Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Palm > T|X-Series
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2006, 11:15 AM   #31
ovocko

As some before me, I confirm that TTN 6 works with TX.
Second thing is that it is working with some of TTN 5 maps (those which was in verson v6xx), despite of some rumours that it will not.
It is a bit slowly on my TX, much slower than TTN 5 was. I use some small regional maps (c.a. 50MB and c.a. 200MB) and it is working very good, but when I installed bigger region (400MB or more) the spead of this application decreased significantly.
It also showing the "clear db cache" information, I think much more often than TTN5 was. Flushing db Cache with MemInfo not resolves the problem (I think that the larges chunk size does matter), Now I will try the dbcache tool
For me the main difference between TTN5 and 6 is in the maps (TTN 5 had 23% coverage of my country, TTN 6 has about 34%), surprisingly, I've got information from TomTom that there will be no upgrade from 5 to 6, but the maps will be developed simultanelously for both versions. I don't understand why they are going that way?
The rest of changes seems to be minor - speed limits information (the current speed is flashing red if you are over the limit for road you are going), deserverd arrival time (but works only with "navigate to", option, when I prefer if it worked with route planning), better design, etc.

So, we will se... maybe some upgrade will resolve the working speed problem (now on 400MB map the cursor looks as if it make a "frog jumps")
And I still wait when they release Eastern and South-Eastern Europe maps.
ovocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:18 AM   #32
evewes

Does TT6 support planning on PC and transfer route to TX?
Are there possibility to put in cordinates to a destination?
Non of these exists in TT5.21.

Last edited by evewes : 11-03-2006 at 03:57 AM.
evewes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:44 AM   #33
ovocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by evewes
Does TT6 support planning on PC and transfer route to TX?
Are there possibility to put in cordinates to a destination?
Non of these exists in TT5.21.

Coordinates - YES
Planning on a PC - AFAIK no, maybe TT Home application gives that possibility. Maybe there is possibility to plan route via google maps and then convert it to TomTom format as "route plan", but I didn't test that possibility.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:31 AM   #34
finbogg

Question Installing TomTom 6 from DVD

Installing TomTom Navigator 6 from DVD onto Palm TX device.
(for windows XP).

Having searched the various SatNav forums, I didnt see anyone who had installed TomTom onto a Palm in this manner . So having gone through the pain of figuring out how it works, including the moments of madness when I considered chucking the damn thing in the bin and getting a pocket-pc , I thought Id share this with others in the same boat.

hope you find this useful.

Step 1.
After inserting the DVD into your drive, you will see the following in explorer:
On the DVD in the app directory you will find the file ttn.palm_6.010.cab, which you need to open and extract the contents to your hard drive the exact location Ill leave up to you but I created a \TomTom\.. directory and extracted the installer to an ..\install sub-directory for this process.

Repeat this process for the raster, voices and zip directories for voices you only need extract those in your language of choice. Licences are text files and can be copied straight across.

Step 2.
This is where it took some trial and error, before I got anywhere. The maps are stored in .CAB files, which when opened contain files with extensions like .001. What you can see are the map files, but they have to be renamed in order to be able to use them . Also, the maps can be split across multiple .CAB files, so you need to make sure you extract them all for the map set you are interested in.

e.g. I extracted the files for GB plus major roads WE. The resulting files I then renamed. So I can hear you thinking, how do I know what to call the files? Fortunately, for most files you simply replace the extension from .xxx to .dat, the others like the .mpr and .pna actually contain the file name as a text string if you open them with notepad. This leaves one more file, which is the .mid which contains a string something like ɩɁ"qs*һXn6 'od

Step 3.
Copy the files from your PC to your SD card 256MB+ for GB plus maps, 1GB+ for Western Europe. You can use wi-fi, Bluetooth or USB whatever youre used to. I used Palm File Browser over USB, its slower than wi-fi but more reliable and can be done through a cradle, so you can leave it to transfer the larger files while you do something else.
Note: the map files are stored in a directory off the root of the SD card, with the same name as the map set.

Step 4.
Install the navstart.prc to the Palm in the usual manner

Step 6.
Start the Navigator application, do all the setup as per the on-screen instructions and away you go . Youll need your activation code, which you will be instructed how to get by the setup.

FB.
finbogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 02:32 AM   #35
finbogg

Installing TomTom Navigator 6 from DVD onto Palm TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbogg
Step 3.
Copy the files from your PC to your SD card 256MB+ for GB plus maps, 1GB+ for Western Europe. You can use wi-fi, Bluetooth or USB whatever youre used to. I used Palm File Browser over USB, its slower than wi-fi but more reliable and can be done through a cradle, so you can leave it to transfer the larger files while you do something else.
Note: the map files are stored in a directory off the root of the SD card, with the same name as the map set.

Forgot to add the need to copy the data.chk & munich.bin files into \TomTom on the SD.

FB
finbogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:39 AM   #36
sethb

Thumbs up

finbogg, thanks very much for the advice. It made TT6 usable on my TX.

I found an easier way for part of the process, for a computer that can read and write SD cards directly. (These steps might not all be necessary, it's what I remember doing.)

1. Copy data.chk and munich.bin into \TomTom on the SD card.

2. Install navstart.prc and navigator.prc on the TX.

3. Put the SD card in the TX and run navigator.

4. Put the SD card back in the computer; the TomTom install program will now recognize it as a TomTom device, and you can use that to install maps, voices, etc. You don't have to go through all the .cab splitting, renaming, etc. by hand.

Registering it was a little annoying; not sure if that was just because their servers weren't responding at that moment, but following their instructions eventually worked.
sethb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:34 AM   #37
racerblur

Has anyone tested TomTom 6 on the T5?

Ok, I don't wanna be the first to Try TomTom 6 on the T5 (find out all the bugs, especially if I have to pay 150 for it)-- If it's too much of a big deal... I might try EMTAC Navigation (has anyone tried this? How does it compare to TomTom?) I called TomTom support and they told me the new maps would work with TomTom 5 (but they don't, at least according to their own website) and support also told me that it might be possible in the future for more testing to be done/bug fixes that version 6 might support most of the 'other' palms... but they weren't sure... It's a shame because I really like TomTom -- And my T5 isn't all that old. I am surprised there's no support. I don't want a 650 or 700 -- I like my T5.
racerblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:56 PM   #38
ovocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerblur
Ok, I don't wanna be the first to Try TomTom 6 on the T5

If TTN 6 is working on T|X, I am quite sure that it will work with T|5.

According to maps, till end of december registered TomTom users have had option to upgrade maps with 20% discount, and offer was the same for TTN5 and TTN 6 users. It means that there is option to get new maps for TTN 5 - but I don't know if offer is still available.

The link to maps is here:

http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/select.php

On the right side of above page there is small window where you can put your product number to check if you should upgrade maps or not.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:44 PM   #39
docinthebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovocko
If TTN 6 is working on T|X, I am quite sure that it will work with T|5.

According to maps, till end of december registered TomTom users have had option to upgrade maps with 20% discount, and offer was the same for TTN5 and TTN 6 users. It means that there is option to get new maps for TTN 5 - but I don't know if offer is still available.

The link to maps is here:

http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/select.php

On the right side of above page there is small window where you can put your product number to check if you should upgrade maps or not.

I checked my product number and it showed that a map update is available for $50. Does that include the TT6 software?

Edit: I think it does. From their press release:

Further, when a consumer installs a new map, the latest version of the TomTom application will automatically be downloaded to the device.

Last edited by docinthebox : 01-01-2007 at 08:03 PM.
docinthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:03 PM   #40
docinthebox

Pricing and Availability:

Free (plus shipping and handling) for TomTom GO 910, GO 510, TomTom ONE and TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 with validated serial number/product code until March 31, 2007.
$49.95 for TomTom GO 300, GO 700, TomTom RIDER and TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 customers until March 31, 2007.
$149.95 for all products after the promotional period ends on March 31, 2007.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:18 PM   #41
docinthebox

Question
Why is my device not compatible with NAVIGATOR 6, even though it was compatible with NAVIGATOR 5?

Answer
TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 includes a number of new features that greatly improve the product.
Unfortunately, these features require more memory and processing power when compared to NAVIGATOR 5.

In addition, TomTom now offers many new maps, which are larger and more detailed than the older maps. These maps also require more memory and processing power in the device.

I guess it's still not clear to me why TT decides for TT6 to support Treo 650 but not TX. Don't they use the same CPU (Intel PXA270 @ 312MHz), have the same amount of SDRAM, but the TX has more on board flash (128MB) than the Treo 650 (32MB), and the TX screen resolution is 320x480 with 16-bit colors vs the Treo 650 with 320x320 16-bit? Also, the TX uses Palm OS 5.4.9, while the Treo 650 uses Palm OS 5.4.8. If the TX is more powerful both in hardware and software, I don't know why it would not support a software that the Treo 650 supports.

Last edited by docinthebox : 01-01-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:36 AM   #42
ovocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by docinthebox
I checked my product number and it showed that a map update is available for $50. Does that include the TT6 software?

Edit: I think it does.

Yes, but they are informing that upgrade to TT6 is only for supported devices. If your device is not on list, you will receive maps for TTN 5 (?)
Old 01-02-2007, 12:46 AM   #43
ovocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by docinthebox
I guess it's still not clear to me why TT decides for TT6 to support Treo 650 but not TX. Don't they use the same CPU (Intel PXA270 @ 312MHz), have the same amount of SDRAM, but the TX has more on board flash (128MB) than the Treo 650 (32MB), and the TX screen resolution is 320x480 with 16-bit colors vs the Treo 650 with 320x320 16-bit? Also, the TX uses Palm OS 5.4.9, while the Treo 650 uses Palm OS 5.4.8. If the TX is more powerful both in hardware and software, I don't know why it would not support a software that the Treo 650 supports.

Maybe this is because of keyboard in Treos, which T|X don't have.
I use TTN 6 for about three months and I found that some options are a little difficult to access if you don't have keaboard.
In example if you want to navigate to address from Palm addressbook, TT is showing contact list just with arrows to scroll. You can find specific contact putting its data but to do this, first you must open virtual graffiti area and write first letters of contact you are looking for. This is quite inconvenient. On Treo, you have keaboard and whole operation is much simplier.
Second thing is that T|X has 320x420 screen and Treo just 320x320. I found that TTN 6 is slower on my T|X than TTN 5 was. Smaller screen size in Treo takes less processor power so TTN 6 should be faster.
But of course there is no tragedy - on my T|X TTN 6 is still fast enough to operate. On the other hand, I use rather smaller maps - from about 200MB to 450MB. I don't know how will be TTN 6 speed with larger maps, i.e. Western Europe which is 950 MB big.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:44 AM   #44
racerblur

If the screen size is a speed issue -- if you leave the virtual graffiti area up, does that speed up the screen redraws? I know of course your map size is now smaller, but if it helps speed if might be worth it. I'm seriously considering getting the upgrade - damn if emtac offered tomtom users a discount -- I'd be all over that. Although $129 isn't that bad. I've read some really good review of Emtac Navigator versus TomTom

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=12667

From the website:

"Summary

All three of these applications worked, and should be adequate for most people.

At this time my recommendation would be Emtac. It was very reliable and accurate, and the ability to route across maps, and the better audio and visual experience was the winner for me. The 3D view with zoom was very easy to read, and the options for routing were very comprehensive.

TomTom is very good, but I believe its developers need to address the routing across map files situation. The weather and traffic are nice, but I often had a hard time connecting to get updates.

Mapopolis is in third place here, but not by much. It is cheaper, and had the smallest memory footprint of the three. It also routes across maps. Mapopolis needs to work on the interface, the GPS connection, and the sound quality of the voices.

TomTom Navigator 5
The good: Mature product, very stable and well thought out. The extras are very nice. And I loved the ability to use John Cleeses voice! Options for traffic and weather updates.
The Bad: Can only route on currently loaded map file.. Technical Support can be very slow to respond. Most costly of the three.
$149.99 (Software only) $249.99 with Bluetooth Module www.tomtom.com

Mapopolis Nav Card
The Good: Low memory requirements, very fast load times, least expensive
The Bad: No 3D option, voice very mechanical, no finger data entry option
$119.99(Software only) $189.99 with Bluetooth Module www.mapopolis.com

Emtac Navigator 3
The Good: 3D and zoom are very well designed. The zoom is very smooth. Visual indicator of multiple turns coming. Clear voice prompts. Launch screen
The Bad: Cell phone type typing interface may be hard to get accustomed to.
$129.99 (Software only) $199.99 with Bluetooth Module www.emtac.com"

Anyhow have any experience with Emtac Navigator?
racerblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:36 PM   #45
nhw3w

Has anyone tried overclocking the application to improve performance?
nhw3w is offline   Reply With Quote