Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
  NEWS
  Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
  FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
  Games
  Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
  Audio/Video
  Cellphones
  Digital Cameras
  Gaming
  Gadgets & Gizmos
  Non-Palm OS PDAs
  PCs/Laptops
  Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
  FREEWARE
  Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
  ABOUT US
  Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
  LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices: 

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Topic Specific > Wireless
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2003, 10:05 PM   #1
bevoy

BT Enabled Cell Phones ??

I believe I saw threads relating to this question previously, but they may have been lost in the ClieSource crash.

I live in the Phila, PA region of the U.S. and would like to get a Bluetooth enabled cell phone to connect to my SJ30 with a BT MS. I checked websites for Cingular, Verizon, and TMobile and could not easily find such a phone. Am I not looking hard enough? Can someone suggest a phone that is readily available and relatively inexpensive? Are there add-on accessories available that can be added on to a phone to enable BT?

Why is the technology so hard to find in the U.S. It seems like it has not really taken off here yet.

Any help is appreciated. This has been a great forum for my BT education process.
bevoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 03:05 AM   #2
nsingleton

I don't know about the US but in the UK the main ones seem to be Sonyericsson and Nokia. I use a T68i with my Clie for accessing email on a daily basis with no probs.
Old 02-16-2003, 06:29 PM   #3
bevoy

Thanks for the reply nsingleton. It seems like the Sony-Ericsson T68i with built-in bluetooth and the T61d with an add-on adapter are available.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for phone models?
Old 02-17-2003, 05:12 AM   #4
blastradius
Mmm, the glow.

Most BT-enabled phones are GSM. Make sure you find one that supports GSM1900 for the US. I haven't seen any CDMA BT-enabled phones (don't know why).

http://www.expansys.us/d_bluetooth.asp
blastradius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 06:01 AM   #5
MonkeyK

I have a SonyEricsson T68i which is bluetooth enabled. I got it for free from T-Mobile (well, I had to convince them to honor a $200 rebate from Amazon.com, which they did upfront, and then I have a $50 rebate). Just go into the store, they have them. I think that they have recently added them to their website too.

Haven't got any bluetooth accessories yet though...

-Mike
MonkeyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 02:51 PM   #6
bevoy

Thanks for the info blastradius. I looked at the web site you provided and this seemed list a good list of phones.

I did see the T68i on Amazon for free and I am leaning towards this phone. Not bad for free.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:11 PM   #7
swinter

Re: BT Enabled Cell Phones ??

Quote:
Originally posted by bevoy
I believe I saw threads relating to this question previously, but they may have been lost in the ClieSource crash.

I live in the Phila, PA region of the U.S. and would like to get a Bluetooth enabled cell phone to connect to my SJ30 with a BT MS. I checked websites for Cingular, Verizon, and TMobile and could not easily find such a phone. Am I not looking hard enough? Can someone suggest a phone that is readily available and relatively inexpensive? Are there add-on accessories available that can be added on to a phone to enable BT?

Why is the technology so hard to find in the U.S. It seems like it has not really taken off here yet.

Any help is appreciated. This has been a great forum for my BT education process.

The one you want is the Sony Ericsson T68. (I think it's the T68i, but not 100% sure.) AT&T, Cingular, and T-Mobile should all have it. (If T-Mobile doesn't, they will. Alternatively, there are web venders that will sell it or the T39 to you and arrange a T-Mobile hookup.)

Ideally, you want a carrier with GPRS service so you can browse the web on the phone or on your CLIE at faster speeds that old-fashioned dial up. That may limit you to T-Mobile, but you should check AT&T as well.

I am using a T615, BT MS, and an Ericsson T39. Have been doing GPRS on the phone with no problems since April-May. After erratic experiences with Voicestream GPRS on the CLIE, I switched to dial-up access on the CLIE with a regular ISP. Today, I switched back to T-Mobile GPRS service for my CLIE. Must say it is working very smoothly -- like silk. All it took was to create a new data connection on the T39 and then the simple network set up (*99***2#, where "2" is the CID number of the data connection on the phone) on the CLIE. No problems at all.

If you are interested, I am using Xiino for web browsing and SnapperMail for my pop email accounts.

Old 02-18-2003, 11:58 AM   #8
Jaindoire1
Mmmmm.....Sony...

Send a message via AIM to Jaindoire1
oh please, oh please, oh please swinter, could you post your set-up details, step by step?

I have t-mobile, t68i and Clie w/ bluetooth and Pocket link. I've seen many set-up instructions, but none had the *exact* setup, clearly written. I am lost and draining my clie's battery quickly fumbling with this. I've searched on the forums, but due to the Great Wipe-Out, I'm not finding much...

Thanks in Advance
Old 02-18-2003, 01:01 PM   #9
swinter

Happy to . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaindoire1
oh please, oh please, oh please swinter, could you post your set-up details, step by step?

I have t-mobile, t68i and Clie w/ bluetooth and Pocket link. I've seen many set-up instructions, but none had the *exact* setup, clearly written. I am lost and draining my clie's battery quickly fumbling with this. I've searched on the forums, but due to the Great Wipe-Out, I'm not finding much...

Thanks in Advance

First, here's the palm webpage with the basic info on how to configure the Palm. (Note that this is pre-OS 5; I don't know if there are any change, though I would think not.)

http://www.palm.com/fi/mobile/gprs.html

Second, I have a T39 and not a T68. I assume the menus are substantially similar.

Okay:

(1) First you have to make sure your SIM card is registered for data services for a PC or PDA. Being registered for GPRS on the phone is not the same thing as they use two different gateways.

(2) Next, on the phone go to Settings and find "Data Comm.", in the "Data Comm." menu click "Data accounts" then "Add new account." Click "GPRS data." It will ask you to give it a name. I called my two data accounts GPRS (for the Palm) and WAP (for GPRS on the phone). Click "yes" after you enter a name and it should take you to a new menu with with three fields: APN, User id, and Password. Ignore the latter two; you need to enter only the APN. What I used for the APN is the old Voicestream data gateway which is "internet2.voicestream.com". (You can call T-Mobile data support at 800-937-8997 and ask if there is a new one, but the old ones for GPRS and WAP are both still working.) Click "yes' then "Save." You should get a prompt saying New GPRS account created (or some such). Before you leave this menu, however, click on the account you just created. You will get a menu with three fields: Edit, Rename, and CID=[n] where n is a number (will probably be 2). Remember that number.

(3) You also need to pair the phone with the CLIE if you are going to use Bluetooth. (This is not necessary for IR connections.) On the phone go to Extras - Bluetooth - Discover. It should search for and find your CLIE. The CLIE has to be put into discoverable mode first, of course: Go to Preferences - Bluetooth and make sure the setting are Bluetooth - enabled, Allow Device to be Discovered  - yes. When the phone finds the CLIE, the latter should give you a prompt "Add to trusted devices?" or something like that. I forget what the phone does, but there may well be something similar. (It's been a long time.) If one or the other asks for a security code, I believe it is 0000 (four zeros). (If that doesn't work, try four ones; if you assigned one or the other of the machines a security code, you may have to use that one.)

(4) Now that the phone and CLIE are paired (each should list the other in the appropriate menu field: "Trusted Devices" on the Palm unit, "Paired devices" on the phone), you have to configure the Palm-side of the connection. In Preferences go to Connection. There should be a list of "Available Connections" that includes "BT to E. T68i." If there isn't you have to go here

http://www.palm.com/fi/mobile/drivers.html#6

first to obtain the drivers and install them on your CLIE. Once installed, select "BT to E. T68i."  (At this point, you can tap on Edit and make sure the next screen's settings all look correct and from there you can tap on Details to set the connection speed.) Then go to Preferences - Network. In the Palm pulldown menu tap New. Enter a name (e.g., T-Mobile or GPRS), for User name just enter the letter A, for Password just enter the letter n, for Connection select BT to E. T68i, and in the box next to Phone enter

*99***2#

Where 2 is the CID number from step (2) above. So, if you got a different CID number when you created the Data account on the phone, use that number.

Before you leave this screen, tap on Details. On the Details screen select Connection Type: PPP, Idle timeout: Never, Query DNS: checked, IP Address: checked. (These can also be added manually, but you shouldn't have to.) Tap OK.

Now you're done. You will be back at the Network screen and can tap Connect. You will get a series of Progress boxes: Initializing, Dialing, Signing on, Established. To double check that you are actually connected you can go to the Preferences pulldown menu, Option - View Log. Scroll down. It should show a Local IP address, a Gateway address and a couple of DNS addresses. (If any of these are 0.0.0.0 you aren't actually connected.) 

Good luck.

BTW - I have no idea what Pocket Link does, so you are on your own there.

Last edited by swinter : 02-18-2003 at 01:06 PM.
swinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 01:13 PM   #10
chazzz

Send a message via ICQ to chazzz
(In a related story) I, for one, am not terribly impressed with Verizon Wireless... I've been with them for a few years now, but am growing tired of their lack of staying closer to the cutting edge. Yes, they have a Thera PPC phone, but no BT phones yet. They do, however, have a BT headset which they are trying to push -- Go figure.

I called them about BT phones yesterday and the guy on the other end kept saying, "Well, the headset works with an adapter cable to plug into regular [non-BT] phones." I finally had to say, "Listen: I don't care about the BT headset. I need to know if you have any BT-enabled phones right now." After about five minutes of being on hold, he came back and said, "No, we don't have any... no, we're not sure when we'll be getting any."

Welcome to the wonderful world of high technology.
chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 01:29 PM   #11
swinter

I hear you . .

Quote:
Originally posted by chazzz
(In a related story) I, for one, am not terribly impressed with Verizon Wireless... I've been with them for a few years now, but am growing tired of their lack of staying closer to the cutting edge. Yes, they have a Thera PPC phone, but no BT phones yet. They do, however, have a BT headset which they are trying to push -- Go figure.

I called them about BT phones yesterday and the guy on the other end kept saying, "Well, the headset works with an adapter cable to plug into regular [non-BT] phones." I finally had to say, "Listen: I don't care about the BT headset. I need to know if you have any BT-enabled phones right now." After about five minutes of being on hold, he came back and said, "No, we don't have any... no, we're not sure when we'll be getting any."

I started out with Verizon (using the Kyocera Smartphone) but switched to T-Mobile (then Voicestream) for Bluetooth and GPRS. At the time, even they didn't support any BT phones or Palm OS machines, but one could get a BT enabled phone with a T-Mobile SIM card from various web vendors. It took several months before GPRS worked reliably on the phone, and even longer on the CLIE. But they're both working now, and I'm a happy camper.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:35 PM   #12
bevoy

Chazzz, I had a very similar experience with Verizon. The salesperson said they had a BT headset and when I asked futher questions I quickly realized he had no clue what BT was.

Needless to say they did not have any BT phones to offer.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:33 PM   #13
n2ifp
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chazzz

Yes, Verizon is like a big cautious slow moving elephant. Cutting edge technology they are not. A lot depends too on the approvals of all the 3 letter government agencies. In other words, they are slow, but sure!
n2ifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 09:44 PM   #14
MeisterMan

Bevoy, I had to contact T-mobile by e-mailing their support staff requesting the t68i. I got the e-mail back from them explaining that they do have them in stores now. Luckily, I got one for myself. Since I've also got a BT headset and the BT MS. It is great!!

See ya!
MeisterMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 02:47 PM   #15
rob_squared
That Voice In Your Head

I talked to a Verizon rep, they said that they will have BT phones "soon". Most likely that means before the end of the year.
rob_squared is offline   Reply With Quote