Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
  NEWS
  Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
  FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
  Games
  Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
  Audio/Video
  Cellphones
  Digital Cameras
  Gaming
  Gadgets & Gizmos
  Non-Palm OS PDAs
  PCs/Laptops
  Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
  FREEWARE
  Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
  ABOUT US
  Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
  LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices: 

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Palm > T|X-Series
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2008, 05:14 AM   #1
thierry2064

Reset loop, not fixed by hard reset

I have this now, hard reset is very easy (no need to push on the reset button et the back), but after tapping Yes on the "Erase all data", the reset loop is still here.

I waited for two weeks for the battery to drain, no luck. Before I buy an soldering iron, I would like to know how many of you had this before ? And among those, who got it solved by draining or disconnecting the battery ?
thierry2064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
Alphasmart User

Did you try a warm reset first? (press and hold page up and then press reset)?

You don't tap "erase all data" on the screen. you press the page up key to conform the hard reset.

What kind of Palm _PDA are you trying to hard reset? If it is one of those devices with the flash ram (for example the T5 and the TX) then removing the battery will NOT erase anything.

However if it has normal RAM, removing the battery should erase the RAM.

I don't know if the battery is build in, requiring a soldering iron, but if you tell me your _PDA model I'll look it up.

Last edited by Alphasmart User : 11-18-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Alphasmart User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
Gregte

You don't need to unsolder the battery to temporarily disconnect it. All you need to do is to short its two wires together, briefly, at the two point where they are soldered onto the TX's mother board.

This will trip the circuit breaker that is built into the battery. The breaker will remain tripped, disconnecting the battery from the TX, for a minute or so, then it will reset itself and you are ready to go.
Gregte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
dmitrygr
Software engineer/hacker

Send a message via ICQ to dmitrygr Send a message via AIM to dmitrygr Send a message via MSN to dmitrygr Send a message via Yahoo to dmitrygr
DO NOT short the battery! it's a lithium ion, and it can explode easily if you do that.

My software:PowerSDHC, PowerDrive, nuRom, UDMH, warpSpeed, PowerDiGi, brightnessFix, etc...
Get it all here:http://www.PalmPowerups.com
dmitrygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
wozofoz
TX/Blazer/WiFi ) ) )

Quote:
.....but after tapping Yes on the "Erase all data", the reset loop is still here

Can you confirm you meant to say that you pushed the 5WayNav (DPad) UP.

I haven't tried this but you may want to

Hard Reset by 4 Buttons
You can read about it in full at TamsPalm but this is the basic steps:

1) While the device is resetting, hold all four hard buttons (home, calendar, tasks and web)
2) When the black progress bar on the first screen reaches 100% it should stay until you let go of the buttons.
3) Let go of the buttons and the split second the device switches to the grey palm powered screen reapply the buttons.
4) Wait a few seconds and release the buttons. With any luck you will be shown the “Are you sure you wish to erase all data screen.”
5) Press 5WayNav UP to complete the hard reset.

All the best, woz of oz
wozofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
Gregte

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitrygr
DO NOT short the battery! it's a lithium ion, and it can explode easily if you do that.

It will not explode because it has short circuit protection. It has an automatic resetting circuit breaker built into it specifically for the very fact that a shorted lithium ion battery can explode or burst into flame if shorted.

I have done this to my battery on more than one occasion. Shorting it immediately trips the breaker. It then takes a minute or more for the breaker to reset itself.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
dmitrygr
Software engineer/hacker

Send a message via ICQ to dmitrygr Send a message via AIM to dmitrygr Send a message via MSN to dmitrygr Send a message via Yahoo to dmitrygr
last time i tried, my table had a hole in it, my carpet was melted, and my room was full of thick grey smoke. so i guess my breaker was not as good as yours...

My software:PowerSDHC, PowerDrive, nuRom, UDMH, warpSpeed, PowerDiGi, brightnessFix, etc...
Get it all here:http://www.PalmPowerups.com
dmitrygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
thierry2064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphasmart User
Did you try a warm reset first? (press and hold page up and then press reset)?
You don't tap "erase all data" on the screen. you press the page up key to conform the hard reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozofoz
Can you confirm you meant to say that you pushed the 5WayNav (DPad) UP.

Yes, sorry for mistaking, I press the 5way up on my TX.
My breaker works (I tried before seeing Dmitry's e-mail), but although I shorted the battery, I am still in the reset loop.
@Gregte, should the palm wake on its own after the breaker resets itself ? Or should it wake with the power button ? Mine just do nothing, until I plug it in, which makes it wake and go back in the reset loop. I'll let it charge tonight and try again tomorrow. But hope is diminishing...
Old 09-14-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
Alphasmart User

I don't know if a zero out reset would work because Palm's website says Treo 650 and T5 only, and they have been very unclear about if it would work on the TX or not.

A zero out reset basically formats the entire _memory card, and overwrites everything in internal _memory. (there is some data a hard reset does not erase in NVFS devices. you can find the instructions here http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External20 01,Case=obj(887)#zeroout

I am not sure if this will work with the TX.

Last edited by Alphasmart User : 11-18-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Alphasmart User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:26 PM   #10
phreakonaleash
Lifeflash'd and loving it

Send a message via AIM to phreakonaleash Send a message via MSN to phreakonaleash Send a message via Yahoo to phreakonaleash
Thanks for the link woz

If you watch the youtube video I linked to there, you can see my T|X in the exact same hard rest loop as yours sounds to be in; the only solutoin I found was to send it to palm to fix it up... I did this with 4 devices before discovering the charger was bad...
Old 09-16-2008, 04:07 PM   #11
kiteandcamera

If you restore your handheld from the backup on your PC or external memory card, AND it contains the problem causing the resets, you simply reintroduce the problem back to your handheld. This is a common problem. You need to delete the backup set from your external card if you do use a backup program. Also, move the backup files from your PC to another location to your hard drive and delte the PC bakcup files for your handheld. Now perform a hotsynch and gradually reload your apps. This is a confusing and painful process, but you really are looking to freshly install your apps and data by avoiding the re-introduction of a problem that previously existed.
kiteandcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #12
phreakonaleash
Lifeflash'd and loving it

Send a message via AIM to phreakonaleash Send a message via MSN to phreakonaleash Send a message via Yahoo to phreakonaleash
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteandcamera
If you restore your handheld from the backup on your PC or external memory card, AND it contains the problem causing the resets, you simply reintroduce the problem back to your handheld. This is a common problem. You need to delete the backup set from your external card if you do use a backup program. Also, move the backup files from your PC to another location to your hard drive and delte the PC bakcup files for your handheld. Now perform a hotsynch and gradually reload your apps. This is a confusing and painful process, but you really are looking to freshly install your apps and data by avoiding the re-introduction of a problem that previously existed.

OP said they couldn't hard reset at all.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:11 AM   #13
thierry2064

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakonaleash
OP said they couldn't hard reset at all.

Thanks for answering. But who is OP ? Actually I can hard reset very easilly, just have to press the power button during the reset loop and then press the 5ways up button at the prompt.

Can anyone (who already shorted his TX's battery) answer this question : should the palm wake on its own after the breaker resets itself (after the battery was shorted)? Or should it wake with the power button ? None of this happened with my TX. Its screen just stays black, until I plug it in, which makes it wake and go back in the reset loop. I know the battery is full as it keep on resetting for all day after unpluging.

Last edited by thierry2064 : 09-17-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:42 PM   #14
Gregte

Quote:
Originally Posted by thierry2064
Can anyone (who already shorted his TX's battery) answer this question : should the palm wake on its own after the breaker resets itself (after the battery was shorted)? Or should it wake with the power button ?

It may wake on its own or it may take a press of the power button. But, if the battery disconnect solved the problem, whether shorted or unsoldered, it would not go into a reset loop.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #15
javisabe

Has anyone fix this problem? I've been reading a lot of post in the internet but I couldn't find a solution.
I had this problem with a tx, tried all the resets with no luck and now it doesn't start even if I reset it, charge, wait...
I don't want just simply give up, do you have any idea?
Tnx.

Javier
javisabe is offline   Reply With Quote