Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Topic Specific > Off-Topic > OT: PCs/Laptops
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2006, 05:53 PM   #1
veritech
Coder in training

How Good is the Macbook compared to pc competition?

I'm i right in thinking that the macbook is the only "pc"

with dvi out(even if it is via a dongle)
dual core cpu
16:9 screen under 15.4"
wifi and bluetooth
with good battery life
under a $1000/800

Higher Haks My University Hacks and tips Blog, Helping you hack your way to a degree, one DoS at a time

Digg-Mobile
Checkout the latest digg stories on your Palm Device, Netfront and Blazer friendly, and there are no ads!
veritech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:27 PM   #2
Joel
1src Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to Joel Send a message via AIM to Joel Send a message via MSN to Joel Send a message via Yahoo to Joel
It never hurts to try it... then return it if it does not meet your needs. I've heard extreme stories of people "just" buying the MacBook for the form factor and running exclusively XP with it.

Always remember that computer (and gadget) needs are heavily subjective. So go with what you feel... and let us know about what eventually your choice will be.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:03 PM   #3
minimalposter

Send a message via AIM to minimalposter Send a message via Yahoo to minimalposter
And read Switchblog!

I recently switched (January) and will never leave Mac again ... well unless something better is around
minimalposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:44 AM   #4
Joel
1src Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to Joel Send a message via AIM to Joel Send a message via MSN to Joel Send a message via Yahoo to Joel
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimalposter
And read Switchblog!

I recently switched (January) and will never leave Mac again ... well unless something better is around

Thanks for the mention I've been busy the past few weeks but I'm trying my best to post a bit more stuff that I find interesting.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:51 PM   #5
daver
The Nutty 'Nuckie

Send a message via MSN to daver Send a message via Yahoo to daver
Macs and PCs are completely different creatures altogether... so it's hard to directly "compare" them...

I AM CANADIAN!
Canuck PDA (http://canuck-pda.ca)

Back of left hand - Left arm - Paper & pen - broken Palm IIIxe - SJ20 - TJ37 - iPaq 1940 (broken digitizer) - TH55 - Treo 700p
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:12 PM   #6
veritech
Coder in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver
Macs and PCs are completely different creatures altogether... so it's hard to directly "compare" them...

how did you come to that conclusion, they are both x86(well they are now) machines capable of running windows. The only difference is that macs ship with a different os.

All i really want is a unix environment to learn about software development, and nice easy access to a terminal. I like the design and finish of the mac book, along with the size. The mac os x is bonus, not the selling point for me.

Higher Haks My University Hacks and tips Blog, Helping you hack your way to a degree, one DoS at a time

Digg-Mobile
Checkout the latest digg stories on your Palm Device, Netfront and Blazer friendly, and there are no ads!
Old 07-15-2006, 04:38 PM   #7
daver
The Nutty 'Nuckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritech
how did you come to that conclusion, they are both x86(well they are now) machines capable of running windows. The only difference is that macs ship with a different os.

All i really want is a unix environment to learn about software development, and nice easy access to a terminal. I like the design and finish of the mac book, along with the size. The mac os x is bonus, not the selling point for me.

Macs are designed to run Mac OS (i dunno what versions and stuff), while PCs aren't specifically designed to run any OS (but obviously Windows is the OS of choice). plus, Macs are better for multimedia out of the box (iLife anybody? and if i'm right, i'd say in at least 75% of cases) while PCs are built mostly for just getting things done (PCs don't have an iLife style suite because the majority of PC users away from offices are just home e-mail checkers and video game players).

i would say that a Mac is more like a designer computer, while a PC is just a generic computer. it's how they're marketed and how they're designed that makes them different from each other. also, their evolution from day one until now clearly shows that they're different. look at how many different designs Apple has put out in the past 20 years.

but if you like the Mac, and since it is Unix (Mac OS is Unix, is it not?) it'll fit your needs fine. i just think that it's safer to go with a cheap PC to kind of trial software dev before going and further. a lot of people go nuts first, give up whatever they're doing, then look back and go "son of a gun, i don't need this anymore"

I AM CANADIAN!

Back of left hand - Left arm - Paper & pen - broken Palm IIIxe - SJ20 - TJ37 - iPaq 1940 (broken digitizer) - TH55 - Treo 700p
Old 07-15-2006, 04:56 PM   #8
bh77a

@ daver,

You are correct, the Mac OS X is UNIX with a GUI (very nice one at that).

@ veritech,

There are many things that make the Mac stand above most PC's, and the main one of those is Mac OS X itself. Rock solid stable, and on, and on................................................ .....and on!

Personally I have an iMac, two iBooks (work) and a PC that quickly was relieved of Windows by Fedora Core 5 (Linux). Couldn't be happier... well unless I had a MacBook.

CLIE TJ27, Tungsten E(1), TX, CLIE TH55/U
bh77a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:12 PM   #9
dragonsgames
I'm stuck on the source

MacBooks look awesome. They are better looking than most PC laptops (thinner, simpler), faster (because of Mac OS X), easier to use (because of Mac OS X). If I had the money, I would go out and buy one right now!
Sony Clie N760c -> Sony Clie TG-50 -> Treo 600 -> Sony Clie NX80, Fossil wrist PDA-> Sony Clie UX50 -> Sony CLIE VZ90 -> TG50, iPod 5.5 Gen -> Sony CLIE UX50, Sony PEGA-EB40 -> Sony CLIE PEG-TH55/E1, Samsung A900 (Blade) -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pre -> HTC Hero, Apple MacBook -> HTC Evo ->Nexus S 4G, Apple MacBook Pro

I like iSpin, it's my favorite launcher!!
I am the 2nd top 1src poster!!
dragonsgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:19 PM   #10
daver
The Nutty 'Nuckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh77a
@ daver,

Personally I have an iMac, two iBooks (work) and a PC that quickly was relieved of Windows by Fedora Core 5 (Linux). Couldn't be happier... well unless I had a MacBook.

but likewise, there are many things that make the PC stand above Macs. unlike most people of this world, i'm not a fanboy of any operating system (OK, maybe Palm OS, but that's different). i think that all hardware and software have their strengths and weaknesses... no one is better than the others, just different.
but if i came out sounding like a Windows defender, then i take back my original comment. i just thought it's not fair to directly compare different types of computers (Macs and PCS) as if they were similar models, for example comparing iBooks to Macbooks... (sorry guys, i really don't know my Macs, but i tried)

i think that the Macs are great computers, and that the Mac OSX would be a good SW dev environment as well. but i just think that the price tag is a bit too hefty if you're somewhat reserved in thinking that you really want to dive into SW dev. maybe that's just me though; the more cautious type

Quote:
Rock solid stable
you know, Windows can just be as rock solid as Linux (woohoo, go linux!).... as long as you don't install anything or even *touch* the computer! i think one time i sneezed and my computer hung. coincidence or bad luck? lol
the Windows logo should have 2 quadrants with broken glass for all the crashes and then the other 2 quadrants iced over for all the program freezes/hangs, lol!

I AM CANADIAN!

Old 07-15-2006, 05:21 PM   #11
daver
The Nutty 'Nuckie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsgames
MacBooks look awesome. They are better looking than most PC laptops (thinner, simpler), faster (because of Mac OS X), easier to use (because of Mac OS X). If I had the money, I would go out and buy one right now!

see, one thing i don't understand is how does the look of a computer make it "better" than a different computer? just because it is a different colour, or has rounded edges doesn't make it perform faster or necessarily have better or worse hardware.

they're just different.

I AM CANADIAN!

Old 07-15-2006, 05:40 PM   #12
Joel
1src Co-Founder

Just a reminder:

All Intel-based Macs can run Windows XP via Boot Camp as a dual boot setup. Meanwhile, Parallels Desktop lets Windows, Linux, or any other OS run from within OS X.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:31 AM   #13
egadgetguy
Gadget Guy Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to egadgetguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bh77a
@ daver,

@ veritech,

There are many things that make the Mac stand above most PC's, and the main one of those is Mac OS X itself. Rock solid stable, and on, and on................................................ .....and on!

Sooo... If MACs are so great, Why did they have to switch to Unix OS, Intel Chipsets, and be able to run windows???

I Use about a dozen or so PCs daily for different tasks. 7 are streaming capture boxes using windows media.I go weeks without rebooting any number of them because they are so stable, I don't need to. Most of them are newer then two years, but a couple are up to 4 years old.

I also use two different G5s that are two years old. They are identical configurations. The one I have had to use the most is unstable. I have had some kind of crash almost ever time I have used it. Sometimes its IE that crashes, Final Cut Pro, the ONLY reason we even HAVE the MACs, crashes EVER TIME.
See, I edit video, I currently use Premiere Pro or AVID. ON the PC I am using PP, it is stable and may have a hiccup causing me to have to restart the app once every 30 hours of use. Re-booting is usually only needed 5% of these times.
The MAC usinf FCP... well, I didn't buy it for me, but the few times I have tried to use FCP it has crashed within 10 minutes. I have NEVER successfully edited the smallest project on it. Rebooting is mandatory when it crashes. Also, FCP loses everything I did 100% of the time because I never can get to where I can save anything. PP autosaves backups and recovery is usually a matter of redoing the last five minutes or less of work.
Ask me about my other gadgets!
egadgetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:33 AM   #14
dragonsgames
I'm stuck on the source

Very strange. I don't know why that is happening to you, but I have never heard of that happening.
Sony Clie N760c -> Sony Clie TG-50 -> Treo 600 -> Sony Clie NX80, Fossil wrist PDA-> Sony Clie UX50 -> Sony CLIE VZ90 -> TG50, iPod 5.5 Gen -> Sony CLIE UX50, Sony PEGA-EB40 -> Sony CLIE PEG-TH55/E1, Samsung A900 (Blade) -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pre -> HTC Hero, Apple MacBook -> HTC Evo ->Nexus S 4G, Apple MacBook Pro

I like iSpin, it's my favorite launcher!!
I am the 2nd top 1src poster!!
dragonsgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:42 PM   #15
veritech
Coder in training

Another question, is it worth waiting the months for the 64 bit chips, i say months as i would think that apple will put the core2 mobile chips in the Mac book pros and leave the mac books till last.

I want the macbook for when i start university in september, i don't need it, but it would be nice to have.

As i said Mac OSx is just a plus, in my mind i'm just buying a computer, there is a possiblity that i'll wipe it the second i get it, and install ubuntu and xgl+compiz and goto town. I doubt i'll do that, but i might, i only use windows to work with IDE's and such, and i run it in VMware on ubuntu linux.
So don't try and get me back, windows lovers, windows(XP) is good, but a unix(a debian based distro at least) system is a very powerful beast. All the compilers built in, apt-get, fancy GUI, and completely free.

Digg-Mobile