and getting whatever looks good and fits my budget.

<]=)

Old 06-14-2005, 04:31 PM   #13
jjesusfreak01
Custom User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAxe
You haven't watched overly compressed artifact littered TV, until you've watched HD. This is how it is down here in Southern California, since the TVs are too good for the broadast being streamed. H.264 will remedy this though, and that's TV I would enjoy watching. But then again, the turkeys at the broadcast station could just use it to stream out more channels, so the quality would still remain vomit worthy.

I think by next year things willl really start to look up. Then I'm moving are old Trinitron 36" into my office and getting whatever looks good and fits my budget.

<]=)

Luckily, I live in Raleigh, NC, the location of the worlds first HD news channel, WRAL. They have been broadcasting in HD since before you could go out and buy an HDTV. All of the networks have an HD channel, though only WRAL broadcasts almost everything in HD (The only non HD stuff they broadcast is what they are obligated to by the network, its CBS). Besides the local channels, we get a PBS HD channel. Thats just what we could get by strapping an antenna on the roof. Through cable, we also get TNTHD and DiscoveryHD with the HD set top. If we buy the HD Suite, they give us ESPN HD (soon ESPN 2HD), INHD, INHD2, HDNET, HDNET Movies, HD Movies On Demand, and an HD Pay Per View channel. Thats 16HD channels if you also include HBO and Showtime, and 10 of those broadcast over 90% of their content in HD all the time.

I should also mention the signal is perfect, it doesnt get fuzzy or break up.

Last edited by jjesusfreak01 : 06-14-2005 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:05 PM   #14
JackAxe
Barbarian Artist

Sadly, I have Cox, as do most of my friends and relatives who have HD screens. Where I live is all fiber optics, but the HD news, Discovery HD, all of what I've seen in my area looks bad. Kind of like an overly compressed digital camera image. Artifacts and compression are very noticeable. Even on a standard TV, I see compression now days, and of course sometimes the image will scramble into boxes as the stream rebuffers. It's quick, but still annoying.

This gives me hope; (The 720P trailer is very clean, even better then the Batman 1080i trailer.)
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/hdga...omofheaven.html

So hopefully Cox will start streaming that kind of quality, then I would be happy with a HDTV.

<]=)

Old 06-15-2005, 01:57 PM   #15
zackepceo
nothing to hide

Send a message via AIM to zackepceo Send a message via MSN to zackepceo Send a message via Yahoo to zackepceo
The revolution has 512MB of internal flash RAM and SD card support.. no big deal.

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism."
zackepceo is offline   Reply With Quote