Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Sony > Clie TH-series
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2004, 12:32 PM   #1
Pdaman
Retired pda user

Exclamation Two questions...

1.How long will www.cliebattery.com sell those new batterys for clie th55 if Sony is not in pda business anymore ?

2.Where i can get cheapest and best screen protectors for clie th55 ?
Sony Clie Th55 = Simple as that, the the best pda what I have ever owned! However even it didn't keep me in the Pda world. About my gadgets, I'm now just using my psp, camera and cellphone. Maybe I will someday get a new pda, but it must to have phone cababilities so I don't need to use my regular cellphone anymore. And yeah, this means I won't be hanging in here 1src that much anymore. If someone want me to remove unfinished threads from 1src or something just pm me. Keep your gadgets running!

Last edited by Pdaman : 08-03-2004 at 10:04 AM.
Pdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 01:33 PM   #2
Deckyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdaman
1.How long will www.cliebattery.com sell those new batterys for clie th55 if Sony is not in pda business anymore ?

Do not know. I would imagine that they will keep selling them because Sony only left the US market. Europe and Asia markets are still going strong. Even so, there are so many of these PDAs out there, that the batteries will be in demand, even when the US TH55s are not in stores any longer.

Quote:
2.Where i can get cheapest and best screen protectors for clie th55 ?

This is mutually exclusive. You cannot achieve the Best for the Cheapest price. The cheapest would be to cut a piece of transparency to fit the screen, but it is not the best. The best will most likely cost $20 to $30 US.

Quote:
3.What is best palm os software download place if you are using netfront and clie th55 ?

One of the Best download sites is http://www.palmgear.com, but it is not built for the PDA web browser. There is also http://www.freewarepalm.com, but again, not really geared towards the Netfront user.
http://www.sturm.org

[ Sony PEG-TH55 | Sony PEG-SJ20 ]
Deckyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:14 PM   #3
strider_mt2k
Samsung Omnia i910
Silver Contributor

Occasisionally you will find a Palm file uploaded directly, which you can DL onto your TH55. I've done it once before and it was disturbingly cool.

The problem is you have to dig through freewarepalm's archives and they might not be things you necessarily want.
strider_mt2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 08:09 AM   #4
Pdaman
Retired pda user

I don't have so much money right now to buy new battery to clie th55, but i have plans to ask few new battery for next winter, and i thing that all know why, if here is still how don't know why, anwser is because sony is gone...

I have two 320x320 screen protectors on my clie th55 screen (320x480), so it is NOT beatiful right now, so i'm looking best and low cost screen protectors for my sony...

I did send email to palmgear, and i did ask would they do mobile version of palmgear.com and they did say that there are no plans to make mobile version any near months or something like that....

I agree that palmgear.com is best palm os software place, but even th55 wlan is very fast and i have high speed internet palmgear.com internet site is still quete slow in netfront...
Sony Clie Th55 = Simple as that, the the best pda what I have ever owned! However even it didn't keep me in the Pda world. About my gadgets, I'm now just using my psp, camera and cellphone. Maybe I will someday get a new pda, but it must to have phone cababilities so I don't need to use my regular cellphone anymore. And yeah, this means I won't be hanging in here 1src that much anymore. If someone want me to remove unfinished threads from 1src or something just pm me. Keep your gadgets running!
Old 07-29-2004, 08:14 AM   #5
jumpyg

Wow, only $37.00 for a new battery! I was thinking it would be a lot more than that. They even include the Y-head screwdriver. Not bad. Looking at the installation instructions makes it look pretty easy, too.

Anybody had to replace their old Clie's battery yet? I have an S320 I gave my wife. It's about two years old. Any idea how much longer it might last? She uses it only for the basic datebook/calendar stuff, so not too much.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:46 AM   #6
JulianL

What would be really cool would be if they could take advantage of more advanced battery technology and sell replacement batteries that had >1000mAh capacity. My first MP3 player came with a 1350mAh battery but now the after-market batteries sold for it offer 1700mAh. One would hope that some sort of capacity increase would be possible with a TH-55 battery at some point in the not too distant future, but unfortunately I fear that the battery format might be too non-standard and not high enough volume to justify anyone doing it.

Out of interest, does Lithium Polymer technology offer more capacity for a given battery volume as compared to Lithium Ion?

- Julian
JulianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 11:09 AM   #7
Pdaman
Retired pda user

Anwsers anwsers ?
Old 07-29-2004, 11:24 AM   #8
JulianL

For screen protectors I'm just using the PalmOne universal screen protectors, they come in a pack of about 12 for 15 (and I could have probably got them cheaper, I just bought them in the first shop I saw them in).

You have to be prepared to cut them to size yourself. They're designed to be cut to size for the different PalmOne devices. The templates on the back are all set up for PalmOne's different models so you also have to be prepared to measure your screen yourself and then cut it with a very sharp decorator's knife (i.e. one that uses a razor blade).

I know it sounds a pain, but they are dirt cheap and, once cut and applied, mine is totally invisible and feels like the real screen, i.e. it doesn't have that scratchy feel that some people love and some hate. I've had it on for about 3 weeks of very heavy use and it looks as good as new. I expect my pack of 12 to last me well beyong the life of the device. I am also very tough on screen protectors because I keep my TH55 in a tightly fitting wallet and when it is closed and in my pocket (most of the time) there are the edges of 3 credit cards that rest against the screen. With my old screen protectors for my Palm m515 the marks for the card were visible within days. With these ones there is no evidence of any marks whatsoever.

One thing to be careful of, they are quite sticky so if you're not careful pulling one off then I think it's possible that you could seperate the digitizer from the screen. I did mess up putting on the first one (my second attempt was perferct) and I pulled it off very slowly and tried to apply force parallel to the screen, i.e. fold the protector back on itself so that as I pulled it off I wasn't pulling upwards and away from the screen, but rather parallel with the screen and up towards the top of the device.

I'm really happy with them, and for just over 1 each they shouldn't break the bank.

- Julian
Old 07-30-2004, 03:00 AM   #9
zeitgheist

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianL
For screen protectors I'm just using the PalmOne universal screen protectors, they come in a pack of about 12 for 15 (and I could have probably got them cheaper, I just bought them in the first shop I saw them in).

You have to be prepared to cut them to size yourself. They're designed to be cut to size for the different PalmOne devices. The templates on the back are all set up for PalmOne's different models so you also have to be prepared to measure your screen yourself and then cut it with a very sharp decorator's knife (i.e. one that uses a razor blade).

I know it sounds a pain, but they are dirt cheap and, once cut and applied, mine is totally invisible and feels like the real screen, i.e. it doesn't have that scratchy feel that some people love and some hate. I've had it on for about 3 weeks of very heavy use and it looks as good as new. I expect my pack of 12 to last me well beyong the life of the device. I am also very tough on screen protectors because I keep my TH55 in a tightly fitting wallet and when it is closed and in my pocket (most of the time) there are the edges of 3 credit cards that rest against the screen. With my old screen protectors for my Palm m515 the marks for the card were visible within days. With these ones there is no evidence of any marks whatsoever.

One thing to be careful of, they are quite sticky so if you're not careful pulling one off then I think it's possible that you could seperate the digitizer from the screen. I did mess up putting on the first one (my second attempt was perferct) and I pulled it off very slowly and tried to apply force parallel to the screen, i.e. fold the protector back on itself so that as I pulled it off I wasn't pulling upwards and away from the screen, but rather parallel with the screen and up towards the top of the device.

I'm really happy with them, and for just over 1 each they shouldn't break the bank.

- Julian

hmm. that kinda sound expensive. In my area, I bought some generic screen protectors (yeah you have to cut it) for the equivalent of around $1.75 USD. It came in 3 pcs and I've been using only 1 for the last 3+ months or so. Works like a charm! :-D

cheers
zeitgheist
Old 07-30-2004, 04:46 AM   #10
JulianL

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitgheist
hmm. that kinda sound expensive. In my area, I bought some generic screen protectors (yeah you have to cut it) for the equivalent of around $1.75 USD.

Yeah, I just bought them at my local high street stationary store, and those places are always a rip off, but I wanted a screen protector ASAP, especially because I knew my credit cards would be in contact with the screen. The price isn't that bad though, there were actually 13 for 14.99 so, at 1=$1.72 (the dollar has weakened since) that's $1.98 each.

On the basis of how well my first first protector is lasting I really do think that I'll change the TH55 before I use up this pack and they might even outlast the replacement device as well. 6 months a protector will last me 6 years, that's 2 or even 3 devices.

- Julian.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:06 AM   #11
Pdaman
Retired pda user

I found here http://sonyelectronics.sonystyle.co....html#PEGA-SP70 ten dollar screen protectors, but i'm not sure are they good...

Last edited by Pdaman : 08-03-2004 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:06 AM   #12
Pdaman
Retired pda user

Someone, i need anwsers to my last post :

I found here http://sonyelectronics.sonystyle.co....html#PEGA-SP70 ten dollar screen protectors, but i'm not sure are they good...

So can someone say are they good, because i will buy them if those are good...
Old 08-03-2004, 11:02 AM   #13
jumpyg

Quote:
Someone, i need anwsers to my last post :

So can someone say are they good, because i will buy them if those are good...

I've only heard bad things about the Sony screen protectors. See this thread

I had a BoxWave for my TH55, but I hated that it trapped dust and debris underneath. I returned it and now don't use one.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:14 AM   #14
tnhh
Rhubarb Rhubarb Rhubarb

Don't get the Sony screen protectors! They're garbage!

I'm happy with my Martin Fields protector.
tnhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 12:20 PM   #15
Pdaman
Retired pda user

So i don't now buy those, so can someone tell where i can find good screen protectors and these are recuirements :

-clie th55 FULL screen screen protectors
-does not cost more than 20 dollars
-good and trusted store