Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
  NEWS
  Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
  FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
  Games
  Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
  Audio/Video
  Cellphones
  Digital Cameras
  Gaming
  Gadgets & Gizmos
  Non-Palm OS PDAs
  PCs/Laptops
  Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
  FREEWARE
  Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
  ABOUT US
  Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
  LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices: 

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Topic Specific > Applications
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
thenrik

Palm Desktop Problem/Calendar Datebook Alternative

Hi:

My sister is a real estate agent with years and years of contacts and even more appointments. She uses Palm Desktop on her PC to check previous appointments, i.e. an appointment with so and so from 2006.

Apparently she's maxed out the capacity of Palm Desktop as it's deleting old appointments from years past, i.e. all of 2006. She can restore from Nvbackup but needs an alternative.

She has a Blackberry for email on the go so syncing to Outlook won't work as the Blackberry has that monopoly.

Can she export the Palm Calendar to an excel spreadsheet or would Datebook by Pimlico be robust enough to retain all of her appointments?

Obviously, Palm Desktop is dead in the water with no further development.

Any suggestions for PIM alternative platforms?

She really likes the T/X but doesn't want to lose all of her data,

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom
thenrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
Josser
Ataraxian Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenrik
. . . Apparently she's maxed out the capacity of Palm Desktop as it's deleting old appointments from years past, i.e. all of 2006.
. . .
Can she export the Palm Calendar to an excel spreadsheet
. . .
or would Datebook by Pimlico be robust enough to retain all of her appointments?

Why do you think it is maxed out? Palm® Support Knowledge Library article 24515 "Maximum number of records the Palm™ handheld and Palm™ Desktop can store."

Palm desktop can not export calender as CSV, only DBA (Palm DateBook Archive), you would need a 3rd party app like Dimex.

Pimlico DateBk uses the same data file as Palms default Datebook, no gain there.

Google is not a verb!

It is better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.

No question is so difficult to answer as that to which the answer is obvious.
- George Bernard Shaw
Josser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
JavaJiveJump
Behold the Elixir of Life

Quote:
Hi:

She has a Blackberry for email on the go so syncing to Outlook won't work as the Blackberry has that monopoly.
Tom

Are you saying she can't sync her blackberry with Outlook?

Make sure that you have completed the Configure Sync process in the BB Desktop Manager. Make sure the Address Book and Calendar is checked on the Select Device application screen. Or under Synchronization -->click the Sychhronization button next to: Configure synchronization settings for my desktop program. There you can choose Address Book, Calendar and other items and what you want to have happen.

I could have misunderstood you, but this is how it should work with Outlook 2003/2007.
JavaJiveJump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:56 PM   #4
thenrik

Hi:

My sister has Palm Desktop 4.2, the one recommended for the Palm T/x.

She can synchronize her Blackberry with Outlook but that precludes syncing the palm with outlook. I was just thinking about alternatives.

As for Palm Desktop being maxed out, she continues to get the following sync error:
Some handheld records were not copied to your PC. Your computer may be full or you may have reached the maximum allowed records on the desktop. To correct this situation, delete some records and perform a HotSync operation again.
Desktop = 858, Handheld = 856
- Some PC records were not copied to the handheld. Your handheld may be full. To correct this situation, delete some records and perform a HotSync operation again.
Calendar synchronization failed

This is a partial list of her records from Apps, info, records:
Address book: 3582
Calendar: 970
Datebook: 850
Memo: 337
Mobile Database: 4151
A5 215
Adobe 893
Ereader 1416
Eync 13015
Documens 307
Mobile profile2 636
PDF_CN_300_Min 1131

There is a limit of 10,376 number of records that can be synchronized to the Palm™ Desktop Address book application (for Windows), and a limit of 9,866 records you can manually 'enter in' the Desktop. After 9,866, you can no longer enter new records in the Palm Desktop; however, you can synchronize up to 10,376.

My sister finds as she syncs, more and more of her older calendar records are missing from both the Palm and Palm desktop.

Any ideas of what she might delete to successfully sync the Calendar?

Thanks for all the help,

Tom
Old 06-17-2009, 07:25 AM   #5
JavaJiveJump
Behold the Elixir of Life

I don't know the answer yet, but I would try to backup everything by exporting to .csv files, to be safe. That way she can even print a permanent record for safe keeping, if necessary.
JavaJiveJump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #6
Josser
Ataraxian Apprentice

That error message just meens that some records are corrupted, using DBFixIt should solve the problem. The limits are for each individual PIM data, i.e. 10k cal 10k addy 10k note 10k todo, 3rd party apps are different and do not count.

Google is not a verb!

- George Bernard Shaw
Old 06-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #7
Josser
Ataraxian Apprentice

. . . also multiple devices can sync with the same profile in Outlook or each a different profile. It is all in the Outlook help file.

Google is not a verb!

- George Bernard Shaw
Old 06-17-2009, 08:51 AM   #8
thenrik

Hi:

My sister found an older NVbackup set and did a selective restore with just the calendar on her backup T/X. Now she has two calendar sets, one with all of the older data but no new data and one with the newer data but no older data. Is there anyway to combine the two?

Can you export and then import or would a third party application like Datebook do the job?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 06-18-2009, 06:26 AM   #9
juggernaut#2
Yes, the One !

Quote:
This is a partial list of her records from Apps, info, records:
Address book: 3582
Calendar: 970
Datebook: 850
Memo: 337

as has been said before, these numbers do by far not match the maximum capacity of either the handheld apps nor the desktop. I have 900 contacts and 7.500 calendar records and no problems. (there is a slight chance that she overrun the max capacity by adding lots and long notes to calendar entries, but who would do that ...). the numbers you mentioned are those off the palm KB, and they are on a per-app-basis, not alltogether.

as also has been said before the error message she gets is caused by corrupt datebook records and/or an out-of-sync between the new PIM databases and the old ones. this could also explain missing records, as hotsync "cleans" up some corrupted records as well by deleting them. but if the problem is a wrong "chaining" of records, all it´ll find is a new corrupted record, thus deleting this one as well, and so on, eventually deleting all records and not finding the cause.

one of the possible cures is to set the hotsync option for the particular app to "desktop overrides handheld" or vice-versa, whatever device contains the newest data.

the message has nothing to do with reached max capacity (even though it sounds like that). I don´t know any user of a plam ddevice who has ever reached the limit.

all of the abovementioned problems (and more) can be solved by pimlico´s "DbScan" or - better even - "DbFixit", TealPoint´s "TealScan" and probably more apps for this purpose. have her run those and telll us what happenend.

as for your last question i suppose she did not restore the right databases for restoring the calendar database. most probably she only restored either the old or the new ones, but not all of them (no, on a TX the calendar records are not contained in "datebookDB").

BTW, you post ever new questions but don´t respond to questions and proposals ...

juggernaut
explain my nick
juggernaut#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #10
thenrik

Hi:

Thanks for all of your help. Please bear with me as I'm in San Francisco while my sister is in Albuquerque. I don't use Palm Desktop or sync and have limited calendar entries. I'm going to get my sister to join so she can post in a more timely manner.

She has DBfixit and it reports no errors. I'll post again later today and get her to post this evening.

Tom
Old 06-24-2009, 02:07 AM   #11
thenrik

My sister has two T/X palms but only syncs her primary palm to her desktop and uses Nvbackup on both. About 6 months ago she synced her primary Palm to her laptop in a fresh Palm Desktop install. She only did this once and syncs to her desktop computer continued to work flawlessly until about 10 days ago.

On her primary Palm and Palm Desktop, she get's the error message:
Some handheld records were not copied to your PC. Your computer may be full or you may have reached the maximum allowed records on the desktop. To correct this situation, delete some records and perform a HotSync operation again.
- Some PC records were not copied to the handheld. Your handheld may be full. To correct this situation, delete some records and perform a HotSync operation again.
Calendar synchronization failed

She runs Dbfixit regularly and it reports no errors but clearly some kind of "wrong chaining of records" is occurring. Each time she syncs, she loses more calendar entries. Currently she has about 900 calendar entries on her primary Palm and 4500 calendar entries on her secondary Palm as a result of a NV backup restore from January of 2008.

Perhaps, Palm Desktop is now corrupted beyond repair. She is thinking about uninstalling Palm Desktop, reinstalling and then using handheld overwrites desktop, the default. Would this be the best way to eliminate the sync error?

We also tried Tealscan, the new March, 2009, version but the error message still comes up when she syncs. I'm wary of Tealscan as the Fixall button deleted many of my registration entries as well as causing other problems. I backed up my Palm before installing Tealscan and restored it soon after. My sister also had to restore after using Tealscan when her Real Estate software would no longer work.

As for Dbfixit, I have a reoccurring problem of having the Palm reset when selecting this or that memo. DBfixit reports no errors. The solution is restoring MemosDB_Pmem. Could there be a similar solution for my sister?

Ideally my sister would like to combine the calendar entries of her primary palm, 900, and her secondary palm, 4500. She could manually enter the 900 entries into her secondary palm, do a NVbackup and then do a selective restore to her primary palm. That would be tedious.

Is there a way to beam a range of entries, say a month, with any app or is it just one at a time?

There are apps like Dimex which can export Palm Desktop calendar entries or those that work with Outlook but Calendar doesn't seem to have an import or export feature. Palm Desktop 4.2 can export or import .dba archives.

My sister could export to Outlook or use Dimex to export to Excel or any other format but what's the best way to combine the calendar files from her primary and secondary palm with all of her entries?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 06-24-2009, 05:16 AM   #12
juggernaut#2
Yes, the One !

first, your sister is well advised NOT to sync two palms with two desktops (except if they are used in a 1-1 and 1-1 situation). otherwise, errors like the ones you are reporting are prone to happen.

second, the problem reported by hotsync should usually be solved with a "desktop overwrites handheld" operation (or the other way around). maybe uninstalling palm desktop helps, but since palm desktop only displays records stored within the data directory, i doubt that ths will eliminate the cause.

to transfer records from one palm to the other is not trivial. besides beaming the records in question, preferrably with a beaming tool that allows for beaming of a whole bunch of records (see palmgear for this), I´d use datebk6 and it´s history function for this (and else as well).

juggernaut
explain my nick
juggernaut#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:08 AM   #13
Greek

MassTransit will allow her to choose which Contacts or entries in a Calendar to be beamed to another device. It's a list with checkboxes that allows to choose categories, all, etc.

Regards,
Old 06-25-2009, 10:14 PM   #14
thenrik

Hi:

Syncing with Palm overwrites desktop solved the corruption and the sync error is no longer occurring. Thanks much!

Mass Transit seemed like the ideal solution but it lists datebook rather than calendar. The datebook category successfully brought up her calendar entries, she selected all but when she tried to beam between her primary and secondary palm, it bombed with the error message that it couldn't find Datebook.

Any ideas for a work around to get the T/X to accept mass beaming from Datebook?

She could also beam to her old 505 but then how to convert the Datebook category to Calendar?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 06-25-2009, 11:55 PM   #15
thenrik

Hi:

We found a solution. Calendar allows beaming all records with a date range so she restored a Nvbackup calendar set with all of her old entries going to October of 2008 on her secondary palm. Then she beamed the newer records from her primary palm using the date range feature. At that point she had a complete set on her secondary palm. She then used NVbackup and then did a selective restore for calendar on her primary palm.

Thanks so much for all your help!

A couple of other questions: Any recommendations for software to remove duplicate entries? Would any of you recommend DDD, Datebook6 or PD duplicates cleaner? Any other apps?

Thanks,

TOm