Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Sony > Clie TH-series
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2004, 02:05 PM   #31
rldunn
Michigan Mod

There definitely is a learning curve, but not in the normal sense. For the most part, it's not that hard to figure everything out. The hard part is retraining yourself to use it effectively, since you've never had the ability to do handwriting and add in notes, pics, and voice recordings before. If you can figure out how to use them effectively, I think this may be a very efficient program for some and well worth the time to learn it.
rldunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 04:08 PM   #32
andrewcoffin

I haven't read through all of the posts above, but here are my initial thoughts on the the Clie Organizer:

1) It does run a little bit slow. It's not terrible, but there is a slight lag. However--this is important--I would advise potential TH55 users not to judge the device as a whole by this. Every other program I've tried on the TH55 (including DocsToGo, Mapopolis, WorldMate, Agendus, etc.) runs very quickly. The processor seems to do a great job handling everything but this program.

2) The Clie Organizer is innovative, impressive, and fun to play around with...but lacks too many standard features that I'm used to using in Agendus, which has been my calendar/to do/contacts app for some time, and which I sync with Outlook 2003. For instance, my schedule is very much dependant on category support, which does not appear to exist in the Clie Organizer.

3) So my initial reaction was that the organizer was gimmickee, but not very useful in the real world. However, I think I have come up with a way to make it a useful part of the way I use my Clie. I will continue to use Agendus as my primary calendar app.
Freenotes is my favorite part of the Organizer, and is a very good free hand writing app...the usefulness of FreeNotes got me thinking about how I can utilize the DateBook section of the organizer, and I think I'll view it simply as a sophisticated extension of FreeNotes. In other words, if I need to scribble a quick note about an appt. (a change, a phone number, etc.), then writing that directly on top of the appt. is the perfect place to do it, and is much quicker than tryin to add data directly into Agendus on the fly. Then, I can update my calendar items at my leisure, either in Outlook or Agendus.

All this to say, while the Clie Organizer will not replace my core apps, I think it is a useful addition to my Clie...
andrewcoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:58 AM   #33
msurtees

What is that?!

Trying to learn the new organizer and I'm not sure what I'm looking at:

On two days of this month I have a small icon that looks like a square with a small filmstrip??? There's no text.

If I click on it, itchanges color while I'm touching it...when I release it's back to black and white again.

What the heck is it?

Thanks much!

(And yes...I have NOT read the instructions.)
msurtees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 08:38 AM   #34
Reggie
1src Founder

Re: What is that?!

Quote:
Originally posted by msurtees

On two days of this month I have a small icon that looks like a square with a small filmstrip??? There's no text.

If I click on it, itchanges color while I'm touching it...when I release it's back to black and white again.

What the heck is it?

Thanks much!

Yup, I get that too. I think it's a bug. When you paste some content or do freehand handwriting, that icon appears to indicate that there are multimedia items on that day. It is a good indicator especially when you are viewing in week or month view. The problem though is, if you delete all the content for that day, he icon is still there. Anyone figured out a workaround on this?
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:01 AM   #35
jlandkamer

I've got what is probably a very simple question. On my datebook, when I get an alarm for an appointment, I am getting two notices, one for the normal palm datebook app and another from the Clie Organizer. How do I fix this?
jlandkamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:38 AM   #36
Miss Clie

Quote:

What the heck is it?

Thanks much!

This is for the black strip at the bottom that gives you media to choose from. The media offerings are pix, voice, notes, and movies (which you can then pick to insert into Date Book or Free Notes). The little symbols serve as a toggle to show/hide that particular media in the black strip. So if you have a bunch of different media, but want to only see the pictures, you'd 'declick' the rest of the media choices, and only pix would be visible.

OOPS! That's wrong. Sorry! I was thinking about the bottom view. You're seeing a 'media' icon in the month view and week view, right? Yeah, I saw those, and I couldn't figure them out, either. There didn't appear to be anything on that date at all, and the icon didn't make anything happen.

Sorry for my goofy reply above...

Last edited by Miss Clie : 02-24-2004 at 09:41 AM.
Miss Clie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:48 AM   #37
Miss Clie

Quote:
Originally posted by jlandkamer
I've got what is probably a very simple question. On my datebook, when I get an alarm for an appointment, I am getting two notices, one for the normal palm datebook app and another from the Clie Organizer. How do I fix this?

It *should* fix by going into the preferences for the Clie Organizer and unchecking the Alarm Preset box. However, I did that, and I'm STILL getting dual alarms from DateBk5 and the CO. I'm not sure how to force the CO to stop.

It's highly annoying.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:15 AM   #38
Miss Clie

Quote:

What the heck is it?

Thanks much!

Okay, having mis-answered this the first time, I poked around in there, and it's the 'contents icon'. In the prefs, you have the option to turn it off, and it won't show anywhere.

The question I still have is - what does it indicate? I looked at my appointments, and couldn't single out anything that was unique on those days that show the contents icon. The only thing I can think of is that the appts that I've created *since I ported my DB over* are showing with contents. So all of my old existing repeat appts don't prompt a contents icon, but anything new created since Sunday has a contents icon assigned to that date.

Anyone here that's only created new stuff? Does the contents icon show for every day you have appts? Help me fine-tune my theory.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:56 AM   #39
Rick_C

Re: Clie Organizer Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by rldunn
[[QUOTE]Originally posted by rldunn
2) This should almost be 1a. I'm not sure what that area containing the pics, notes, and voice recording is called, but we should come up with a name. I'll use Drag & Drop Bar (DDB) for now, but I'm not sure that's a great name.

First of all, thanks to rldunn for a great, candid review of the new applications in the TH55.

Looking at the manuals (yes, I actually read the documentation), the area that you named the DDB is called the "contents field" or the "contents area".

This thread and others in this site have really helped me make decisions about my (soon to be) newest PDA with respect to the PIM applications.
Could you confirm (or deny) the posts that I have read on DB5 (which I use and love!), regarding the performance on the TH55. Specifically, does the new patch 5.1a-sk support the 480x320 format properly?

Regard,
Old 02-24-2004, 11:09 AM   #40
rldunn
Michigan Mod

Re: Re: Clie Organizer Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick_C
Could you confirm (or deny) the posts that I have read on DB5 (which I use and love!), regarding the performance on the TH55. Specifically, does the new patch 5.1a-sk support the 480x320 format properly?
No, sK of DB5 does not support high-res+. I believe CESD has it hard coded into DB5 which devices support the VG area, so it's probably something as simple as adding the TH to the list. I would be surprised if it didn't work correct on the sL release, which sounds like it's about a week away.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:10 AM   #41
Miss Clie

Re: Re: Clie Organizer Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick_C

First of all, thanks to rldunn for a great, candid review of the new applications in the TH55.

Looking at the manuals (yes, I actually read the documentation), the area that you named the DDB is called the "contents field" or the "contents area".

This thread and others in this site have really helped me make decisions about my (soon to be) newest PDA with respect to the PIM applications.

Regard,

No, the new patch is 320x320 only. The version that is there for normal download is full screen, but locks up when you try to edit or create an appt.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:02 PM   #42
Earth Urchin

I would say the learning curve is similar to any of the other PIM apps, just different.

As to the keyboard, I can't say if it works with the Belkin or not, but it works fine with Sony's (KB100). I beamed over the driver from my NX80 and was typing away in no time.
Attached Images

Earth Urchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 10:46 PM   #43
rldunn
Michigan Mod

See Reggie's review of the Clie Organizer software here:

http://www.cliesource.com/forums/sh...&threadid=42997
Old 02-24-2004, 10:48 PM   #44
Reggie
1src Founder

Rod beat me into it.

Thanks Rod!
Old 02-24-2004, 11:05 PM   #45
rldunn
Michigan Mod

Reggie, just finished going through your review. That is a great review - very detailed, and the screenshots will definitely help.

Only comment I have is with regard to the following:
Quote:
The ability to add a picture to a contact is not new to the Clie. What's new though is the picture view which lists contacts with their pics on the left. It is now mandatory that an image is attached to a contact. Five sample images are provided and one is attached by default for new contacts.
Unless you're considering the outline head to be a pic, then it's not mandatory that an image be attached to a contact. I guess when I read that line, I assume you have to choose a particular pic for each person you enter, which is not true, since the outline image is there by default. Is that what you meant?