Okay, so one of the reasons not to use Opera Mini on a Palm is the huge footprint of the Java stuff that needs to be installed. I seem to have found a remedy!
Good ol' MSMount5
saves the day! MSMount is a freeware program developed by one of those whacky but brilliant Japanese hobby-programmers, originally meant for PalmOS Sony Clie's but sometimes work on current Palms as well! It lets you put some
specific files on the expansion card and let it be treated like they are installed in RAM.
It seems that it works for the required Java files to run Opera Mini.
- J9 MIDP Bundle.prc (~700 KB)
- J9 Java VM.prc (~800 KB)
It saves a whopping 1570 KB
0) Install Java and Opera Mini as described in the instructions, make sure everything works
1) Download and hotsync MSMount5
to your Palm
2) Use Filez or another filemanager to move
the two Java files from RAM to /Palm/Programs/MsMount. Check that they're not residing in RAM anymore.
3) Enable MSMount5
in Prefs >> Other , confirm that it displays "Mounted DB's: 2"
4) Start Opera Mini on the Palm and enjoy.
- Unfortunately, it seems that the .prc file of Opera Mini itself has to stay in the RAM.
- You cannot access Prefs >> Other >> IBM Java IM anymore, so please make sure you made the correct settings in RAM before mounting the Java files with MSMount5.
Please report any suggestions or bugs of the instructions above.