Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
  NEWS
  Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
  FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
  Games
  Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
  Audio/Video
  Cellphones
  Digital Cameras
  Gaming
  Gadgets & Gizmos
  Non-Palm OS PDAs
  PCs/Laptops
  Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
  FREEWARE
  Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
  ABOUT US
  Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
  LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices: 

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Sony > Clie TH-series
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2004, 03:39 PM   #1
wahoo24jc

Send a message via AIM to wahoo24jc
Unhappy Bad luck with pixels. :(

Just got my new TH55 from NewEgg yesterday. I charged it for 6 hours and then finally turned it on and notice a bright blue stuck pixel in the dark gray grafiti area. I tried to do an RMA with NewEgg, but their site says "This item is warranted through the product manufacturer only." So I called Sony today and they are sending me a box to send if back for repair. I hope it doesn't take very long for Sony to repair it and get it back to me. I have been wanting to get this unit for a long time and now that I have it...off it goes. I should have expected something like this since I have not had good luck with pixels. 2 years ago, I got an Alienware laptop - dead pixel. After getting it replaced almost a year later, I sold it to buy my HP 17" laptop - dead pixel. I immediately returned it and got another one. Now I buy the TH55 and it has a dead pixel. Anyone else have bad luck like this?
wahoo24jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 04:14 PM   #2
teerexx52

Yep! Got mine today from J&R with one dead pixel. I was unaware that Sony would take it back and repair it for one pixel. I will have to check into it. I too wonder what the turn around time is. Also, my Sony GRT laptop which is 2 months old had a dead pixel and they would not do anything about it,.
teerexx52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 03:49 PM   #3
Ion Control
Super Saiyan Sony Owner

This may be bad, but... Go to Office Depot, Circuit City, etc and buy a TH-55. Take the bad one back the next day. I usually say something like "No I don't want to exchange. I only give purchases like this one chance. I'll try Palm" or something lame like that. It works. and I figure it all goes back to Sony anyway. In fact, I'm on my way to do that now. Got a stuck pixel on mine

PS on a laptop or LCD panel, sometimes steady tapping w/ light to medium force behind the pixel will unstick it. So far, I'm 4 for 4 with this method (though the Clie may break my record ).

Last edited by Ion Control : 08-28-2004 at 03:52 PM.
Ion Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 04:01 PM   #4
COmedic04
T|X Lover

Hahaha, that's quite the devious method of getting around sending the TH-55 back to Sony!! (See what you've driven us to, Sony?!? ) The only problem is places that require a restocking fee, or don't accept opened products, etc, etc, etc. But other than that...I like your method of "beating the system"
Old 08-28-2004, 04:04 PM   #5
Ion Control
Super Saiyan Sony Owner

lol. I AM quite careful to check the return policy first Circuit City seems to work pretty well. Best Buy used to, but they've done away with PDAs for the most part Wish Wal-Mart carried 'em. Talk about an exchange policy. As long as you can recognize what it is/was they'll exchange. How they stay in business, I have no idea...
Old 08-28-2004, 04:10 PM   #6
COmedic04
T|X Lover

Hahahahah, LMFAO......I was at WalMart a couple weeks ago and saw a woman exchanging a gallon of milk that was almost completely gone...she said it had gone bad and she wanted another one. The expiration date was a week before!! Damn...I've got to start leaving a couple drops in my milk carton and taking back...I'll never have to buy milk again!!
I can see it now..."Yes sir, this PDA just jumped out of my hands, brand-new of course, spontaneously aged 3 years and jumped into the dumpster behind my house!! Can I return it for a new one?" hehe
Old 08-28-2004, 07:45 PM   #7
MrNako
TH55 - THe Be55t

Mine has a dead pixel but I dont want to change it or send it back to sony, it doesnt bug me and if for some reason I want to upgrade to another pda, (a tungsten t5 maybe) I can then ask for an exchange. Also my TH55's screen started looking strange at the bottom of the screen, as when you put a magnet near a monitor or a tv, I hate it because the colors are different. It is not too visible, only when the screen in white or showing something white in the bottom.
MrNako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 08:04 PM   #8
COmedic04
T|X Lover

That's a bummer, Nako...hey, a little off topic, but speaking of PDAs and magnets...I was shopping around for cases for my TH-55 a couple days ago (still haven't settled upon one) and was pondering which was better: a snap closure or a magnetic one. Then I remembered how bad magnetic exposure was to the old 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 inch disks...is magnetism bad for PDAs or, for that matter, memory sticks? As I'm typing this, I realize that the solid-state memory in memory sticks is a far cry from the MAGNETIC storage used in those old disks...so I probably just answered my question...but any other thoughts on this would be interesting!!

Ryan
Old 08-28-2004, 09:57 PM   #9
smstnitc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNako
Also my TH55's screen started looking strange at the bottom of the screen, as when you put a magnet near a monitor or a tv, I hate it because the colors are different. It is not too visible, only when the screen in white or showing something white in the bottom.

I started noticing this the other day too. I'm afraid it's from stress caused by it being in my pocket all the time (I don't currently have a case). I'm expecting one in the mail next week. Lets hope it works out ok, it seemed form fitting, so I'm hoping it won't add to much bulk to my pocket.

http://corporate.marketworks.com/st...036&id=53484455
smstnitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 10:22 PM   #10
Ion Control
Super Saiyan Sony Owner

Ooooh. Nice case at a nice price! Would a review when it comes in be something we might expect sm?
Old 08-28-2004, 10:36 PM   #11
smstnitc

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion Control
Ooooh. Nice case at a nice price! Would a review when it comes in be something we might expect sm?

I think my arm could be twisted to do some kind of review. Hopefully it'll be a good one
smstnitc is offline   Reply With Quote