Because such questions are asked MANY MANY times, although there are already some guides here or on websites, they are not complete (i.e. only hotsync setting or part of connection), so I think better to write a FULL guide for settup wifi connections. And this guide only talking about connection & hotsync setup, others like internet sharing, file sharing are off-topic here. Because those parts are quite different in different cases.
And sorry for no screenshot here as I'm lazy .
If I write a hp, then screenshot will be attached...
First, before talking about configurations, some terms should be stated:
1. Ad-hoc mode
peer-to-peer connections, both PC and Palm's connection w/o using wireless access point (AP).
2. Infrastructure mode
using AP (no matter router type or not), like using hubs or switches for wired networking.
, in another word, DHCP server/ services
Router can be wireless or wire, in this guide is just talking its DHCP funtions.
DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) server allows you don't need to set network configurations (IP address, default gateway, DNS) manually.
Now, you need to know which type of wireless connection you need. The most easiest way to do is using AP w/ router, all things are done automatically. But maybe you need to use ad-hoc for some cases. There are seperated 2 parts for different settings of wifi conection. Ad-hoc
As ad-hoc hasn't any specific devices between PC and CLIE, you need to setup all things manually. Here is an example for settings (IP addresses may need to change for working in your case):
IP address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
SSID: pc-clie (you can change it but remember to match it w/ Palm settings)
WEP: (you can set it if you wish)
Ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer connection)
Palm (in "Preferences" -> "Network", choose Wireless LAN or select "New" if your CLIE/Palm can search AP automatically):
(in advanced section)
IP address: 192.168.0.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.0.1
WEP: (if you set it in PC side, set it here also)
In ad-hoc mode, Palm side will be connected no matter PC is already or not. After you press connect in Palm, you need to check or connect same ad-hoc network in PC side. Infrastruture
Using infrastruture mode you need to know you have router (AP w/ router function or seperate router) or not. If haven't, it is similar to ad-hoc settings, but select "Infrastruture" in both CLIE and PC and using your AP's SSID and WEP (if applied).
If you have router, then you can use it's DHCP function, that means all IP address and gateway info are automatic (Auto IP and DNS). You just need to setup a profile for AP's SSID and WEP only in both PC and CLIE. Then all things are done automatically.
Some cases need to select short or long preamble, but this settings maybe not shown in your CLIE or AP, depends on model/ driver version. You can leave this setting default unless you get problem in connection.
You should be able to connect using wifi now. Second part of this guide is talking how to setup wifi hotsync.
1. Open Hotsync Manager in PC, right-click icon in system tray and select "Network" to enable network hotsync.
2. Right-click Hotsync Manager icon again -> "Setup..." -> "Network" tap, and click check-box of your hotsync ID. Then go to TCP/IP settings. If your wifi connection is setup correctly and only 1 network interface, here should already show your PC's IP address and subnet mask (same setup above). If not, correct them.
3. Run local hotsync one time. HotSync Manager should put those network hotsync settings to your CLIE.
4. In CLIE, open "HotSync" -> "Options" menu -> "Modem Sync Prefs..." -> change to "Network".
5. "Options" menu again "LANSync Prefs..." -> "LANSync"
Actually in this option doesn't affect wifi hotsync (no matter "LANSync" or "Local HotSync", both of them are work). But as I know, if you want to "HotSync" in outside (not at home, such as through cafe's wifi service), LANSync should be selected.
6. "Options" -> "Primary PC Setup...". REMEMBER to change "Primary PC name" to "!!" (w/o quotes of course). Otehrwise you can't connect. This option is setting PC name in domain only. Not apply to normal network. And double check PC's IP address and subnet mask are ok or not.
7. Change selection from "Local" to "Modem" in HotSync main screen. And select "Wireless LAN" as service under HotSync icon. Ignore phone #.
8. You can press HotSync icon for wifi hotsync now. It should work. Troubleshootings:
Here are some simple troubleshooting solutions.
1. Keeping "retrying" during connection
Many people get problems when trying to connection using wifi. If you found that CLIE is just keeping "retrying" when trying to connect, that means your wifi network settings (IP address) has problems. This happens in case when you haven't router (DHCP server), CLIE can't get IP address automatically. You need to enter IP address and default gateway manually.
2. CLIE is connected but can't hotsync
There maybe 2 reasons:
- You maybe forget to enter default gateway address (PC IP address) when you setup connection manually.
- Your PC may have firewall installed (like XP's ICF). You can disable it (in wireless connection ONLY) or accept hotsync's TCP ports: 14237 & 14238.
3. HotSync through Internet (using outside hotspot)
Check "Primary PC Setup..." for correct global IP address of PC side (not 192.x.x.x) and subnet mask.
If you are using router at your home, you need to set ports 14237 & 14238 forward to your PC internal IP address.
Thanks for reading such "LONG" post. I hope this can help you.
If you get problems, pls start another thread. Pls reply only if you find something not understand, mistakes, or leave comments to my post, to keep this thread easy to read.
Maybe later I will write about Internet sharing, but not now...