Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Sony > Clie TH-series
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2004, 08:05 AM   #16
ClieKun
Love and Peace To All :)

OS 6 OS 6!
Love Each Other And May Your God bless you.
ClieKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 08:09 AM   #17
joejoe

Re: Maybe

Quote:
Originally posted by Moose Man

I think that Sony is going in the right direction with the Clie Organzer being able to "hold" customers that want a little more - this initial "newby" version is just too much to deal with. Throw it onto the T3 with it's 400mhz processor and I'd live with it.

I have the distinct feeling that if the TH55 had the 400 MHz processor of the T|3, it might have the same poor battery life as the T|3.

If speed is your priority, the T|3 simply wins hands down. For those who choose battery life, the TH55 would seem to be a better fit.

You've made your choice based on *your* specific needs. No need to apologize.
joejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 08:42 AM   #18
inomad
NO KA OI

Send a message via ICQ to inomad
No cradle? For that price!
inomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 10:03 AM   #19
Unregistered

Re: Returning my TH55

Quote:
Originally posted by Moose Man

3. Hard coded 4th button. This can't be remapped - maybe by some software program but not with the supplied software.

I found this in another thread. http://cliesource.com/forums/showth...?threadid=42379

"The home button is designated as the Clie Organizer launch by default. You can remap the home button easily to Zlauncher by changing it in the preferences area and in conjunction with the Clie Organizer preferences. It takes changing both in order to facilitate that change. "

Sounds like you've got to change the 4th button in both preferences and disable it in the Clie Organizer software.

Rolando
Old 02-21-2004, 10:35 AM   #20
Rick_C

Smile

Thanks for a balanced, concise, and honest review!
Good luck with your T3. I'm sure Sony will come through in time...
Rick_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 11:03 AM   #21
joejoe

Interesting observation. I was visiting another Palm site which had a long T|3 vs. TH55 thread. I was astonished to find that the vast majority of the posts were aggressive in tone, bashing Sony (& by extension all their offerings) while lauding Palm. There was a singular blindside to the T|3 aficionados that prevented them from seeing or even acknowledging the TH55's strengths & innovations all the while glossing over the early & continuing issues with the T|3.

This thread in this forum on this site shows that it *is* possible to admit there are pros & cons to all PDAs & that discussion of the real issues is what is most helpful to the undecideds among us.

There was also a lack of awareness that Sony's success in no way diminishes Palm's or vice versa, rather the fact that we have two Palm PDA powerhouses is advantageous to all in terms of price as well as innovation.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:08 AM   #22
valleygifts

I agree that most posters get aggressive. I also find it interesting that Sony has gone kind of sideways with the TH rather than forward from the UX and NX series. Perhaps this is a holdover model until the Cobalt model arrive?? I have to have a PDA ASAP, so I can't wait that long, but do wish I had better options.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:24 AM   #23
joejoe

Quote:
Originally posted by valleygifts
I agree that most posters get aggressive. I also find it interesting that Sony has gone kind of sideways with the TH rather than forward from the UX and NX series.

We're coming from totally different places here. The NX & UX models were *waaaaay* out of my price range so they never figured as possible successors to my 615.

It's my personal opinion that this new series of PDAs was not meant to supplant the top of the line, high end UXs, rather they were meant to appeal to the masses who wanted a simple camera with their PDA or WiFi or a voice recorder but who were unable/unwilling to shell out the mega-bucks to do so.

So in a sense I agree it's kind of "sideways" since the TH55's feature set is not as complete as the UX's. I just don't think that it was ever meant to supplant the UX.

When Cobalt comes out, Sony will strut their stuff still again with cutting edge devices at rarified prices. Never fear!
Old 02-21-2004, 11:28 AM   #24
valleygifts

Very true. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of the NX-73 and the UX-40, than the NX80 or UX50. I hope that when Cobalt models do come out, that there is a better mix of speed, memory and function than what I am seeing now.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:36 AM   #25
iboar
W5JCK HAM Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by lostether
I have to say again as I have elsewhere that Sony must be going to introduce the next generation of the HHE soon. If OS6 (Cobalt) is going to be as processor intensive as many believe they will either have to introduce a faster HHE or go with the X-Scale for their first generation of OS6 devices.

I read somewhere that HP figured out how to make the Xscale (ARM) processor function similar to the HHE in regards to power consumption on iPAQs. That is, turn up the processor speed when necessary and turn it down when not. If HP can do this with the iPAQ using a 400mhz Xscale ARM processor, it seems that Sony and PalmOne should be able to do so as well, at least on Cobalt devices.

w5jck.com

Blackberry Pearl, HP Mini 110, and iPod touch 1G
iboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 11:51 AM   #26
Moose Man

Wink Follow UP

Here some follow up:

Quote:
Did you ever get a chance to try the web surfing compenent?

Yes - and compared to most others I've used I'd rate the Sony's version one of the best. I used it with my wifi connection and the recognition of my Linksys was quick and the loading was very tolerable. In fact, one of the deciding factors of the speed issues with the Clie Organizer was that the NetFront was so quick relative to the CO.

Quote:
I don't think anyone is angry,......we will all evaluate the TH55 based on personal needs and no doubt many will b e returned...

Anger was probably a poor choice of words on my part. Disappointment might have been better.

Quote:
Why do posters here have to preface their opinions with caveats for the fear of getting flamed or getting some people angry? I find that strange.

See above statement but I've seen some recent flames going on and wanted to preface the "hunters".

Quote:
I guess a thorough hands-on to see if the speed is a factor would be on the cards before I buy.

Speed is a relative issue - it was a poor decision for me because of the T3's speed issue but if I'd been upgrading from something else then it probably wouldn't have been that big a factor. The TH55 has definite attractive qualities that shouldn't be overlooked. For those considering purchasing it - coming from a T3 - I'd recommend alot of in store testing before purchasing.

Quote:
Speed was my one major concern. I'll continue to hold off until the next round of product announcements. Hopefully there is a follow-on TH with faster processor, more memory and OS6.

I wonder if the 32MB difference in on board had much of a factor but I was only at 51% capacity loaded with my apps so I believe the issue is strictly processor.

Quote:
If speed is your priority, the T|3 simply wins hands down. For those who choose battery life, the TH55 would seem to be a better fit.

Well said.

Quote:
"The home button is designated as the Clie Organizer launch by default. You can remap the home button easily to Zlauncher by changing it in the preferences area and in conjunction with the Clie Organizer preferences. It takes changing both in order to facilitate that change. "

Home button remapping was not the issue - the 4th button is "hard coded". It may be possible to remap as I originally stated but not without adding software. I believe this to be a major pain for many people that are familiar with Sony/Palm software. I know of no other handheld using the Palm OS that the hard buttons can't be remapped. Sony may have other models but I know on the 615 and 655 that this wasn't the case.

This Hard Coded 4th button launches the Clie Organizer Search and I don't see any icon that be used instead. This means that if your going to use the primary features of the TH55 - Clie Organizer you will have to leave this button alone.....

I think that if I had not owned a T3 - I'd be keeping this device and not writing this thread. And for me to say that $400 unit is comparable to the T3 wouldn't be accurate. I think that the two devices should be targeted at different users.

The TH55 should be used by people that want a better camera then the Zire 71, a better organizer then any core apps that Palm or Sony has ever marketed, and someone that wants the flexibility of being remote away from the computer but still able to access the internet from their couch and not have to worry about recharging the unit anytime soon. Comforatable using both hands while playing with their PDA and attempting to record a voice message.

The T3 is a power hungry speed demon that's designed to be used in conjunction with a BT phone for internet access. It assumes that the user will add their preferred software(64MB worth) and will use the device as a interim laptop when coupled with a keyboard and the right software. One handed operation to access any stored data using the D-Pad or voice recorder.

For me - the need is speed.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:05 PM   #27
jumpyg

Quote:
I hope that when Cobalt models do come out, that there is a better mix of speed, memory and function than what I am seeing now.

Unfortunately, there is no silver bullet. Faster procs and larger amounts of RAM will mean poorer battery life.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:14 PM   #28
LupeValenz
(^_^)/ Hi

Send a message via Yahoo to LupeValenz
TH55 First impressions

Alright TH55 users, time to post up what you think about your TH55 you've been playing with. As for me, I was in heaven last night/today when I played with it and find the clie organizer is the best PIM app ever made. I've wanted something like my daytime runner in electronic form and Sony has did this, only thing sony needs to do now is to give us 'themes' for the electronic paper and it would be my organizer, but it will do good for now. Also since I've had the UX50 I have to say I'm impressed with the speed, it seems to be somewhat faster than the UX. I don't know how since they are the same processor speed correct? Well viewing images, transferring files, they are just fast in my eyes. Also the Screen looks sooo beatiful in my eyes, big, beatiful, indoors or out, it stays the same, I was impressed and happy. Battery life is simply incrediable as well. Had lil field run out in the shop today and played around with it for 2 hours, doing lil note doodling, watching some videos, playiing some games and taking pictures, and the battery is at 98% now. I believe its safe to say that the TH55 I was going to use as my backup PDA is now makin me kick my UX50 back to the shelf and let that collect dust for a bit. I know its lacks a keyboard but with Decuma, I'm still just as fast with Decuma and the touch screen is not as soft as it was on the UX, it actually feels like hard glass over it. The jogdial is excellent place as I find my index finer is laying down on that dial all the time so great for Sony to do that. I'll miss the landscape the UX has but now that I think of it, Clie organizer wouldn't do too good inlandscape. You just need lots of room to make the organizer effective. More room in portrait mode to display more times...but maybe if you have alot of meetings or sstuff at the same time, then yeah, the UX would do good in landscape but I doubt that will happen *can only be at one place at a time *. OVerall, I'm VERY satisfied with my TH55 and have converted couple of my people in my shop from paper orgaznier to electronic ^_^
LupeValenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 12:16 PM   #29
Unregistered

great review. thanks.

just out of curiousity, did you not know all this stuff, or have the chance to play around with a working model, before you bought it?

where did you buy it from? is there a restocking fee?
Old 02-21-2004, 12:19 PM   #30
sylvester

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/fairy/chimer.../THeGoGo100.zip
This free software can change the button of TH55, sure can make button of TH55 more useful!
sylvester is offline   Reply With Quote