Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Sony > Clie NX-series
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
kcirbmab

How does the NX line hold up today?

Sorry if that's a bit of a broad question. I'm just curious.
kcirbmab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
dragonsgames
I'm stuck on the source

Hold up? What do you mean? How does it compare?
Sony Clie N760c -> Sony Clie TG-50 -> Treo 600 -> Sony Clie NX80, Fossil wrist PDA-> Sony Clie UX50 -> Sony CLIE VZ90 -> TG50, iPod 5.5 Gen -> Sony CLIE UX50, Sony PEGA-EB40 -> Sony CLIE PEG-TH55/E1, Samsung A900 (Blade) -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pre -> HTC Hero, Apple MacBook -> HTC Evo ->Nexus S 4G, Apple MacBook Pro

I like iSpin, it's my favorite launcher!!
I am the 2nd top 1src poster!!
dragonsgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
kcirbmab

Yeah. Is it outdated by now and obsolete or is it still a good choice? I'm wondering if I should upgrade. I don't really know what's out there that could be significantly better.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #4
Pdaman
Retired pda user

Oh, just get iPhone..................................
Sony Clie Th55 = Simple as that, the the best pda what I have ever owned! However even it didn't keep me in the Pda world. About my gadgets, I'm now just using my psp, camera and cellphone. Maybe I will someday get a new pda, but it must to have phone cababilities so I don't need to use my regular cellphone anymore. And yeah, this means I won't be hanging in here 1src that much anymore. If someone want me to remove unfinished threads from 1src or something just pm me. Keep your gadgets running!
Pdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #5
kcirbmab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdaman
Oh, just get iPhone..................................

I'll probably get one some time next year when the price goes way down.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
radon_22

You can pick up an NX60 for about $80 on Ebay if you shop around. It's not a T5 or a LifeDrive, but for the price... I still use mine daily.
radon_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:07 PM   #7
intellidryad
Clie lover

To me, it all comes down to memory.

When I was using my NX73, I've only got like 13MB of memory on board. After all the launchers, CF card hacks and much more software, I found my self loading tons of apps on my MS card, and frequently waiting the long waits for the apps to load from the card. I tolerated that, until the MS slot started short circuiting (maybe because I dropped it too often...) Also, only having 1~2MB of empty memory, means frequent crashes in Picsel viewer and NetFront (I use the WIFI card, too).

So, I then switched to my TH55, which I bought right after Sony discontinued it (Got the last one in stock of the store I went to ). This time, I have so much memory that I just use as I please. And so snapier experience and almost no crashes. I do miss the keyboard ,the fast CPU, the remote and much more, but as my NX73 is half dead, I'm happy to have a TH55, which is surprisingly stable.

If you don't use up your memory, then you are just fine with your NX
intellidryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:49 AM   #8
kcirbmab

Alright, thanks. If I get the NX80, I should have enough room to move everything over from my MS staight onto the RAM and have a few megs left over; right now I only have 2 megs free and don't get any crashes, probably because I don't use any of the cache-intensive programs.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:17 AM   #9
Pdaman
Retired pda user

Btw, my four post on this thread was joke... kinda =D... Anyway I might get NX80 rather than iPhone, because it is definitely a great pda. However as NX80 is still quite odd model I would buy it, if it just were super cheap compared to iPhone. NX80 is just maybe too outdated nowdays and that annoys me. Anyway other specs like screen, camera, dual slots and design are all still is very great. And processor is also fast for almost every user. Of course there is way to under or overclock it. But lacking on wlan and bluetooth, ouch! So it will also come close that I wouldn't buy it. I just think that isn't nowdays so cool buy so old stuff. I like to get new technoloy as soon it appears on the stores so I don't feel like stuped.. Technology runs very fast and old devices will leave on it legs without any mercy....
Sony Clie Th55 = Simple as that, the the best pda what I have ever owned! However even it didn't keep me in the Pda world. About my gadgets, I'm now just using my psp, camera and cellphone. Maybe I will someday get a new pda, but it must to have phone cababilities so I don't need to use my regular cellphone anymore. And yeah, this means I won't be hanging in here 1src that much anymore. If someone want me to remove unfinished threads from 1src or something just pm me. Keep your gadgets running!

Last edited by Pdaman : 01-13-2007 at 02:25 AM.
Pdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 02:25 AM   #10
kcirbmab

Yeah, I'll probably get the 80, I found one for $160 after shipping, which isn't too bad. The only thing I wish the NX80 had was some built-in 8gb flash memory.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:12 PM   #11
totololo

Hahaha, it's a good wish ... and maybe a better screen (colors are not so good).
If you are lucky enough to find Jackflash and register it, you may get some precious Mo in Flash ROM to store some programs ...

In a Japanese NX80V i got 5 megs, and 11 megs on a european NX73V
totololo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:56 AM   #12
GodOwnsAnNX80

I only recently retired my NX-80 to get a smaller device. Other than that I think it's a fantastic PDA still.
GodOwnsAnNX80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 03:13 PM   #13
mmulhern

NX70 still my preferred PDA

I have always kept an eye on the PDA world, and I still can't find a new PDA that I'd swap over to. The NX70 with CF and MS slot means that I still have expansion capability as I "only" have a 4GB CF and 1GB MS, and the price on a 4GB MS is looking tempting. the AudioPlayer app is OK to have a bit of music around, and TCPMP is a great video player.

I agree regarding JackFlash, it allows me to move TCPMP (and plugins), most of Docs2Go, and a selection of other small apps.

PowerRUN allows me to move apps that I'm not concerned about startup speed to be moved on to the MS.

The combination of JackFlash and PowerRUN means that I'm able to maintain about 4MB of "free" memory.

And the screen, 480x320 - only in recent time have other PDAs met or exceeded this size/resolution, and realistically, I'm looking at keeping my Clie into 2008 when it will be over 6 years old - positively ancient for a computing device.

Mind you, that iPhone from Apple is looking interesting, but as it won't be down under until 2008, just maybe. . . I wonder . . . . mmmmm?
Old 01-15-2007, 03:54 PM   #14
totololo

Hahah, i think you are right to keep it anyway, I have a NX80V, better machine, but i still miss the style of the 70V.

If you don't want to pay for powerrun, you can use MSMOUNT, freeware, for the same usage.
totololo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:17 PM   #15
mmulhern

Actually, I had actually looked at upgrading to a "less old" Clie, so that my current NX73 would become a backup/spare. But as much as I liked some of the last Clie models, the ability to max out to 8GB (2x4GB) of immediately accessible storage is just too convenient to "upgrade" from.