Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
  NEWS
  Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
  FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
  Games
  Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
  Audio/Video
  Cellphones
  Digital Cameras
  Gaming
  Gadgets & Gizmos
  Non-Palm OS PDAs
  PCs/Laptops
  Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
  FREEWARE
  Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
  ABOUT US
  Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
  LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices: 

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Sony > Clie TH-series
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2004, 07:55 PM   #1
krypticide
Senior Monkey Member

What's so bad about Graffiti 2?

What's so bad about Graffiti 2? I've never used it. I used to have an old NR70, and never heard of Graffiti 2. I'm making a comeback into the Palm scene, with a pre-ordered BB TH55. :-D The perfect PDA has finally come for me...
krypticide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 08:56 PM   #2
jumpyg

I was wondering myself. I will certainly give it a shot to see if I like it. It will also be interesting to see how well Decuma works.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:08 PM   #3
threengs
Senior Pretender

Send a message via MSN to threengs Send a message via Yahoo to threengs
Decuma is great. You'll never want to go back to graffiti ever again after using it.

Handspring Visor, Handspring Platinum, Palm M505, Palm Zire, Sony Clie T-415, Sony Clie TJ-35, Sony Clie UX-40, Sony Clie TH-55, Palm Treo 650, Apple iPhone, Apple iPhone 3G
threengs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 10:10 PM   #4
rldunn
Michigan Mod

I don't think it's bad per se, just different. And because of that and the fact that some people were so used to Graffiti 1, they don't like it. For me, it's a wash. Some things are very cool (like the autocap when crossing middle line feature, ala MiddleCapsHack), and some things are awful (I think t's and k's are awful now). If I had to decide, I would probably pick G1, but I won't switch back since due to the lawsuit, for better or for worse, we're stuck with G2, so I'll have to learn it someday. Might as well be now.

Decuma is pretty cool. I used my keyboard on my NX almost exclusively, but since I pre-ordered my TH, I've forced myself to go without it to see if I can deal with using pen input. I make mistakes in Decuma just as I do in G2 and I'm slower with both of them than I was with the keyboard, but I think once I get used to each of them, speed will improve.

YMMV.
rldunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 11:36 PM   #5
krypticide
Senior Monkey Member

Yeah, I used to have something akin to MiddleCapsHack, and I'm happy to see them do a true implementation. What's this about a lawsuit? Did someone accuse Palm of stealing their Graffiti technology?
Old 02-18-2004, 11:52 PM   #6
gvegaa

Send a message via Yahoo to gvegaa
I agree with rldunn Graffiti 2 is not bad, it is easier for new users and harder to use for Graffiti 1 fans.

What I don't like is:
Letter "t"
the number 1 followed by a - (comes to a +)
no (real) option to customize letters (for writing)

Decuma is very good as well, I use it also. Is great to show off!
And do not forget to do good and to share with others... (Heb 13:16)
Old 02-18-2004, 11:53 PM   #7
Bodhammer

http://www.xerox.com/downloads/usa/..._3Q2003_10Q.pdf

Quote:
Xerox Corporation v. 3Com Corporation, et al.: On April 28, 1997, we commenced an action in U.S. District Court for the
Western District of New York against Palm for infringement of the Xerox “Unistrokes” handwriting recognition patent by the Palm
Pilot using “Graffiti.” On January 14, 1999, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (“PTO”) granted the first of two 3Com/Palm
requests for reexamination of the Unistrokes patent challenging its validity. The PTO concluded its reexaminations and confirmed the validity of all 16 claims of the original Unistrokes patent. On June 6, 2000, the judge narrowly interpreted the scope of the Unistrokes patent claims and, based on that narrow determination, found the Palm Pilot with Graffiti did not infringe the Unistrokes patent claims. On October 5, 2000, the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit reversed the finding of no infringement and sent the case back to the lower court to continue toward trial on the infringement claims. On December 20, 2001, the District Court granted our
motions on infringement and for a finding of validity thus establishing liability. On December 21, 2001, Palm appealed to the Court
of Appeals. We moved for a trial on damages and an injunction or bond in lieu of injunction. The District Court denied our motion for
a temporary injunction, but ordered a $50 bond to be posted to protect us against future damages until the trial. Palm provided
a $50 irrevocable letter of credit in favor of Xerox. In January 2003, after the oral argument, Palm announced that it would stop
including Graffiti in its future operating systems. On February 20, 2003, the Court of Appeals affirmed the infringement of the
Unistrokes patent by Palm’s handheld devices and that Xerox will be entitled to an injunction if the validity of the patent is favorably
determined. It remanded the validity issues back to the District Court for further validity analysis. On March 20, 2003, we sought
reconsideration of the Court of Appeals opinion, but such reconsideration was denied on April 8, 2003. The parties anticipate being contacted soon by the District Court regarding procedure to be followed on remand. Because the validity of the patent must be reconsidered, the basis for the protection bond no longer exists, and the $50 irrevocable letter of credit has been returned. We received a decision and order of the District Court on July 21, 2003 which sets a schedule for briefing of summary judgment with respect to the issue of validity of the patent in suit, with a hearing for argument scheduled to occur on December 10, 2003. Pursuant to a court order of July 17, 2003, (1) expert reports were exchanged between the parties during the third quarter 2003, (2) depositions of experts from both sides were taken shortly thereafter, and (3) summary judgment motions, directed solely to the issue of validity, were filed by the parties on October 10, 2003.

Phuck Xerox...
Bodhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 11:54 PM   #8
jehhrie

I am used to Graffiti 2 now after a few weeks of using it. But when you're used to using Graffiti 1 then just shifted over to G2....it is really a pain in the ***...especially when the last letter of the word you are writing is an L then you make a stroke to have a space after the letter. The L becomes a T, man.....Now I am used to this but sometimes still forget about the L. Anyway, practice makes perfect so to say!

jehhrie

A smile from you can bring happiness to anyone....Even if sometimes they don't like you.

Stay happy....coz the best things in life are made to last!
jehhrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 02:31 PM   #9
Cyker

Graffiti 2 isn't toooooo bad I guess. A lot of the old strokes from G1 are still valid.

However, I don't like all the new two-stoke symbols.

G1 was genius - every character was a single stroke, but this is no longer the case with G2, and the added complexity makes some chars harder to correctly enter quickly.

I wanna try Decuma, but for me i suspect G1 will be faster still.
Cyker is offline   Reply With Quote