Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
  NEWS
  Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
  FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
  Games
  Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
  Audio/Video
  Cellphones
  Digital Cameras
  Gaming
  Gadgets & Gizmos
  Non-Palm OS PDAs
  PCs/Laptops
  Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
  FREEWARE
  Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
  ABOUT US
  Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
  LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices: 

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Palm > Tungsten
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2004, 02:16 PM   #16
Vidge
Come visit us!
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyker
Out of curiosity, can anyone remember how much the T|3 was when it first came out?

$399. I have my receipt right here. Bought it 9/26 from Office Max

Visit Daily Gadget

Moderator & reviewer, Daily Gadget, Contributor, Liberal Medium, Writing On Your Palm

An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. ~ Martin Luther King Jr.
Vidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 02:27 PM   #17
palmhiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gero
Good analogy, but when do you see it?.. If we stick to cars, you might see that sort of a comparison between say a mercedes and a ford... the ford having every know gadet to cars etc... I'd go for the merc every day of the week and twice on sundays.

Plus, whilst evry car model in the states may have cruise control, in europe, only the top of the range cars of each model have cruise control... Either than or its an expensive option, because not many people use it.

I think I know where you are headed with this, but many would say that an HP handheld (for example) would be the Mercedes in your analogy.

To be fair, I would consider qualitative issues equal between, say HP and palmOne. In that comparison, looking purely at "options" you get for the cost, the HP wins hands down. Factor in Dell, and it isn't even a horse race. Never mind the fact that many consumers (myself included) wouldn't even buy a car that lacked cruise control (Wi-Fi in our “stretched” analogy).

You do make very legitimate points, though.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:56 PM   #18
Alitheia

Quote:
I know I never use the Voice Record function, and the vibrating alarms don't add much in my opinion.

For me, I actually canceled my T5 order over the vibrating alarms. In a business market, both can be VERY handy. The Voice memo, I use a lot, I could make myself live without it, but it's very handy. The vibrating alarms, well, it simply makes the T5 NOT an option in my job. We have to many meetings and conference calls where a beeping alarm is NOT tolerated.

If you use it heavily in a business environment, vibrating alarms is a must have feature.
Alitheia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 06:54 AM   #19
seascape
What's New?

I thought I'd miss the vibrating alarm, but come to think of it, it never worked for me with the T2, because the handheld was in a hard case all the time and I couldn't feel the alarm anyway. Half the time the only way I know my cellphone is going off is when the ring mode kicks in after the vibration phase ends, because I miss feeling the vibration. So I doubt that I'll miss the vibrating alarm after all.

I could care less about WiFi.

I never did use voice memo, after the novelty wore off.

I need cradles. I pre-ordered a T5 from a company that did not list a T5 cradle among its acessories. If I thought they had passed on the dollar saving to me ...

I love the new internal virtual-card memory. 160 mb is large enough to hold all my core programs and data. I'll easily be able to add a WiFi card if I wanted to.

Audio playback is another novelty feature that I don't often use, and certainly don't have to have. But somehow I'm happy to have it there, if the overhead isn't too high.

I think the T5 is the device I've been waiting for, frankly. Let's hope the external keyboard is as good.
seascape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 07:11 AM   #20
Gero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clie Patra
The TH55 is made of a better quality plastic. And the universal connector still has a lot going for it, not only the fact that a lot of people have expensive addons that use it. Times change, that's true, but usually ahead, not reverse.

Why do you say that the new connecter is a 'reverse in technology' in comparison to the UC?

I agree that a new connector is a pain in that when i do buy an OS 6 device sometime next year, the accessories i do have for the UC will be incompatible.. but i will accept that... in the same way that i will accept that the new connector will only last so many years and probably when buying a future device, i will probably have to buy another set of accessories again. I dont think its fair to criticise P1 for this.
Gero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 07:56 AM   #21
seascape
What's New?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gero
I agree that a new connector is a pain ...snipped... I dont think its fair to criticise P1 for this.
I do. I've been through too many "new connector" cycles, and still can't figure out why they put us through it. The interface should have been stabilized long ago, IMHO.
seascape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 08:12 AM   #22
matrix42
Gizmo says "Woof"

Send a message via Yahoo to matrix42
[QUOTE=seascape]
I love the new internal virtual-card memory. 160 mb is large enough to hold all my core programs and data. I'll easily be able to add a WiFi card if I wanted to.
QUOTE]

I think you may want to be careful about the 160MB "USB Storage" from my understanding it's just storage, i.e. you cannot store an application in that area and have it run, the available memory for applcations/data is 55MB as it was on the T3. I'm not 100% on that but the brochure at P1 does make the distiction.

As for the UC being incompatible with OS6, thats a new one on me??
matrix42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 08:45 AM   #23
Ddeath

Send a message via Yahoo to Ddeath
Sigh... If PalmOne would just call it T|E2 and drop price at least US$50, then all would be forgiven for this moniker of a Tungsten|T series PDA.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:56 AM   #24
poissonsouriant
Objection!

Send a message via AIM to poissonsouriant Send a message via Yahoo to poissonsouriant
I'm not too miffed about the T5. I won't run out and upgrade, I'll probably wait for something better.

But if my T3 were to break and I couldn't get it fixed, I would probably get a T5. I have already said I don't mind not having the Voice Record or Vibrating Alarm features.

I'd love for it to have WiFi, but I already ordered a PalmOne WiFi card. Got it for $90.66 at Buy.com.

There's too much negativity. I was always told that if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

My games:
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, Mario Kart DS, Kirby: Canvas Curse, Sonic Rush, Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble, Super Princess Peach, Tetris DS, Metroid Prime: Hunters, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, and New Super Mario Bros.

Games I need to buy:
Starfox Command, Diddy Kong Racing DS, Yoshi's Island 2, DS Air, and more!

My Tetris DS Friend Code:399365-994993
My Mario Kart DS Friend Code:090255-118125
poissonsouriant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 11:14 AM   #25
Sharkk717
What does Ludus mean?

To comment on OS 6:

As Cyker said, it will remove a lot of compatibility. For all of you who know a bit about POS notifications, the hede event will apparently not be broadcast in Cobalt, which means pretty much all your utilites will not work. However, it also makes Cobalt much more secure and i see the benefits of Cobalt far outweighing the negatives. The ARM-native stuff and the multi-threading is a major step forward for PalmSource, and the UI revision in OS 7 will also be very welcome.

What's next? Shark(insert word here).
Sharkk717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 12:07 PM   #26
wshwe

Send a message via ICQ to wshwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by poissonsouriant
There's too much negativity. I was always told that if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.
If all of the negative posts were removed from these forums they would be bare.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:28 PM   #27
PatrickS
Gadget Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshwe
If all of the negative posts were removed from these forums they would be bare.
I'm not sure about bare, but they'd certainly be dishonest.

SharkBoy: About Cobalt and the missing hede broadcast... Will there be something else in Cobalt that can take it's place? Will authors of programs like snapCalc5, Hi-Launcher, McPhling, etc., have a way to update their programs to make them work in Cobalt?
Old 10-09-2004, 03:50 PM   #28
Sid

Negatives IMO:
•Plastic housing. High quality plastic is still plastic.
•Speaker on the back. I keep my T3 in a case, and would do so with any PDA I own, so the rear speaker will be muffled.
•No Voice Recorder. This should be included in the Flagship of the line.
•No vibrating alarm. Should also be in a high end model.
•No built-in WiFi. Again, this is the newest Flagship Tungsten, it should be there.
•No cradle.
•No dual SD Card slot. If there's no built-in WiFi, at least have a dual slot so a WiFi card and storage card can both be used.

Things I'm neutral about:
•No UC. I really don't have any accessories that utilize it.
•No slider. While, I like the slider on my T3 and never had any problems with it, I would not necessarily miss it.
•No Cobalt.

Possitives:
•Bigger, better battery.
•Onboard accessible Flash memory.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 05:27 PM   #29
knghtbrd
Registered Unregisterable

Send a message via AIM to knghtbrd
Add me to the list of people who isn't sorry to see voice recorder go. I'll miss its button though. Quick launcher category change was very handy.
knghtbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 05:40 PM   #30
darmok
Minion

I love the voice recorder on my TH55 - that and the camera make it really easy to record important information from meetings.