Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:†

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Sony > Older Clie
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2003, 09:58 AM   #31
Jun
Global Source PDA

Re: IMPORTANT new clie

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
I have received news from my japanese friend who has a wife that works as a sale rep. for sony and she told him of a new model called the NX70vx. acording to my japanese "pinpal" this new model looks just like the nx70v except a tad thicker because it inclueds a built in 5gb hard drive and has blue tooth, he said his wife saw a memo from a developer and than saw a presentation of the real thing as it was shown to the clie project leader, the hard drive stores mpeg4 video and audio the body of the unit is said to have DSP stamped on it right below the palm logo. The person show the unit said the dsp chip set within the unit helped the 300,000 pixel camera record at 30fps and play back at 320x240 screen size. The person then pluged it into the new a/v cradle (she says it looks kind of like the new one for the nz90) while in the cradle he then started to record from the t.v. like a tivo and then past around the unit so everyone could see the smooth play back. He also played music from the unit on new software called cile jukebox and he imported music and video, both from the t.v. and the new camera which was then watched and listened to on standerd clies he also told of bluetooth station for wireless sync and importing of video and audio when the station is pluged into these sources he sent me an email with pics of the memo which show the specs. design and measurements but my computer failed to open the attachments and he then sent me a fax but no image was present but the words were there (in japanese, which i speak) i'll try to send proof in i get better pics his wife said is was all smooth

Unregistered:

Coincidentally, Intel will be announcing the so called 'wireless Internet on a chip' (aka Manitoba) that integrates flash memory, a digital signal processor (DSP) and an XScale processor core onto a single chip. That is intended for mobile smartphones but can also be used in most PDAs already using the XScale processor.

Manitoba is expected to include a 400MHz DSP, a 400MHz XScale and up to 16MB of flash memory. It will be built on the 0.13-micron chipmaking process. Intel has said in the past that the chip could deliver twice the performance and use half the power of a non-integrated package.

Read more about Manitoba on :

http://news.com.com/2100-1040-932008.html

http://news.com.com/2100-1033-984290.html?tag=fd_top

Last edited by Jun : 02-12-2003 at 11:20 AM.
Jun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 10:01 AM   #32
jmg_NX21
POWER T680 User
Bronze Contributor

Needs the attention?

IF unregistered WERE not able to post...
Godfather to an Angel
Godfathered by an Angel:
RIP: Paloma Geronimo

mrg9605.com
noncents.net
ipgeek21.com

justdai.com
reddingk.com/
georgeozuna.com
goaskoscar.com
jmg_NX21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 10:32 AM   #33
Phydeaux III

If someone described the NZ to me six months ago, I would have thought is BS too....

Iím sorry but my karma ran over your dogma.
Phydeaux III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 10:38 AM   #34
Unregistered

specs. from a friend

Sorry about my last messages i was typing fast and trying not to be last for work this morning so as it stands the specs. for the new unit are:
200mhz processor intel/or TI
5gb mini harddrive
bluetooth
DSP camera (Digital signal processor are used to improve CMOS camera arrays. the processor cleans up the noise and even can be used to incress the frame rate making for a better camera than sony used before on their other models of clies(no DSP)
NEW software:
Format veiwer-for viewing images from other media formats(though i don't think if the model is released, this software will be present, because of the higher size mem. sticks coming out)
Clie Jukebox (harddrive means more storage for music)
Clie Recorder (like tivo, format the incoming video to mpeg4 on the fly to be viewed on the clie along with audio)
Bluetooth network utility (allow wireless conection to a/v and sync ) it will come out later (the base station and software for clie models)
it all looks impressive, but it also looks like something sony is capable of, lets just hope it come out. P.S. sony has a new cyber shot camera called the vx with new mpeg4 abilites
Old 02-12-2003, 11:25 AM   #35
Jun
Global Source PDA

Unregistered:

Seriously, we don't want to ignore the specs you mentioned but if you can provide us a picture or any forms of presentation to support what you are talking about, it will be greatly appreciated.
Jun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 11:46 AM   #36
eric2002
NZ90

so getting back to this new sony device.... a photo would be nice? or some literature on a respectable site?
eric2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 12:27 PM   #37
macdaddinator

Thumbs down false rumour

This is a sham. There is a big reason Sony has not and will not ever put a hard drive in any of their consumer devices in the near future. They are deathly concerned about protecting the IP (intellectual proprerty) of their music and movies. Even with ATRAC-only recording, I highly doubt they would do this. Keiji Kimura, Sony senior VP in charge of consumer electronics, told Wired writer Frank Rose in January when asked if they were considering putting a hard drive in a product ala the Apple iPod (which he admittedly admires): "We do not have any plans for such a product." This is straight from the top brass in Tokyo. To think that the entire company did a 180, including R&D, fab and development, in under 4 weeks is highly doubtful, to say the least. Nice one, though.

Check this article:

The Civil War Inside Sony
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.02/sony.html
macdaddinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 12:30 PM   #38
Uninformed

To Unregistered

Respectfully speaking, while I truly appreciate the posts, going unregistered is still a bit strange. No one is going to flame you for being wrong about the ultimate specs of this prototype/wip, unless you are making the entire thing up.

I hope you also appreciate our collective skepticism given the substance of the posts. The board gets these unregistered kinds of posts all the time and most people have gotten tired of them because they do not seem reliable from the get go.

One picture/link, etc. would go a long way to establishing your credibility.
Uninformed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 12:38 PM   #39
ccelada

This i find unbelivable:

Why would sony use a 200 MHz processor, in sucha a device (harddrive, etc)... when there are faster processors out there?... souldn't they try better processors before harddrives?...
ccelada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 01:34 PM   #40
kkerruish

Send a message via ICQ to kkerruish
All -

This is not improbable...since the official specs aren't available (not to mention the whole thing might not be legit given the 'Guest' status...who knows?

The hard drive doesn't have to be analog - they could use the CF type 5gb Microdrives from IBM...an indication of this is that a standard laptop drive (such as those found in portable MP3 players these days) weigh about the same as the clie does...

200mhz is more than sufficient...what would a faster processor allow for? The DSP chip would offload most audio and video functionality...

This would truly be an amazing portable entertainment device...to be able to record a TV show directly to the device and then watch it on a bus or a train on a pocket sized device...great concept...or throw a full movie on it with audio, etc...

Perhaps this is why Sony's not opening the CF slot up?? They are leaving it proprietary for a new flash based hard drive that can slide into it???

Ahhh...the potential...gotta love Sony's concepts if this is real...
kkerruish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 01:48 PM   #41
oneeyesquare
One kiss away

Assuming it's real, for the sake of argument, what would that make the potential product rollout if they're demo-ing it in house now?? 3 mo., 6 mo. 9 mo.??? Just in time to make everyone who bought an NZ feel like they should've waited??? The specs sound really good. The AV functionality would be awesome, who'd need a Tivo?!!!
Old 02-12-2003, 02:24 PM   #42
ArK
Legendary

y would sony put a 5gb hd in a handheld when they can make more money w/ the new ms pros? This would kill their new product. It would also kill their new wirless lan hd device. This is a smart company that likes sticking it to you for every penny. They are not going to give you somthing this great and screw two of their own products.

Further looking at magicgate and the atrac3 encoding they are worried about property tights. They would not give you a portable tivo bc it would hurt sales of dvds and music.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:31 PM   #43
Unregistered

more info

As i stated earlier, sony most likely release this unit, it is proably just a demo of what they can do. the pic i my friend spoke of was a diagram of the unit showing the front and the side with lines pointing to the newer features and if sony were to release this model they would not be losing any movie because a dvd is only for dvd players, the mpeg-2 quality is far better than mpeg-4 and the atrac3 music format is not in troble because the clie also plays mp3 flies and plus the harddrive would have no troble holding that more compressed music format of atrac3 and the demo unit is capable of using the new mem. stick pro because as my friends wife decribed it, the mem. stick was a san disk and it was 1gb capacity and the new wifi server by sony wasn't even mentioned at the meeting, besides sony never side the mini server would work any clie model, they just show it working with computers and laptops this new model will do nothing to sony's other products except incress sale in their pda division and make more money for sony. Also i don't think the vice pres. of sony would talk about a new undecided product to the media unless things are finalized and when asked about hard drive devices like the ipod he told the truth, the clie's pda not a music player, just like bill clinton, who told the most direct form of the truth, and im sure it took more four weeks for the R&D, and the rest, in order to a real working unit, the designer don't just stop working when a new model comes out , they start work on the next product in the line, my friend's wife even said the unit was complete and finished, she also said the color is like the others (not the gun metal) i was told of this product on sunday, he tried to send the diagram on monday and i try to post the memo as soon as figure out how to. i still waiting for the diagram but i trust my friend and his wife which is why i haven't mentioned their names all the info i get is in japanese anyway and for now everyone can just call me pinpal. i'll get more news as soon as i talk to my friend again because in japan right now its 9:43 am as i type at work at 4:43 pm.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:53 PM   #44
Unregistered

P.S. more info

the 64mb is told to be for the 5gb cache, not all of it but as explained to me by my friend, data is held in the 64mb before it is sent to the hard drive but it all happens very fast (his wife said the video data from the t.v. was recorded and played back all in about 5min. so they could see the quality of the 320x240 (better res. then the nx70v and the nz90 at 160x112) the data was recorded as fast as it came through to the t.v. This cache system saves power by not making the hard dive work as hard and to most likely help with the mpeg4 compression on the fly. i bet there is only 15mb just like the other models and what ever is not used for this new type of cache is program space. When you consider a intel P4 chip only has about 128kb of level 1 cache and up to 512kb of level 2 cache than this mb cache of this prototype clie must really help the hd, by grouping large chunks of data and send them down a wide bus to the hard drive to conserve power by not writing strait to the drive instead by giving the hd large amounts of data at once. when to demo unit was pasted around the exteral cd player like battery was removed and when asked the demoer said that the demo unit had rum for 5hrs non stop of play video.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:03 PM   #45
oneeyesquare
One kiss away

I think it more likely that Sony wants a piece of the iPod pie (if they produce this device). I think integration is electronics future and this would provide a '"enhanced MP3 player" side of the CLie line, just as the NZ could be the "enhanced camera" side of things..
As for calling this guy a liar, stop it... Be it untrue or not, it makes for good discussion/speculation. That's part of what "discussion" forums are for!!! Don't drive the guy away til YOU have proof...