Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Sony > Clie TH-series
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2004, 09:34 AM   #1
soulbarn

buy TH55 in London?

Hi - I was hoping to buy a Bluetooth/WiFi equipped TH55 when I visit London this week and next. Any recommendations on a good, discount shop where I can get one? I'm going to be staying near Kensington.

Also, any buying advice or "gotchas?"

thanks,

Dan
Old 05-05-2004, 09:49 AM   #2
Yaja123

Micro Anvika on Tottenham Court Road (tube/underground station of same name on Central Line) is your best option. They are highly regarded/established but they are very unlikely to budge on the listed price of 300....

...other shops on the same road may offer small discounts and they are fairly harmless bunch - just make sure you are getting a new sealed TH-55.

Last edited by Yaja123 : 05-05-2004 at 09:53 AM.
Yaja123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 10:02 AM   #3
ajayuk

hi

the high street shop dixons has it for 299. Also available at John Lewis in Oxford Street for the same price but with a 2 year warranty instead of the normal 1 year!

Don't forget you can claim back the VAT (which is at 17.5%) at the airport if you are a visitor. just ask for details in the shops.

regards
ajay
ajayuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:30 AM   #4
micky316

If you can wait till your return to the airport I got mine at Dixons Stansted airport for 255
Old 05-05-2004, 11:37 AM   #5
soulbarn

Thanks - did you mean you bought it at the Duty Free shop for that price? Do the 300 pound prices include the VAT, then?

thanks!

- Dan

PS, if you happen to find a TH55 (US Version) on an American Airlines jet bound for Brazil, it's mine....sigh....
Old 05-05-2004, 11:45 AM   #6
micky316

yes the duty free shop did have loads !!!!!! I think they are in short supply in the local shops though? The 300 is the price including vat.the airport price was vat free(255 x 1.175=299) good luck and dont forget your wellies!
mick
Old 05-05-2004, 11:45 AM   #7
Unregistered

Got Mine at ASK on Tottenham court rd. They didn't know much about the thing, but were happy to take my money, and are an official Sony dealer.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:46 AM   #8
Unregistered

Sorry, forgot to say that ASK are ask-ing 279 for the TH-55.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:13 PM   #9
Yaja123

i brought it from PC World, but would have brought from John Lewis if i knew about 2 yr warranty - helps when you come to sell on eBay at some point in the future if you have long warranty left
Yaja123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 12:29 PM   #10
ajayuk

here what i propose:

1] get the th55 at 300 (inc of vat) from John Lewis in Oxford Street (2 yr warranty is cool)

2] ask them to give you a VAT reclaim form for exports so that you can claim back the VAT at the airport when flying out of uk. i think they'll need your passport to fill the form.

3] the shop will be able to tell you how much money you will get back.
17.5% of 300= 52.5
you might not get the full 52.5 as someone/somewhere gets something for the paper work. but my guess is you'll get about 40.

4] present the form with your th55 at the VAT counter at the airport. usually they offer to pay back in cash or put the money back on the card you've used for the purchase. cash is the faster option.

5] hence you get th55 for 260 with 2 yrs warranty!

6] if you think the vat reclaim is too much of a hassle and that the 2 year warranty is not such a bonus, you can buy the th55 at dixons in the airport for tax free price at 255 as an earlier poster mentioned.

8] however, at heathrow, the dixon duty free shop is only in the departure area (atleast this is the case for terminal 3).

9] my advice is that once you are in london, go in a local dixons shop and ask them to find out if there's any th55 in stock in the terminal you are flying out from. and reserve one for you to pick up on your way out.

10] personally i would buy it in john lewis (or some other local shops) and claim back the vat at the airport. beware that the small shops don't usually do vat reclaims. so ask before you buy.

hope all this helps.

ajay
Old 05-05-2004, 02:39 PM   #11
soulbarn

It does help - thanks, Ajay, and everyone else who replied. I will be buying it at John Lewis, I think, but I'll look at my options once I arrive. The British model and the American model are the same, I assume, except the British unit has BT and WiFi, as opposed to solely the WiFi on the US version....?

again, this is what makes ClieSource so great - community!

- dan
Old 05-05-2004, 05:08 PM   #12
Unregistered

I'll warn you - John Lewis is excellen, when they have stock. Most of the time I've wanted to get something electronic from them, they have not had it, including last Sunday, when I got my TH55.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:41 PM   #13
geekymamaw

Send a message via AIM to geekymamaw Send a message via Yahoo to geekymamaw
why can't you just order UK version online? This site: http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=TH55
appears to offer it with fed ex shipping of 24lb. It cost more this way . Is it worth it?
Old 05-10-2004, 03:28 AM   #14
soulbarn

I could have ordered it online, but why pay for shipping? I bought the unit at DIxon's - it cost 299 and when I leave the country, I get my documentation verified at customs, and within a few weeks, my VAT is refunded.. That's 17% off, so at current exchange rates, comes out to about 250. Dixon's credits the VAT refund back to my credit card when they receive documentation (I didn't choose the buy at airport option because I need the machine, and also because the unit is somewhat rare - I checked at several shops, including the ones above, and it was out of stock at many; I didn't want to take the chance of losing out at the airport.) In any case, there's a service charge from Dixon's for processing the VAT refund of 10. So my total price was about $460; assuming I paid retail and sales tax for the unit in California (total price of $399, plus about $33 tax, total of $432, that's a very good price for the benefit of getting Blutooth with the UK model.

However, there is a potential warranty issue, as Sony may or may not service the device, according to Dixon's. I haven't read the full warranty statement, so I don't know.

Still, my CLIEs have proven to be reliable.

- thanks for all everyone's help -

Dan
Old 05-10-2004, 06:57 PM   #15
ajayuk

cool! glad you got it.

two years ago, when i took a digi cam at customs for vat refund, the guy at the counter asked me if i wanted the refund in cash or back on my card. cash is instantaneous whilst the card takes weeks. so, may be you won't have to wait weeks afterall :-)

the warranty issue is an interesting one. would like to hear more about it.

ajay