Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Palm > Tungsten
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2004, 02:47 AM   #31
Spiral
bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance
I have not played with this very much, but I will try beaming the application to the T3.

Besides the applications, you might need some of these files (I'm not sure exactly which ones, are necessary). That's if the T5 stuff is the same/similar as the Z72. I know the localization filse are necessary if the associated .prc is necesary, the _enUS ones.

adpcmcodec.prc
aglkglib.prc
Imageutils-piul.prc
imgfile.prc
imumath-pium.prc
mimgplugin.prc
mp3codec.prc
mpeg1cpm.prc
mpeg1lib.prc
mpeg4decoder.prc
mpeg4encoder.prc
mvlib.prc
palmphotolib.prc
palmphotolib_enUS.prc
photoconvert.prc
photomanager.prc
photos-Foto.prc
Photos-Foto_enUS.prc
photosDefaultDB-Foto.pdb
photosdefaultdbname-foto_enUS.prc
Old 10-15-2004, 06:15 AM   #32
patrickl

Quite a shame it's so hard to properly see the PDA's with the huge logo imprinted on the photo's.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:04 AM   #33
Sleuth255

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-roC
GI had a thought when looking at the TE and T5 together, I thought about the BMW 3 and 5 series. The 5 is just a bit larger, has a few more features, and is more expensive, but does have similar looks.....

Good Analogy! The new 5 series is more expensive and now has an interior made from cheap plastic: not worth the price compared to the E39 5 series.
Sleuth255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 08:38 AM   #34
jjesusfreak01
Custom User

The T5 can play MPEG1 movies? I am impressed! I thought it would take at least a couple more years before Palm's handhelds would catch up with the last generation of Clie handhelds. By the way, the TH-55 can play MPEG1 movies, MPEG4 movies in the form of Quicktime, and MPEG4, directly, with VZ-90 codecs installed.

Sony TG-50, Sony TH-55, Palm TX...TH-55 still the best
jjesusfreak01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 11:24 AM   #35
tonnerd

Pressing the center button on the TE and T3 will turn on your device and displays the date/time momentarily. You can then turn turn the device on further by holding it for a couple of seconds.

I've noticed that you cannot do that with the T5. Pressing or holding the center button while the device is off does not cause anything to occur. I did notice though that holding the center button down while the device is on and not selecting an application will display the notifications (alarms).

Can anyone else confirm the center button operates in this manner. Maybe mine is defective and an option exists to allow power on with the center button. I was a very nice option to using the power button on the TE and T3.

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:40 AM   #36
Superhob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonnerd
Pressing the center button on the TE and T3 will turn on your device and displays the date/time momentarily. You can then turn turn the device on further by holding it for a couple of seconds.

I've always been able to turn on my TE with 2 taps of the center button. The first tap brings up the clock and the second turns on the unit.

I grow more and more baffled by palmone's design/function philosophy with the T5.

I'm also very concerned about this "lag" when switiching applications. I still have an old visor with a dragonball processor and it takes virtually no time to switch between apps. Technology is amazing isn't it.....
Superhob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 11:53 AM   #37
nickms

What about Drive Mode?

From the instructions on PalmOne's website it appears that Drive Mode is an app. Is this true? Could it be loaded on other Palm OS handhelds?
nickms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 11:58 AM   #38
PixelPusher
Wage slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickms
From the instructions on PalmOne's website it appears that Drive Mode is an app. Is this true? Could it be loaded on other Palm OS handhelds?

I don't know about Palm's app, but CardExport II from http://www.softtick.com does the trick very nicely.

-Eric
PixelPusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 12:05 PM   #39
PixelPusher
Wage slave

I was satisfied with the specs of the T5 and was going to buy one, but all these bugs and changes from normal behavior for PalmOS pdas really make me think twice about it. I love the specs of the Dell X50v and would buy one in a second if only it ran PalmOS rather than WinCE. I just wanted a HiRes+ PDA without a slider and with fast CPU and reasonable battery life. Is that too much to ask? I guess I'll have to wait for a update to the OS on the T5 before I jump.

-Eric
PixelPusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 12:27 PM   #40
Lance
Avid Palm User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonnerd

I've noticed that you cannot do that with the T5. Pressing or holding the center button while the device is off does not cause anything to occur. I did notice though that holding the center button down while the device is on and not selecting an application will display the notifications (alarms).

Can anyone else confirm the center button operates in this manner. Maybe mine is defective and an option exists to allow power on with the center button. I was a very nice option to using the power button on the TE and T3.

Thanks.
Same here. I found out that the click and double-click of the select button on the T5 does not do anything while the power is off.

Thanks,
Lance
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 12:45 PM   #41
jshoo

Quote:
I just wanted a HiRes+ PDA without a slider and with fast CPU and reasonable battery life. Is that too much to ask?

It's more than Palm can deliver now.

I figure my beloved T3 will break sometime within the next 12 months. At that time I'll buy a VGA PDA, even if that means buying a PPC, Linux, or Windows PDA instead of a Palm. It is PalmOne's choice whether I buy from them or not.
jshoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 01:30 PM   #42
Lance
Avid Palm User

File Transfer and Drive Mode

I have been using the File Transfer function and the Drive Mode function of the T5. Both are relatively slow at roughly 15-20 MB per minute when writing data to the T5 and about 30-40 MB per minute when reading data from the T5.

On the File Transfer application for Windows, you can transfer the files to the device while using other applications on the handheld. The Drive Mode function does not give you that ability.

Both functions allow you to see the internal flash memory as well as the memory on the external SD card. Of course, both offer drag-and-drop capabilities when transferring data to and from the T5.

Thanks,
Lance
Old 10-15-2004, 02:49 PM   #43
Lance
Avid Palm User

Media

I have to give PalmOne some credit, here. They have made it very easy to drag and drop video/images to your device. To add a video/image to your Palm, you just drag and drop the video to the Palm Desktop software (Windows). It converts the video to the ASF file format. Then when you HotSync, the video/image is available through the Media application on the T5 (works for internal flash memory and external SD card memory). It is that simple. Note: It uses Media Player 9 and QuickTime 6.5.1. It took a 20 MB WMV file down to a 5 MB ASF file for the T5 to play back, and it took a 23 MB MOV file down to a 9 MB ASF file. I need to find some more videos to convert before I mention anything on quality because the original files I converted where not real good to begin with.

The Media player application also plays MPEG-1 files directly from the card. It played it without any problems. The only downside was the video did not automatically (or manually) rotate the video to fit the screen. The video just plays back in portrait mode.

Best regards,
Lance

Last edited by Lance : 10-15-2004 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:38 PM   #44
slinger

Lance,

Have you noticed any GUI glitches in the T5? The one I keep experiencing is due to the button edge highlighting the PalmOne added. It causes problems in several areas, but the most easily repeatable scenario is if you select a launcher category via the drop-down menu in the upper right-hand corner of the standard launcher. After you select a category the drop-down menu goes away but it leaves the remnants of a blue shaded rectangle behind. Have you noticed this?

Thanks,
-Robert Hildinger
slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 03:46 PM   #45
Lance
Avid Palm User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger
Lance,

Have you noticed any GUI glitches in the T5? The one I keep experiencing is due to the button edge highlighting the PalmOne added. It causes problems in several areas, but the most easily repeatable scenario is if you select a launcher category via the drop-down menu in the upper right-hand corner of the standard launcher. After you select a category the drop-down menu goes away but it leaves the remnants of a blue shaded rectangle behind. Have you noticed this?

Thanks,
-Robert Hildinger
Yes, the GUI does seem more sluggish than it should be. In addition, I experience the same redraw issues you mentioned in your note. I wonder if any of this has to do with the type of memory used in the device. I really do not know. I guess it could have something to do with the amount of dynamic memory, also.

Anyway, the whole experience does not seem as polished as it should be.

Take care,
Lance