Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Palm > Tungsten
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2004, 05:32 PM   #61
SoS
tired and confused...

Gekko....That Dalm Axim looks great. That innovative wedge-shaped profile will appeal to many fans of Picasso, Braque and others of the cubist movement, if noone else!!
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 05:51 PM   #62
Gekko

Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 05:53 PM   #63
SoS
tired and confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekko

now, this is as about as surreal as the T5 LOL.
Old 09-25-2004, 06:19 PM   #64
Cyker

IMHO, the TH55 is still the best PDA out there. It is as close to perfect for me as I think I'm likely to see. The T|5 seems to be more of a competitor for PPC's, than as a PDA, which is something PalmOS will loose against hands down.

PalmOS has always been the epitome of what a PDA should be about, whereas PPC has always been about flashy bells and whistles (To distract you from the fact that, frankly, as PDAs they are pretty pap.). For Palm to try and move in on PPC's literally-Pocket PC geared systems is a really stupid move. This is not where PalmOS' strength lays.

The sad fact is, IMHO, Palm have never really been very good at making PDAs since they got bought out by USR and then 3COM.

The only really decent ones they've made recently are the Zire 72 and the T|3, but the Zire is just a (fairly decent) copy cat of the Clie, and the T|3 is only impressive because of it's numbers. It's better for posing than my TH55 for that reason, but I don't rate it all that high in terms of non-posing usability. They don't really bring anything cool to the table as it were.

I don't see why it's so hard for them - Sony have already provided the perfect role-model in the TH55.
On the obvious side, it's great battery life and great connectivity (IR, BT & WiFi!), it's great apps (The Organiser, DataImport, ZIP-compatible Clie Files etc.).
Less obvious are the many fine OS interface tweaks to make it more usable than any Palm offering.

I don't understand why Palm don't learn from Sony, but instead plod along with their decidedly clunky stagnating designs!
Cyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 06:32 PM   #65
Antoine
Blessed by the Best :)

Send a message via AIM to Antoine Send a message via Yahoo to Antoine
Here is what I had just posted over at PIC, I thought that it would be good food for thought here as well. I was responding to the newer images posted over at PDA24/7:

I got a feeling that our TE-inspired design is the real deal...

I got another feeling that the 5th will be our day of release...

I got a feeling that the T5 will be upgradeable to Cobalt as it will probably not have it...

I got another feeling that many of us will like the mountable feature that the slides have been talking about (think USB key drive in the form of a palmos pda)...

Granted, if I use the words "I got a feeling" then it will make some people just pass off my opinions.

As for the T5, if the battery life can prove to be at least as good as my Z71 was, then I will look to get it.

Final opinion for the moment: a lot of users here harp on the benefits of having both Wifi and BT in a device. I have been talking to my editors at BargainPDA and we have been asking the same thing. One of the things that we are beginning to realize is that wifi and bt do not solve problems for many users. Yes, people want to be connected anywhere, and yes, they want to do it without wires. The problem is that until wifi can be the solution to a problem, a casual computer user will not use it until they have a reason to. Will having wifi on the PDA be a solution to many business users (PalmOne's target audience with the Tungsten line)? No. Management and IT depts still see WiFi as a security risk and therefore do not allow devices with wifi abilities to be in the building. When BT becomes as prolific, then the same thing will happen there unless teh security concerns are solved. Yes, it is a conveience, but without the constant attention to security, wireless tech will not be as accepted. This is my reason behind thinking why P1 will not have the T5 with wiFi. Will there be a new TC that does WiFi? Most probably, but it will probably be Cobalt enabled and deployed to the same groups.companies that are using TCs so that any security concerns would be minimized. That will disappoint the nonsense out of people that visit fan sites. But you know what, the market is not built on those that frequent fan sites. We are the early adopters who test the technology and if we approve it and use/buy enough of it, then the proce trickles down to the mainstream users. It is just the way that economics go in terms of technology. I would like to say that we should stop the bashing of no wifi or no this and no that on devices that we want, but the truth of the matter is that we are market testers, not market pushers. That is just the way it is (and yes, there happens to be a few companies that I deal with that follow this mindset).

I know that reposting from other forums sounds a bit wrong, but it is so weird how the same conversations are happening at 3-5 different websites. Aint communication neat
Antoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 02:59 AM   #66
pmconmy
Yorkie

Sorry d-roc but I can't agree. Palm1 has to have a model with wi-fi in (whether its this one or another). Its everywhere - even here in the UK where we always seem to lag behind the US.
Security clearly isn't much of an issue or there wouldn't be so much war-chalking of open networks! I know stacks of people with home networks, every starbucks has a wi-fi hotspot - not to mention cities setting up free access etc etc. Every conference/meeting I've been to recently has offered free wi-fi access to delegates.

Personally I'm betting that palm has more than this up its sleeve. I'm fairly certain these slides are the real deal (if they are not the pda247 have staked a big portion of their reputation on them) but that doesn't mean its the only model P1 are about to introduce.
pmconmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 09:48 AM   #67
Hawkeye
Member of the Week

Send a message via AIM to Hawkeye
Axim is the Worst Photshop Job EVER!

look at the angle of the device itself its sortof facing to the side right?

now look at the angle of the display, its facing straight ahead.

and the screen even rides up on the rest on the top right
Horrible Photoshop job

Glad they went back to Palm!

Ghetto Electronics
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 09:56 AM   #68
Gekko

They can't fool you, Hawkeye! Now I know how you got your name! Good catch, we would have *NEVER* known!
Old 09-26-2004, 09:57 AM   #69
SoS
tired and confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
Axim is the Worst Photshop Job EVER!

look at the angle of the device itself its sortof facing to the side right?

now look at the angle of the display, its facing straight ahead.

and the screen even rides up on the rest on the top right
Horrible Photoshop job

errr...you arent serious.....it was a joke....Ha ha..you know
Old 09-26-2004, 10:10 AM   #70
Gekko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoS
errr...you arent serious.....it was a joke....Ha ha..you know

http://www.wiseacre-gardens.com/but...s/foghorn04.wav
Old 09-26-2004, 10:29 AM   #71
SoS
tired and confused...

Gekko...LOL big time...
Old 09-26-2004, 08:36 PM   #72
LexLuther
Just thinking

A devious plan......

As I read the alternating joy and disappointment with the supposed T5 design it suddenly dawned on me how brilliant it all is. For those who feel joy, you will be able to go out and spend your hard earned post tax shekels on a wi-fi-less, slider-less T5. Those who have been waiting for the next top-shelf Tungsten model and are disappointed can buy a T3. Why cannabalise T3 sales with a T5? Just make it different enough to not be a substitute and Palm becomes a winner. Not to mention rocketing sales for the wi-fi SD card by the pent-up frustrated T3 owners. Great plan P1

Last edited by LexLuther : 09-26-2004 at 08:38 PM. Reason: forgot the title and who is Pam anyway?
LexLuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 08:45 PM   #73
Jukov
Palmaniac

Or they would just go and buy themselves a new Ipaq/ toshiba/ Dell with the functions they need and not the wretched substitute for a function ( like wifi sd card)
Jukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 09:03 PM   #74
hussain
Unregonized Command

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekko
Michael Dell has heard of our plight and has agreed at the last minute to introduce a PalmOS6 Cobalt Axim with VGA and WIFI. MSRP is said to be $199.

This *MAY* be just another hoax though, I'm not sure.

Whoever made this image must learn to use the free transform tool properly in photoshop.
hussain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 09:24 PM   #75
hamsammich
Gadget Freak!

Wow. That is the most God-awful Photoshop job I've seen as of late. So many actually decent mock-ups, and then this one surfaces!
How funny, though!

I was about to say how right LexLuther was about PalmOne's move, but then saw Jukov's post. I wholeheartedly agree with Jukov...a lot of Palm users will, indeed, switch ships in mid-stream if Palm doesn't come up with a great (WiFi enabled, I may add) update in the series.

I know I sure as he** won't fork over the simoleans for a WiFi card just so it can take up my SD slot and overall become a pain in the butt to tote around...especially when most PPC's now come with it integrated.
hamsammich is offline   Reply With Quote