Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Sony > Clie TH-series
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2004, 08:08 AM   #46
broadus
Senior Novice

Because I was in a hurry to order a case before I fly to Europe in a couple of weeks, I ordered the Sena yesterday. Although someone in this thread mentioned that it would not sit in the cradle with the case, I forgot this tidbit. After ordering, I remembered and wonder how much of an aggravation this will be and am thinking about trying to cancel the order.

I like to set my TH55 in the cradle on the desk, powered on, throughout the day. Is it a hassle to be slipping the unit out of and back into the case? Sorry for what may sound like a dumb question to you old timers, but this is my first pda and, obviously, will be my first case.

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited by broadus : 06-30-2004 at 08:15 AM.
broadus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 01:22 PM   #47
broadus
Senior Novice

Will it sit in cradle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcoffin
I receieved my Sena TH55 case today as well. First impressions are very good. The case is remarkably sleek, and fits the TH55 very well. I've never owned a Sena before, so it will be interesting to see how the case wears--the leather that holds the TH55 in place is pretty thin. This is good for the fit, but I wonder how well it will hold up?

So far, this case seems to offer the best/most useable access to the jog dial and rear buttons of any case I've tried (that includes the Covertec, Innopocket, and Xigma cases)...

Andrew,

Do you think the TH55 in the Sena case will sit in a cradle?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 06-30-2004, 02:53 PM   #48
spradlinb
StikCustomizers.com

I just got my case in the mail this afternoon too. I'll address a couple of the questions here right quick:

First, how it fits in a cradle: It will probably depend on the cradle you're using a bit, but my old T665C cradle is what I've been using so far. With the case on, the backing cardboard pushes the TH55 out just far enough that it won't sit in the cradle as comfortably as it should. The T665C cradle has curved-in sides though, that "hug" the bottom curves of the PDA, so it might not be so bad on cradles that don't have those curves.

Second, using the camera: With the case on, there's just enough of a gap that you can fold the flap back and tug it down slightly to easily use the camera. Here's a pic to show it a bit better: http://www.stikcustomizers.com/camera_case.jpg
Once the leather is broken in a bit more from folding the cover back I'm sure that you won't even have to hold it down to keep it out of the camera's lens.

Overall I'm happy with the case so far. I had a Sena covering my previous T665C and was happy with that one, and I've noticed a few small improvements in the TH55 version already.

Cheers.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:57 PM   #49
DaveP

To those that have recieved theirs already -- when did you place the order? I ordered one yesterday morning, I wanted to get a feeling of when I should recieve mine.

I have not yet recieved any email saying it has been shipped, btw, just the order confirmation.

Dave
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:13 PM   #50
broadus
Senior Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spradlinb
I just got my case in the mail this afternoon too. I'll address a couple of the questions here right quick:

First, how it fits in a cradle: It will probably depend on the cradle you're using a bit, but my old T665C cradle is what I've been using so far. With the case on, the backing cardboard pushes the TH55 out just far enough that it won't sit in the cradle as comfortably as it should. The T665C cradle has curved-in sides though, that "hug" the bottom curves of the PDA, so it might not be so bad on cradles that don't have those curves.

I'm using the newer PEGA UC-55 which appears to have an eighth to a quarter inch space between the back of the caseless TH55 and the cradle. The bottom is not curved, if I understand what you're writing about the T665C cradle. I'm crossing my fingers.

Thanks for your feedback.

Bill
Old 06-30-2004, 03:16 PM   #51
Rick_C

Unhappy I received my Sena case today!

In reply to the post from Dave_P: I ordered it 6/4. It shipped on the 26th (Monday). I received it today (6/30).
On the cradle question: I am using my old T615C cradle, and the TH55 does not fit on the cradle with the case on. Bummer! It is a hassle taking the PDA in and out of the case!
The memory stick port is covered...maybe not a big deal, although I have found myself using different memory sticks more often than I originally thought.
The plastic cover does not sit flush with the TH55 with the case on. I have to consider removing the plastic cover from the PDA...I have grown to like the cover a lot.
I am considering sending the case back....disappointing

Last edited by Rick_C : 06-30-2004 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Additions to the message. Adding member name
Rick_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:34 PM   #52
IsLNdbOi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_C
In reply to the post from Dave_P: I ordered it 6/4. It shipped on the 26th (Monday). I received it today (6/30).
On the cradle question: I am using my old T615C cradle, and the TH55 does not fit on the cradle with the case on. Bummer! It is a hassle taking the PDA in and out of the case!
The memory stick port is covered...maybe not a big deal, although I have found myself using different memory sticks more often than I originally thought.
The plastic cover does not sit flush with the TH55 with the case on. I have to consider removing the plastic cover from the PDA...I have grown to like the cover a lot.
I am considering sending the case back....disappointing

It costs alot more and doesn't come out 'til ~ 19 July, but maybe you should try the new Bellagio case. It doesn't block the memory stick slot and allows you to sync with the cradle.

Last edited by IsLNdbOi : 06-30-2004 at 04:07 PM.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 04:04 PM   #53
Mark29

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadus
Andrew,

Do you think the TH55 in the Sena case will sit in a cradle?

Thanks,
Bill

It will not fit with the cradle Sony is selling for the TH55. The clear plastic support is wider than the leather straps at the bottom of the case. Even if you could Dremel the backing so the width fits, the case is such a tight fit that it would likely stretch the case out of shape - the back of the case is flush with the back of the TH55, and there's really no give to the fit. I just got mine and took some pics, hope to post them soon.

Mark
Mark29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 04:12 PM   #54
broadus
Senior Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
It costs alot more and doesn't come out 'til ~ 19 July, but maybe you should try the new Bellagio case. It doesn't block the memory stick slot and allows you to sync with the cradle.

I considered the new Bellagio case, but because it's not available until the day I fly to Romania, I decided to give the Sena a try.

Mark, thanks for the input, though not what I wanted to see. I don't see any way on Sena's site to cancel an order.

Bill

Last edited by broadus : 06-30-2004 at 04:16 PM.
broadus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 04:41 PM   #55
Mark29

Mini-review & pics

Just got the Sena case today, here are my initial thoughts. I love the slim fit of the case. It's very tight, maybe a hair too much but I expect it will stretch over time. The front cover sits flush, this is good as it will keep dust off the screen. It's also rigid, it should withstand daily use very well. The stitching is all tight, finish of the leather is very nice.

The camera, rear buttons, and Back button are all easily accessible even with the cover opened. Yes, to use the camera you would have to hold the front cover out of the way. I don't use it that much so it's not an issue for me. Front buttons are easily accessible as well. The side buttons are a little more difficult due to the tight fit, but again I believe that will improve as the case wears in.

The clip attachment seems to be stitched in very well. It appears that there's a chip on the chrome plating on mine, don't think I'll send it back as this area is going to see wear anyway. The belt clip seems to be very sturdy as well, I don't expect problems. I like that there's a release button to avoid accidentally dropping it off the clip. The clip attachment is in the center of the case.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the snap closure. I knew it had a snap instead of magnet when I ordered, but this is the only case that fits my needs. I'm a little concerned about the long-term life of the snap, whether it'll start tearing out.

Overall though, I'm very pleased with the case and would highly recommend it if you want a quality, slim fitting belt case.

More pics to follow.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  CRW_1001_small.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  12.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  CRW_1004_small.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  38.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  CRW_1005_small.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  29.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  CRW_1006_small.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  28.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  CRW_1011_small.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  28.0 KB  

Old 06-30-2004, 04:42 PM   #56
Mark29

More pics...

Here are a few more pics...

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  CRW_1014_small.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  28.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  CRW_1015_small.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  30.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  CRW_1016_small.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  23.4 KB  
Old 06-30-2004, 05:04 PM   #57
matrix42
Gizmo says "Woof"

Send a message via Yahoo to matrix42
Curious, where do you purchase sena cases on line, I've tried www.senacases.com, and that site I cannot get to? Is that the right place?

Thanks!
matrix42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 07:21 PM   #58
eoctanker

Sena's reply to the cover issue

I have read all the concerns and immediatley contacted Sena with those concerns. I don't care about the cradle, but the main reason that I bought the case was because I could leave the plastic cover on. My last PDA (T665) died in my pocket when the LCD somehow cracked (the Digitizer and the top sheet did not though....). Here is my email to them and their reply.

Dear Steve,

There is no such a problem. You can definitely use your case either with
the flip cover on or with flip cover off. They are all tested before we
ship them.

Thanks,
Frank

At 06:37 AM 6/30/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Reply,
>
>I have not recieved my case as of yet, but have heard that there is an issue
>with using the plastic cover and the case together. Your website states
>that the flip cover and the case can be used together, which is one of the
>reasons that I purchased your case. Is there a modification that you can do
>to the case to rectify this problem? Have your testors verified that the
>case will not cause the lid screws to fail? Do you cover damages to the
>cover due to the design of the case? If the answer is no to any of these
>questions what is your return policy? I want a case that I can use to
>protect my TH55 and continue to use the lid.
>
>Please reply and thank you for your time
>Steve

So now I wait for mine to arrive...
eoctanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:06 PM   #59
Mark29

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoctanker
I have read all the concerns and immediatley contacted Sena with those concerns. I don't care about the cradle, but the main reason that I bought the case was because I could leave the plastic cover on. My last PDA (T665) died in my pocket when the LCD somehow cracked (the Digitizer and the top sheet did not though....). Here is my email to them and their reply.

Dear Steve,

There is no such a problem. You can definitely use your case either with
the flip cover on or with flip cover off. They are all tested before we
ship them.

Thanks,
Frank

At 06:37 AM 6/30/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>Reply,
>
>I have not recieved my case as of yet, but have heard that there is an issue
>with using the plastic cover and the case together. Your website states
>that the flip cover and the case can be used together, which is one of the
>reasons that I purchased your case. Is there a modification that you can do
>to the case to rectify this problem? Have your testors verified that the
>case will not cause the lid screws to fail? Do you cover damages to the
>cover due to the design of the case? If the answer is no to any of these
>questions what is your return policy? I want a case that I can use to
>protect my TH55 and continue to use the lid.
>
>Please reply and thank you for your time
>Steve

So now I wait for mine to arrive...

I admire Frank's responsiveness to queries, but I have to wonder if they have engineers on staff. Because of the leather strap's proximity to the pivot point, the flip lid will sit at an angle - I'm guessing a little under 10 degrees. The other end of the lid ends up nearly 1/2" above the unit. When you close the case's cover, it will of course pull down the flip lid so everything closes. Of course it will work a few times. But guess what happens every time you do that? You're putting stress on the hinges and on the flip lid where the screws are securing it to the hinges. Personally, I wouldn't want to do that more than a few times. Over time, something will give. It doesn't seem to be insignificant. Engineering materials have improved greatly over the last few years, but personally I still don't like to put stress somewhere it wasn't designed to be. I'm sure Sony didn't figure on this type of stress in that area.

Mark

Last edited by Mark29 : 06-30-2004 at 09:07 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-30-2004, 09:42 PM   #60
jumpyg

How long does it take to approve an image? Somebody posts a couple of pictures, and it takes forever to actually see them. By the time they're approved, the thread is on to a new page, and I usually forget about the pictures pending approval.

This is one of the worst things about the new site.