Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
  NEWS
  Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
  FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
  Games
  Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
  Audio/Video
  Cellphones
  Digital Cameras
  Gaming
  Gadgets & Gizmos
  Non-Palm OS PDAs
  PCs/Laptops
  Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
  FREEWARE
  Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
  ABOUT US
  Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
  LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices: 

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Topic Specific > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2003, 08:33 PM   #31
21stcenturymac
Where's my NX70?
Platinum Contributor

You know, as a newbie to the Clie - I was using an Apple Newton (insert mental image of monolith from 2001 A Space Oddyssey) - I registered explicitly for the forums. My NX70V has become the nexus of my work tools and replaced even my laptop. I have learned a ton, yet have only posted one new thread regarding the use of a PCMCIA hard drive - here if you're interested: http://www.cliesource.com/forums/sh...ighlight=PCMCIA - because I don't feel like I have a whole lot to contribute yet.

I am 40 years old but I admire orincarnia for his persistant participation. I am beginning to realize that simple comraderie and dialog can lead to new info regarding the Clie and I would encourage all of the non-posting members (myself included) to simply speak their mind. One new idea from all of you would make it worthwhile and I know it is out there waiting to be heard.

Listen. Learn. Talk. . . .or don't.

Thanks all at Cliesource
Old 07-13-2003, 08:48 PM   #32
PEG-SJ30
T with VG!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by 21stcenturymac
I am beginning to realize that simple comraderie and dialog can lead to new info regarding the Clie and I would encourage all of the non-posting members (myself included) to simply speak their mind. One new idea from all of you would make it worthwhile and I know it is out there waiting to be heard.

Listen. Learn. Talk. . . .or don't.

Thanks all at Cliesource

Good point. If you look at the CompactFlash forums, the efforts of a few individuals, namely pelaca, have made a free CF driver (with easy installation) possible.

The rest of us, who aren't gifted to write/hack drivers, are the ones asking & answering our own questions, making this a more desirable place for lurkers to continue lurking.

Nothing wrong with being a good listener/freeloader. But sometimes, it's worth giving back a piece of the mind to the community.
PEG-SJ30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 09:13 PM   #33
rldunn
Michigan Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by Orincarnia
when was this forum started?
It started on December 11, 2001. Back in that first month, the most recent posts lists on the front page would contain posts from the previous day!! Look how far we've come!!
rldunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 09:53 PM   #34
21stcenturymac
Where's my NX70?
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by PEG-SJ30

Good point. If you look at the CompactFlash forums, the efforts of a few individuals, namely pelaca, have made a free CF driver (with easy installation) possible.

The rest of us, who aren't gifted to write/hack drivers, are the ones asking & answering our own questions, making this a more desirable place for lurkers to continue lurking.

Nothing wrong with being a good listener/freeloader. But sometimes, it's worth giving back a piece of the mind to the community.

I have digested so much here regarding connectivity - I am now working with a PCMCIA ethernet card via my CF-to-PCMCIA adapter to achieve wired ethernet connection. This is not quite the forum - I'll post a new thread when I have something to report, but reverse engineering can provide more solutions. In Central Florida, very little public wifi is available, but I can find an available RJ45 jack just about anywhere. I WANT INTERNET SPEED!! Would not have even considered this action if not for Cliesource forums.

More to come . . .
Old 07-14-2003, 09:40 AM   #35
ShellyBelly
I just am.....

Quote:
Originally posted by *YellowRose*
Yes, but, Grasshopper, they come to learn . . . .

One must study before one becomes a master . . .

LOL

Cute
Old 07-14-2003, 10:02 AM   #36
tonyreynolds
Sr. Industrial Designer

I registered and I don't even HAVE a Clie ...yet.

This is a great site, so much useful information and great posts. At least there's not so much of the Palm vs PPC stuff here that clutters the brighthand boards...

Tony

Past PDA's: Palm Personal, Palm Pro, Palm IIIx; HandEra 330; HP Jornada 525, 548, 565; Treo 90; Sony Clie NZ90, TG50, Toshiba Genio e550G, Sony Clie TH55, iPAQ hx4700

the perfect PDA has not yet been invented - TR
tonyreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 10:22 AM   #37
Sony-kuri

I think Clie Source is an absolutely brilliant site!! It showed me how to do stuff with my Clie that I had absolutely no idea was possible. I come on here practically every single day but I rarely post- the reason is that when I do, I ask questions that people eventually just send me off to another link where the exact same query has been answered. There is a wealth of information out here that people just come to read. Don't call them freeloaders... thats not fair. Maybe they're just not as advanced as you are. Yesterday I put up a post coz I didn't know how to INSTALL a yi-show background.. forget about creating them!! We're just looking for help from more knowlegable people and thats where ppl like Larry and Greg come in. Thanks guys!!
Old 07-14-2003, 10:57 AM   #38
n2ifp
Retired Member

ClieSource is where the action is
n2ifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 12:48 PM   #39
Srevets

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Orincarnia
i'm sitting on it waiting for you to come pick it up.......it tastes good and its getting cold better hurry

And here I thought Domino's DELIVERED!
Old 07-14-2003, 01:15 PM   #40
Srevets

Quote:
Originally posted by TheSpies
And running through the members list based on 25,038 that would mean that 15,338 members have never made a single post.

Perhaps we should consider that a blessing? Imagine if every registered member posted only once per week.... (gets out calculator)...  that would be an average of about 3576 new posts per day!    We (who have a life outside of Cliesource) would never have the time to get anything else done!

Anyway, I'm happy simply to know that there is such a huge potential resource to answer just about any question that I have or (more often) the questions I hadn't thought of that get posted here. Most of the time I'm happy to sit idly by and glean this plethora of diverse information from those more knowledgable than me. But... if I have something to contribute, I will, and hopefully in a manner that is neither deragatory, flaming, or critical (unless entirely necessary... j/k), but rather in a manner that is helpful, encouraging, sympathetic, or otherwise useful.

Besides, it's the quality of the posts, not the quantity that we all appreciate. And I don't mind my generic avatar
Old 07-14-2003, 01:33 PM   #41
L-3
serenity . . . . at last.

I think that 25,000+ users is admirable, however, I wonder how accurate it really is. I know that I've been to a web site or forum once or twice, registered to comment or gather info, and then never went back again (for whatever reason).

ClieSource tracks the "last time" each person visited AND their posting history. What would happen if Reggie and Joel put a 'limit' on someones registration. i.e. no visits and no posts in 6 months and your registration is removed or put on 'inactive' status.

It really wouldn't serve any purpose other than to know how many people are really using the board and weed out the 'dead wood'. FUrthermore, it doesn't require posting to gain access to the forums/files (a la turcic.com), but it WOULD get people to post at least once every six months to remain an active member of the board (a la yahoo groups).

As TheSpies pointed out, "15,338 members have never made a single post". I can't believe that there are THAT many either lurking or still learning.

I'm sure some folks have multiple usernames and others have forgotten their username or pw and re-registered, but all-in-all, with only 10,000 or so ever having actually posted something, I think 25,000+ is an unrealistic number. 

For me, at least, ClieSource has been about quality, not quantity, and I think that a more accurate member count would better reflect the quality of people and their wealth of information.

Just my .03
- Frank Lloyd Wright

Last edited by L-3 : 07-14-2003 at 01:36 PM.
L-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 07:57 PM   #42
RD100

Who cares whether it is 10,000+ or 25,000+ ?

They are just meaningless numbers.

The point is that there are a HELL OF A LOT of people who regularly visit this site !   

And it gets lots of rave reviews from most of the people who visit it.

I think it's worth celebrating at this time !  

Happy 25K ClieSource !!!