Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Topic Specific > Off-Topic > OT: Cellphones
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2006, 03:26 PM   #1
Pdaman
Retired pda user

The best Symbian os apps

Just in case I got new Nokia phone as Christmas present would be nice to get know some of the best and Symbian os apps (free is best). I don't care for Symbian os games but you can list them too. Also, I don't have any kind of experience on symbian os softwares what so ever so please don't point finger at me I'm maybe palm os "expert" but newbie on Symbian os....
Sony Clie Th55 = Simple as that, the the best pda what I have ever owned! However even it didn't keep me in the Pda world. About my gadgets, I'm now just using my psp, camera and cellphone. Maybe I will someday get a new pda, but it must to have phone cababilities so I don't need to use my regular cellphone anymore. And yeah, this means I won't be hanging in here 1src that much anymore. If someone want me to remove unfinished threads from 1src or something just pm me. Keep your gadgets running!
Pdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:18 PM   #2
Joel
1src Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to Joel Send a message via AIM to Joel Send a message via MSN to Joel Send a message via Yahoo to Joel
I hope it's a Nokia N95 -- which I won't mind getting as a gift too.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:04 AM   #3
GadgetGuru05

Send a message via Yahoo to GadgetGuru05
So, Did Santa give you what you wished for? Some guys are just lucky.... ;-)

Too many to name. Not tellin yeahhhh...

C'est la vie ou c'est la merde? ;-O
GadgetGuru05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:36 PM   #4
Pdaman
Retired pda user

Well, I didn't get anything that nice. Just Nokia 7270, so quite usual phone including some basic things and running on Symbian os series 40 (second edition). It has quite much all that I need. I don't need anything more because th55 handless all things better and faster what I need it to do. But in the end I would really want to get some basic games and usefull apps. Though I will not forget say that how much I hate writing on Nokia's keyboard, including all mini keyboards. Toucscreen is just very fast, but not good in the buss or any moving vehicle. But it is fast, at least for me because I have practised it more than five years now.
Sony Clie Th55 = Simple as that, the the best pda what I have ever owned! However even it didn't keep me in the Pda world. About my gadgets, I'm now just using my psp, camera and cellphone. Maybe I will someday get a new pda, but it must to have phone cababilities so I don't need to use my regular cellphone anymore. And yeah, this means I won't be hanging in here 1src that much anymore. If someone want me to remove unfinished threads from 1src or something just pm me. Keep your gadgets running!

Last edited by Pdaman : 01-05-2007 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Fixed Symbian os version
Old 01-02-2007, 03:44 PM   #5
JackAxe
Barbarian Artist

A touch screen would be nice, but overall I've never been happier with any other portable OS.

I don't have that many apps 3rd party apps, mainly because these guys want full price, some up towards $60 for a phone app. The phone already has pretty much what I need at the moment, but I'm always looking.

I did download vNes, but never bought it, so it only runs for a few minutes. I bought the developer relesae of Flash Lite 2 player for it.

Oh, if you're using 3rd party skins, don't axcess the active one from your memory card. If your phone is like my N70, then phone calls will suffer, as in the peep on the other end won't be able to here most of what you're saying. This bug had me scratching my head and at first I thought my phone was defective. All is good now.

<]=)

I be a hearty pirate that plunders many waffles.

The Dread Pirate Monkey Gizmo has scurvy! :)

Nintendo DS and Wii, me gaming machines of choice.
JackAxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:52 AM   #6
Pdaman
Retired pda user

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAxe
A touch screen would be nice, but overall I've never been happier with any other portable OS.

I don't have that many apps 3rd party apps, mainly because these guys want full price, some up towards $60 for a phone app. The phone already has pretty much what I need at the moment, but I'm always looking.

<]=)
I quite much agree. And btw, I can't stand those Java games for symbian os, because they usually cost over 5 euros and what they include? Nothing, just awful graphics. I have tryed to find something worth of their prize in the first days as I got my phone but did quit quite soon. There aren't just almost none of usefull utilies for free or almost anything. Or is problem with my searhing skills? Thing is just that symbian os is very limited and I did except that I would even find underclocked for it for better battery life or app to reduce screen brightness but no no. Crappy symbian os.

Luckily there are those "new generation" phones with memory card slot, 3g, better cameras and bigger screen. Though still softwares are awful and I don't think that with poor system they can do something cool. But symbian os as cellphone os it is quite good but not for else. Also, technically Nokia is very good what it does but lacking quite much on the most important, battery life. And do you guys know what? I did first time consider getting treo but still it would maybe bad move as I love my th55

However, does anyone know free virus app? I'm bit of scared of viruses and crap like that but not that scared. I haven't been scared for viruses for my th55 almost ever. It feels just soooo secure as the connection isn't always online

PS. Btw, I hate way I would even need move softwares from computer using Nokia installer suite or what heck it was even.

*Still waiting that someone could post small, free and usefull apps*

Last edited by Pdaman : 01-04-2007 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:20 AM   #7
JackAxe
Barbarian Artist

I thought your phone was the successor to mine, because mine is the first of the N7x line. I mixed your phone up with the N72.

The OS itself is actualy quite powerful, much more so than PALM OS. it uses C++, so only the phones are the limitation. Maybe this is why they're charging ludicrous prices for cheesebal apps. One example was an app I found that turned on my LED flash so I could use it as a flashlite. The guy wanted 10 bucks for this dumb thing.

My N70 (Unlocked ) has a 2-MP camera and a VGA camera, 3G support (Just not here in the US, but it supports WCDMA supposedly. ), a memory slot (With a 1 Gig MMC card.), and the screen, well I'm happy with 220x176, it's no 320x320, but for being a phone first it fits my needs quite well. The CPU runs at 220Mhz and was one of the reasons I bought this phone, since I do the Flash thing.

The phone also has BlueTooth 2.0, so is great for headsets and file transfer. I got the BH-900 to use with it and have been very happy with its performance.

Compared to the freebee Samsung I was using prior, the N70's battery life is bleh. I have to charge it every day, or else it dies. So as long as I don't forget, or have access to a plug, all is good. I haven't seen any underclockers out there, but I'll look around. Never really considered it.

I was looking at a Treo for a couple of years and ended up getting this phone, since it's a phone first. I realized that was more important to me. Also watching the new Treos come out and seeing that they were lacking things like BT 2.0 didn't help push me into a final purchase. And as I always mention, no Flash Lite 2.x support was a big factor in my purchasing decision.

I haven't looked into any virus apps, although I did read that they're around. But since I've only downloaded a few things I haven't been too paranoid about it.

I tried the Nokia Suite when I first got my phone, thinking I needed it, and it erased all of the content on my memory card. So I'm quite gratefull that I can do everything from my Macs, even install the phone's software. Apple's iSync and bluetooth software really put Nokia's vomit to shame.

If I find some good apps that are free, I'll post.

<]=)

Old 01-05-2007, 06:14 AM   #8
Pdaman
Retired pda user

Thanks for great response! Though now I'm just jealous as you got one from the N series and I got one from old ages lol =D .. okay okay... Even example your phone is quite good technically (and why good in away too?) I really like the nokia 7270 look I really like the idea of these "open the fold" kinda phones, you know (Sorry my english is lacking again). Anyway nokia 7270 is really good looking and It really does look good next to my my group of devices like fujifilm camera, sony th55 and then this nokia 7270. I also like the way you can put cloths on the nokia 7270 Then it just feels quite nice soft phone. And for technical. I aren't big fan of bluetooth so that isn't problem too as my th55 doesn't have it either. But as you mentioned battery life, my phone's lasts about 2-4 days with my small use. My th55 runs out something like twice in that time when my phone is still active and doesn't need charge =D heh! Example, I played last night 2,5 hours of monopoly =D

Btw, if someone didn't know, this was my first phone eerrr...
Old 01-06-2007, 05:01 AM   #9
JackAxe
Barbarian Artist

Sorry, I ramble allot.

BT eats batterly life, that's one of its downfalls. But BT 2.0 is at least more efficient. I'm glad I have it, it's convenient and really makes the whole headset thing work.

I like flip phones also, tis another reason I had to get a headset for this candy bar style, because it's not as comfortable to hold to my ear as my old Samsung.

It's 2007 and this is your first phone.

<]=)

Old 01-06-2007, 05:31 AM   #10
Pdaman
Retired pda user

Well it is 2007 or 2008? Oh, I checked from computer, it is 2007 lol, okay okay... Thing is just that I haven't ever just been fan of phones and my pdas has been very long a lot better for almost anything Also, I don't like contact people using text and text. That is why I get bored to IM quite fast. It is really just way fun and nice to see people live.

But, you can't guess what! As it is 2007 I got my secong phone yeasterday It is not that I didn't like my 7270 but my mother needed new phone so she bought one and it was quite awesome so I couldn't resist it and then, I did trade it with her Oh, and it has some nice specs.

Better sides compared to 7270:
MiniSD slot (small plus)
Bluetooth 2.0 (tiny plus)
1.3mpx camera (big plus!)
Screen supports 267 000 colors and it is clearer (small plus)
Battery life should be little better (big plus!)
Lighter (small plus)

Bad sides compared to my new:
It doesn't fit so well to my hand (tiny minus)
Buttons are too close: it is little bit difficult to write text on it (small minus)
Screen is little smaller (big minus!)
It is also running on symbian os (bad minus!) (even wm would be better)

Though as I traded it seems that I have to wait few days that my operator comes actived or something like that. Because I can't call certain people like to girlfriend yet. It was same thing when I got 7270. Then my girlfriend couldn't call but after few days it did work, odd huh? Though as I'm quite new in this area should I contact to operator that I changeg phone or what? I did just move my sim card to this new one.

Last edited by Pdaman : 01-06-2007 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:34 AM   #11
JackAxe
Barbarian Artist

Very cool.

My buttons are tiny also, I've gotten used to them, but that's it. They suck for playing phone games, well phone gaming sucks.

Symian OS is great. I personally can't stand WM. It's just getting an abundance of apps that are free is what sucks. But at least the OS is very customizable.

Symbian to me, feels like a cross between Palm and WM. It seems to have the best of both. Its learning curve was very slight when compare to my PPC and it's definately way more stable.

<]=)

Old 02-04-2007, 05:58 PM   #12
zackepceo
nothing to hide

Send a message via AIM to zackepceo Send a message via MSN to zackepceo Send a message via Yahoo to zackepceo
I had almost the exact opposite experience with my N80. It has S60 3rd edition, so none of the old programs work on it. I couldn't find any software compatable with it except for java programs which were often buggy. Actually, the whole phone was buggy and it crashed 2 or 3 times in the 3-4 days I used it. It is very featureful, just not as customisable as a PDA OS. I was so sick of it that I went to a Verizon store in the middle of a trip to port my number from T-Mobile and get a Treo.
I'm buying a Samsung i760 when it comes out.

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism."
zackepceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:38 PM   #13
traderonline

Symbian OS comes with loads of softwares build in. It is pretty hard to find additional utilities other than virus scanners etc.
traderonline is offline   Reply With Quote