Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
  NEWS
  Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
  FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
  Games
  Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
  Audio/Video
  Cellphones
  Digital Cameras
  Gaming
  Gadgets & Gizmos
  Non-Palm OS PDAs
  PCs/Laptops
  Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
  FREEWARE
  Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
  ABOUT US
  Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
  LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices: 

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Sony > Clie TH-series
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2005, 12:16 AM   #1
daver
The Nutty 'Nuckie

Send a message via MSN to daver Send a message via Yahoo to daver
Question (Clie Organizer): me a hypocrite? NO... ok, maybe...

hi all,

first of all, i have a question for all you fellow Clie owners, old and young (clie models that is ):

i've an SJ20 that came with Intellisync Lite that worked flawlessly (yes, flawlessly: a common myth associated with Intellisync) with Outlook versions prior to Outlook 2003. Recently, I purchased a TJ37 which came with an updated version of Intellisync Lite that works with Outlook 2003. However, no matter what settings I change, how many books i throw at my computer, and how many keyboards i must smash against the top of my computer monitor, Intellisync Lite refuses to keep my address book/contacts entries in proper order. I have contacts with multiple e-mail address and phone numbers that all end up in one entry. For example, Mr. Robert Smith will have phone numbers 123-456-7890 and 456-654-1234, as well as e-mail addresses rob.smith@hotmail.com and bobsmith@yahoo.com. when i sync this contact, it'll show up in the "mobile" (cell phone number) field in the PIM app as "123-456-7890 456-654-1234 rob.smith@hotmail.com bobsmith@yahoo.com", all in one line. does anyone else have this problem, or one like this? many of my contact entries have multiple phone numbers and e-mail addresses, and as you can imagine, it's a pain in the butt trying to look up numbers .

so that's my question. now it's time to raise some eyebrows around here and explain why i'm a hypocrite:
i've given up with buggy ol' Intellisync Lite and gone to Clie Organizer just to give it a try. and, the verdict is .... (drum roll)... i like it. it's nice and easy to use, seems easier to organize than the old built-in PIM apps because of colours, and syncs flawlessly with the PC conduit. however, it seems that people hate CO. i do not see why as it works fine on my TH55, and i haven't run into any problems yet. since i don't use alarms, the alarms bug freeze doesn't affect me. i remember vaguely that i said i didn't like CO some time ago... why, i don't know. i just remember saying that. maybe i thought it was too buggy on the TJ37... pretty stupid of me to say that while using CO on a non-TH55 device.

Clie Organizer is good, but it doesn't sync with Outlook, the only downside i see at this moment. I've read up on Chapura Pocket Mirror, and it looks just like Intellisync. most of my social life is held together by Outlook 2003 (yes, i'm somewhat of a nerd :cool. with your personal and/or objective opinions, would you suggest i invest in a working PIM data sync program?

I AM CANADIAN!
Canuck PDA (http://canuck-pda.ca)

Back of left hand - Left arm - Paper & pen - broken Palm IIIxe - SJ20 - TJ37 - iPaq 1940 (broken digitizer) - TH55 - Treo 700p

Last edited by daver : 04-06-2005 at 12:45 AM. Reason: i'm truly an idiot: i still can't spell right...
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 01:44 PM   #2
Ion Control
Super Saiyan Sony Owner

I don't like CO because it's slow and takes more time to enter a new appt (in regular datebook, just click on the time and write (I fine-tune the time later if I need to)).

As for syncing w/ Outlook... In Outlook, do you have the two e-mail address in different fields (i.e. E-mail 1 and E-mail 2)? Did you map those fields to different fields in the Clié? Intellisync Lite should have an option to determine which Outlook fields match to certain Contacts fields. Just set one of the custom fields in Contacts to be "E-mail 2" or soemthing like that then set up the matching in Intellisync...
It never ceases to amaze me that people think a man is a good president if he'll cut a vacation short and, in his pajamas, sign a piece of legislature for one brain-dead woman but won't comment for 3 days on a natural disaster that kills over 100,000 or a school shooting on an Indian reservation. America has the government it deserves...
Ion Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 02:22 PM   #3
daver
The Nutty 'Nuckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion Control
I don't like CO because it's slow and takes more time to enter a new appt (in regular datebook, just click on the time and write (I fine-tune the time later if I need to)).

As for syncing w/ Outlook... In Outlook, do you have the two e-mail address in different fields (i.e. E-mail 1 and E-mail 2)? Did you map those fields to different fields in the Clié? Intellisync Lite should have an option to determine which Outlook fields match to certain Contacts fields. Just set one of the custom fields in Contacts to be "E-mail 2" or soemthing like that then set up the matching in Intellisync...

yep, i've tried the field mapping already. tried re-installing it too. i even went as far as installing Office XP on one of my virual machines along side the old version of Intelisync Lite taht came with my SJ20. still screws up the contact's fields. i think it's pumatech's way of trying to make us buy their software. didn't work on me. but thanks for the suggestion!

the reason why i prefer CO over the built-in PIM apps is because of the colours in the date book. for example, i have different colours for dinner/lunch dates, doctors appointments, upcoming midterms and homework assignment due dates, etc etc. so there's my defense for using CO, in case any of you think i'm a moron for liking CO.

daver

I AM CANADIAN!

Back of left hand - Left arm - Paper & pen - broken Palm IIIxe - SJ20 - TJ37 - iPaq 1940 (broken digitizer) - TH55 - Treo 700p
Old 04-06-2005, 02:40 PM   #4
Kosmonoko

For CO when inputting data i use the computer. SO i would not find CO slow because i use it for viewing my schedule. When i need to change schedule i will use use the pen/ finger and make the necessary changes or indications.
Kosmonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 03:11 PM   #5
broadus
Senior Novice

I've used CO for a year plus now. I ltried DB5 but found it too complicated for my needs. I do not use Outlook, however.

Bill
Old 04-07-2005, 01:17 AM   #6
daver
The Nutty 'Nuckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmonoko
For CO when inputting data i use the computer. SO i would not find CO slow because i use it for viewing my schedule. When i need to change schedule i will use use the pen/ finger and make the necessary changes or indications.
that seems to be how i use CO now. i also make little changes on the fly with the ability to write directly over the appointment time with the pen thingy. i find that extremely useful as you do not need to open up the entry and tool with the VG (i prefer the VG down for more screen real estate, only the status bar showing). for example, i just found out that the meeting for tomorrow night is cancelled, so i just jotted down "CANCELLED" in nice big red letters across the appointment time.

YAY! I hit post #500!! Woohoo!

I AM CANADIAN!

Old 04-07-2005, 04:32 AM   #7
fssia
Senior Certified Penguin

But don't you find launching CO is slower than the first time you "play" with your new TH55? As soon as I imported all my dbs from SJ33, launching CO becomes slower. It's much faster to load the normal PIM functions. Even navigating between the tabs in CO also became slower!

I thought may be it's cuz of the stickers, thumbnails & etc I added. But even after deleting them, CO still slow. I tried purging and still it's slow. So how to remedy this? I really wish to use CO since it's so cool.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:21 AM   #8
viktorn

Clie Organizer is THE application which was the main reason why I bought TH55 a year ago. I had always been pen and paper Filofax type person. Having seen the tabbed inteface of CO, ability to write anywhere on the screen and flexibility of free notes I immediately fell in love with it and bought the PDA (BTW, TH55 is my first PDA ever). Regarding other PIMs: I evaluated Agendus and although it is a very good organizer I came back to CO. Now I am curious what will Life@Hand look like when it is released this summer.
viktorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:24 AM   #9
cktlcmd
Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmonoko

How were you able to get CO for PC to work well with your TH55? I tried reformatting my computer and installing CO for PC and just the TH55's palm program and still I get errors when I hotsync. I even installed all the updates from the SONY site but nothing works without the errors. Now I reformatted my computer again and afraid to end up with those errors again, so I had not tried installing it yet.

Palm Tungsten T>Sony UX40>Sony UX50>Sony TH55/E1>HTC Universal (O2 XDA Executive)
cktlcmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:23 AM   #10
tonyreynolds
Sr. Industrial Designer

As Nice as CO Appears....

...I have ended up deleting it from my desktop, I decided NOT to load it on my notebook.

I HAVE to be able to sync with Outlook for corporate email. Outlook and CO don't play well together. The built-in Palm planner, while plain-Jane, is easier and, as noted by others, faster.

The colors for seperate appointments DO NOT necessarily transfer between the Clie and the desktop.

Here's what I do:

1. ALL appoinments are entered in the Clie.

2. I sync daily with my desktop. Pocket Mirror keeps Outlook updated.

3. That in turn through Activsync keeps my PPC current as a backup PDA.

4. Every few days, I sync with my notebook to the Palm desktop for yet another backup.

One problem I have is that I have a second, seperate corporate login through Citrix that opens a virtual desktop on another server. I have NOT been able to finda way to sync Outlook on the real and virtual desktops, so I just gave up and handwrite individual appointments as necessary from the virtual machine.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Oh well, at least I have my schedule in multiple places, whereas if I lost my Daytimer like the old days, I'd be outta luck.

Tony

Past PDA's: Palm Personal, Palm Pro, Palm IIIx; HandEra 330; HP Jornada 525, 548, 565; Treo 90; Sony Clie NZ90, TG50, Toshiba Genio e550G, Sony Clie TH55, iPAQ hx4700

the perfect PDA has not yet been invented - TR
tonyreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 02:36 PM   #11
Kosmonoko

Quote:
Originally Posted by cktlcmd
How were you able to get CO for PC to work well with your TH55? I tried reformatting my computer and installing CO for PC and just the TH55's palm program and still I get errors when I hotsync. I even installed all the updates from the SONY site but nothing works without the errors. Now I reformatted my computer again and afraid to end up with those errors again, so I had not tried installing it yet.
Hmm. YOu first need to install the regular palm desktop then install CO for pc. I do get the error some times but i don't really care cause it works properly. even though hotsync says there is a problem.
Oh yeah if you install the extra ICONs in your palm you won't be able to add icons from the CO for PC because it will cause an error. However the CO stickers works perfectly.

Actually i think i do get the error all the time but when i check the log everything looks fine. I hope

Last edited by Kosmonoko : 04-07-2005 at 06:19 PM.
Kosmonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 04:50 PM   #12
daver
The Nutty 'Nuckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyreynolds
...I have ended up deleting it from my desktop, I decided NOT to load it on my notebook.

I HAVE to be able to sync with Outlook for corporate email. Outlook and CO don't play well together. The built-in Palm planner, while plain-Jane, is easier and, as noted by others, faster.

The colors for seperate appointments DO NOT necessarily transfer between the Clie and the desktop.

Here's what I do:

1. ALL appoinments are entered in the Clie.

2. I sync daily with my desktop. Pocket Mirror keeps Outlook updated.

3. That in turn through Activsync keeps my PPC current as a backup PDA.

4. Every few days, I sync with my notebook to the Palm desktop for yet another backup.

One problem I have is that I have a second, seperate corporate login through Citrix that opens a virtual desktop on another server. I have NOT been able to finda way to sync Outlook on the real and virtual desktops, so I just gave up and handwrite individual appointments as necessary from the virtual machine.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Oh well, at least I have my schedule in multiple places, whereas if I lost my Daytimer like the old days, I'd be outta luck.

Tony
Actually, what you're doing is EXACTLY what I would be doing (except the PPC part) if I had Pocket Mirror, or a properly working version of Intellisync. However, the new version of Pocket Mirror called KeySuite is too expensive for me since I am given a free alternative. Had I the money, i'd dish out for Pocket Mirror. Thankfully my e-mail is synced through Inbox to Go.

As for working with virtual machines, I've run into the same problem. I have a lot of data on one of the virtual machines from my work, but I'm unable to sync them, even though I've Palm Desktop for Clie installed there. the virtual machine has 3 Clie profiles/users set up there too! one TJ37, my TH55, and a TJ35. just a big pain in the butt having to until the next time i'm at work to sync the data.

I AM CANADIAN!