Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
  NEWS
  Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
  FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
  Games
  Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
  Audio/Video
  Cellphones
  Digital Cameras
  Gaming
  Gadgets & Gizmos
  Non-Palm OS PDAs
  PCs/Laptops
  Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
  FREEWARE
  Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
  ABOUT US
  Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
  LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices: 

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Sony > Clie NX-series
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2004, 02:00 AM   #1
dolphinoverlord

Angry Aarggh!!!! 5 Hard Resets This Weekend!!!

let's see if i can remember all of this- also note there may have been ways around the errors but i couldn't figure them out. anyone else got any horror stories like this?

<remarkable string of bad luck>

Hard Reset 1.
Out of sheer boredom, I install Acrobat Reader on my NX70V. After discovering what a pointless waste of time this was, I decide to delete it. It comes with a bundled app, called "PrintMe" or some such crap. I try to delete it- AND IT WON'T DELETE! JOY! This is bad for 2 reasons- 1- more obviously, lost RAM. 2- AN UGLY DAMN 12x12 ICON! So i go to my file manager - "Database protected". The file can't be deleted.

Hard Reset 2.
I forgot to delete the Adobe PRC's from the Palm Desktop <username> directory. So when I hotsync, Acrobat and the insipid PrintME crap is re-installed. Thinking all will be well and good-

Hard Reset 3.
I deleted the <username> directory, and spent like 2 hours getting all the crap I had there before re-installed & re-registered, as well as numerous Cli¨¦ updates & patches. I unfortunately download the incorrect Bluetooth driver from Sony's useless customer service website (drivers for on-board BT versus PEGA-MSB1 drivers). This causes the Cli¨¦ to freeze at the white "PalmPowered" screen. Yeah.

Hard Reset 4.
Again, got everything installed, but this time had the commonsense to do a MSBackup before proceeding. I unfortunately decided that since I'd done the backup I could just run wild with the backup to fall back on should anything go wrong. Zlauncher's running great- so I go looking for themes. I see one I like the look of here @ Cliesource, and there are 2 files-
one marked "download for all Sony's"
and one marked "all OS5 Palms".
Since the theme file for "download for all sony's" was something like "theme_OS4.ZIP" I thought that it must be for the old Sony PDA's. So I download the "OS5 Palms" version. Zlauncher kicks it. Soft reset does nothing. And since I can't change the theme from the "Prefs" app to stop the freezing whenever the launcher stuffs, I need to hard reset- but

Hard Reset 5.
After HR 4, I load up MSBackup, expecting things to run smoothly. Nope.
"Import error: /Palm/Programs/MSBackup/0/Inch¡õ"
Soft reset- and it hangs at the white "PalmPowered" screen again. Shoot me.

</remarkable string of bad luck>
So everything seems to be running fine for now, I swear, it took all I had to stop hurling the damn thing into a nearby brick wall. So it occurs to me that
1. MSBackup is a buggy piece of ****
2. Palm's OS needs filesystem support for directories in rom (the last time I HR'd a few months back was because I'd install stuff & delete it but it would leave behind heaps of databases and reduce my free memory to nearly nothing)
3. Palm should give me the right to delete whatevcer I want to delete. I'm not so retarded that I'm going to go delete AvxCORE but I want the right to delete PrintMeAPP without some message patronizing me
4. I need sleep
Old 01-12-2004, 02:05 AM   #2
dolphinoverlord

why does it say i'm a guest?
Old 01-12-2004, 02:19 AM   #3
meir87
Yes, it is photoshopped

HR 1 and 2 could have been avoided by installing FileZ and unprotecting the database. HR3 could have been prevented by doing a warm reset (holding down "up" button) which prevents all drivers from loading and then deleting the bad driver and doing a soft reset. I'm not familiar enough with ZLauncher to know what you could have done there and I've never heard of that error in MSBackup.

I am now a happy Loox 720 user.
meir87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 02:52 AM   #4
CopyCat
Cawee Uza

The Cliesource forums say your a guest when you enter your name and password in the post field instead of logging in from the main page.

I understand your frustrations, while most of the things you did could have been avoided it is still frustrating...but this is the case with many computer related electronics Glad your on your feet again. This is a good example of why once you get a good setup running for a few weeks get that MSBackup ASAP and even something like BackupBuddy is a great resource to have, and even use your computer as a backup system.

If you needed help before resorting to the a Hard Reset, which should be the LAST resort, make sure to come here and ask for help we usually can answer most of the questions that have answers
Old 01-12-2004, 05:36 AM   #5
Wytnucls
Errare Humanum Est

Don't try to modify the Printme files, even with Filez, you will get a hard reset! Live with them tucked away in your hidden tab.
Wytnucls is offline   Reply With Quote