Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Palm > LifeDrive
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2005, 07:51 AM   #1
mareuter
Nuisance

Smile Upgrading to LifeDrive?

I thought this might be a good first thread (well, second really) for the new forum.

If you will be ordering a LifeDrive in the first weeks its available (making you an early adopter), what will you be upgrading from and why?

Personally, I'll be upgrading from a T|C (probably as soon as the order page is up). My reasons are:
1. I won't be able to get rid of my iPod completely, but I'll be able to have a number of my favorite albums with me at all times (I'm often without my iPod);
2. I've got a 19 month old son and another baby on the way, so my only time to read is at night. I'm an avid reader and have gotten used to reading eBooks once all the lights are out, so the larger screen (and landscape) is very attractive;
3. I've got +50MB of photos and another +100MB of eBooks that I'd like to be able to have at my fingertips rather than spread across a couple of SD cards. Plus, I've had some crash/corruption issues with SD so I'd like to get away from them completely;
4. I can write it off as a business expense... ;-)

Cons: I'll miss the keyboard, I'm pretty sure.

Mike
mareuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:01 AM   #2
clie_wannabe
whatever you may like...
Silver Contributor

Posts: 839 clie_wannabe is an unknown quantity at this point
i just got myself a Clie VZ90 last January - and i dont think my wife would sign my "purchase order request"...

i guess, for me, would just have to wait until the second-or-third-generation Life Drive comes out (around next year)...
Casio Digital Diary > Zaurus PI-7000 > Zaurus PI-8000 > Cassiopeia A-51V > Palm Vx > Palm 3C > Mobile Gear MC/R300 > Cassiopeia E100 > Visor Prism > Clie N750C > Genio e550GX > NX70V > T-600C, iPAQ 3850 > NX80V, Zaurus SL-c750 > TJ25, UX50 > Loox 610 BT/WL --> Clie VZ90 + 1GB MemStick --> Axim X50V + 2GB High-Speed SD + 1GB Sandisk Ultra2
clie_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:19 AM   #3
LexLuther
Just thinking

I wish, I wish...

The LD is pro bably exactly what I want but I upgraded from the venerable M515 just a few months ago to a T3 (just before the T5 came out). I wanted a voice recorder so the choice was both hard and easy. Since I have a wifi home network I would love not having to always pop in the sd card. But again the "purchase request" might fail - "what do you need another for?". However, I have a big payout coming from work (ie unemployment!@$#%) so maybe I will need some P1 therapy to keep me happy
I do like the slider in some ways but i have to say it was not really well done - a bit slack and loose - but cool to open. Anyway, I would also love to have a LD that has the same size hard drive as my wife's laptop. As for a replacement for usb keys I don't think so, but as a place to carry my life? DEFINATELY. Whatever anyone says this is actually a good name and people will be surprised how well this sells just because of that. Okay is isn't the techiest name but it will appeal to the masses. ANd isn't that what we all want, a P1 in every hand?
Old 05-17-2005, 08:28 AM   #4
FrankG

If it had a camera, definitely.... and I'd promise to keep it for at least a year.

Frank
IIIx -> N610 -> NR70V -> NX60 -> NR70V -> NX70V -> T3 -> Z72 ->next stop where? Treo 650 or LD???
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:31 AM   #5
xyeta

Been waiting for a reason to upgrade from my NX80V... I now have a reason!
Old 05-17-2005, 08:35 AM   #6
mdlsimpson

I agree, if it had a camera, perfect.... but I am still going to go for one because it has all the other features I want in a PDA. This thing reminds me so much of a Sony device....hey! rumour time! Did sony have any input in this device? (I wonder if the screen is made by Sharp or Sony? I'm sure someone will disassemble one for us!)
Previous Owner: Palm Pilot Pro. Palm III, Palm IIIc, Palm V, Palm Vx, m505, m515, Zire 71, Tungsten T, Sony Clie n710c, T615c, SJ22, NX70v, TG50, NX80, TJ35, TJ37, Tungsten E, Zire 72, UX50, TH55, UX50, E2, T5, TX and too many Pocket PC's to admit
[COLOR=Red][B]Current Owner: Palm Centro
mdlsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:58 AM   #7
Reggie
1src Founder

I think that one of PalmOne's target market for the LD is the business sector and a lot of business don't allow bringing in cameras.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:18 AM   #8
Adrenochrome
Evolving...

Yup, I'll have one as soon as I am satisfied with the early reviews. I was waiting to upgrade from a Visor Pro when the TH55 appeared, and I thought that was my machine until Sony left. Didn't want to get stuck with MS sticks, and didn't like the slow processor, so I bought a used T2 as a holdover. This LD is exactly what I'm looking for. I use my T2 for everything, all day, and nearly everything I feel is lacking in it, is present in the LD.

I just need to know a bluetooth keyboard can work at the same time as the Wifi connection. Plus it better sound good. But my birthday is in three weeks, (and I'm a dad and a grad this year) so I think I can spend my marital capital and have this puppy in my pocket soon.
Adrenochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:16 AM   #9
ptmin

GREAT
From my first palm 515 to Tungsten T3 now am ready for the Live Drive can anyone realy mention the actual battery capacity before i jump on that tomorrow thank for any idea
P
Old 05-17-2005, 11:38 AM   #10
Funky Gibbon
Surrender Primate

I bought my T3 in October 2003 and have used it constantly since that time for work and pleasure. Just yesterday the battery started losing its charge and although this can be resolved temporarily with an in cradle hard reset and recondition, my experience with my old m505 is that once this happens the end of the road is at hand.

While I'll be an early adopter of the LifeDrive in the UK logistics means that many of the biggest problems with the new device should have been discovered by users on the more belligerent side of the Atlantic.
Funky Gibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:46 AM   #11
JustTesting

Upgrading like others _after_ the first reviews (and possibly once other stores get it and have it cheaper than at Palm). Replacing non-used IIIx and borrowing my wife's E2. Been waiting a long time for this, lets hope they don't dissapoint.

At the rate of mini-HD capacity, I wonder how long before this is just about worthless (like my IIIx is now) since it only holds 4GB. I expect in a year maybe two with the current 40+ GB drives out.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:52 AM   #12
tonyreynolds
Sr. Industrial Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlsimpson
I agree, if it had a camera, perfect.... but I am still going to go for one because it has all the other features I want in a PDA. This thing reminds me so much of a Sony device....hey! rumour time! Did sony have any input in this device? (I wonder if the screen is made by Sharp or Sony? I'm sure someone will disassemble one for us!)

I agree about the camera ;(

I also agree about Sony. I wanted to post this in another thread, but it didn't seem appropriate...

This thing has SONY ALL OVER IT. It's as if it's a next-gen Clie without the Clie name (or the Memory Stick...)

Tony

Past PDA's: Palm Personal, Palm Pro, Palm IIIx; HandEra 330; HP Jornada 525, 548, 565; Treo 90; Sony Clie NZ90, TG50, Toshiba Genio e550G, Sony Clie TH55, iPAQ hx4700

the perfect PDA has not yet been invented - TR
tonyreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:09 PM   #13
mace2k
Robot in training

Yes, I'll be buying one.

I went to the dark side (PPC) for a while...and finally got tired of all the lock-ups, data issues, etc... with ALL of the PPCs I've owned. My T|C has NEVER let me down, and I'm looking to the Lifedrive as a replacement for it. Nothing wrong at all with my T|C, I'm just looking for more storage space and a larger screen for reading ebooks.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:19 PM   #14
Festus440
Silver Contributor

I made sure to "warn my wife" in plenty of time

Come get some stuff at my little web page:
http://www.festus440.happypalm.com/
Festus440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:54 PM   #15
tk_421

missing A LOT to be a CLIE

If the LifeDrive had an application to read native PDF files, a way to consult mht files like Netfront (compressed html - saved websites), a camera, and a Flash Player, then it WOULD be a CLIE.

Right now it's still missing too many things to make it a really productive buiseness device. A 500$ device should definitely be able to read native PDF files, don't you think?

If anybody can find a way to make Picsel Viewer and Netfront work in landscape on this device, then I will be buying it FOR SURE. Otherwise I may very well go to the Dark Side (hey! Episode 3 is tomorrow!) and get a PPC, maybe a Toshiba if they release a Windows Mobile 5.0 version.

The Life Drive is like some Ferrari with a Volkswagon engine under the hood. Near perfect hardware, but limited software.

Anyone wants to do a little hacking experiment? I have all the files you woul need, just tell me if interested.
tk_421 is offline   Reply With Quote