Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
  NEWS
  Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
  FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
  Games
  Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
  Audio/Video
  Cellphones
  Digital Cameras
  Gaming
  Gadgets & Gizmos
  Non-Palm OS PDAs
  PCs/Laptops
  Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
  FREEWARE
  Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
  ABOUT US
  Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
  LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices: 

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Palm > T|X-Series
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2006, 01:47 PM   #106
matcat

Well looking at this thread, I would say the best path would be to go with the most streamlined rom possible, removing absolutely everything except what is essential to the use of the palm, and of course then everyone could add exactly what they like. Personally I like and use D2G, Blazer, and VersaMail, but all of those could be added on as each individual see's fit for their personal uses, as well as everything else such as netfront and udmh, etc etc. Though at this moment I see no reason to put this new rom on my PDA, it's running quite smooth as it is at the moment (Though the WPA update is inticing), but at the same time I don't need it. Hey Dimtyr, what about modifieing the ROM that when it crashes it shows an error message instead of just going straight into a soft reset? That alone would make me want to install it though. Just my thoughts on it.
matcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:50 PM   #107
gbil

First of all I would like to thank Dmitry. Another great job, cheers mate.

The results from the upgrade on my TX are great. Now drive mode works fine, netfront is ok and backup with RBackup worked perfect.

Reading the thread I see many people asking for different programs, this of course can't happen, even though I also have a list with favorite apps

I think the new ROM at the moment is as generic as it should be. For example I want Blazer and Versamail. The key here I believe is to remove apps that do nothing, as Dmitry did already with Addit and just add some hacks/useful programs that are free.
gbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:37 PM   #108
ovocko

One thing that is important:

The custom rom does not change DBcache ammount. I read some information about making custom rom for Treo - just for freeing memory for DBcache.
On T|X, total ammount of DBcache is still 13119KB (as MemoryInfo says).
Some differences are in free DBcache, on my device, after flushing it by MemoryInfo it is:
- 12393KB - with Custom ROM
- 11494KB - without Custom ROM (after WiFi enterprise update)
- 11954KB - without Custom ROM and with UnCache enabled

But, there is a question, if it is worth to change ROM just for few KB?

Applications that stay after hard reset for me are not enough - I always have SD Card inserted in Palm (I use navigation software, so I need much storage memory for maps), and backup with a copy of resco explorer on card is not a problem for me.

So now I stay with Palm Enterprise Update (for possible warranty reasons), But If if Custom Rom would make more space for DBcache, I could install it.

My dream set of application is as follows:
Original ROM -

Without:
- QuickTour
- Addit
- Expenses
- Solitaire (Can be, if removing will make more space, can be not)
- Media and PocketTunes (hardly ever use them, esp. PTunes)

With:
+ NetFront (as alternative for Blazer, but I like Blazer to stay)
+ DriveMode (but, the best way would be something like CardReader, which can be used in background mode)
+ VoiceMemo (why not, but at the present I don't have any mic)

The rest of software I would like to see is unfortunately paid (unCache, RescoExplorer, PiLoc - essential for me, etc.)
ovocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:33 PM   #109
LarryX

OT: Netfront crashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavla
He already made an installer a while ago, this installs netfront 3.1 on your device: http://www.palmpowerups.com/priv/netfrontInstaller.zip

This is a bit off topic. I am not installing the TX2. But I did install the NF installer a while ago. However, as soon as I tap on the NF icon, my TX crashes. The first time I did that, I simply deleted all NF*.* files, rebooted and reinstalled. It worked fine. But it happened again. This time, the deletions and reinstallation did not eliminate the reset. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening.

LarryX
LarryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:55 PM   #110
JAmerican
Why Does Palm Disappoint?

Amoon, the TX2 rom has the TH(older version) of NF on it but MaxX allows you to use any version of NF. So I have the VZ version on mine since I like and use carriage returns

JAmerican

Handspring Treo 90 --> Royal RG135nx --> T-Mobile Sidekick --> T-Mobile Sidekick Color --> PEG-UX40 -- > PEG-UX50--> Samsung T629 (Returned) -- > Palm TX (SOLD)/T-Mobile Sony Ericsson T610(Defective) --> T-Mobile Dash(Broken Screen) --> ASUS EEE 1000H Black/Treo 800w/PEG-VZ90

Accesories: Transcend 16GB SDHC | 8GB Transcend microSD
JAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:11 PM   #111
r0k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavla
O come on, as if Palm is coming to your house to check whether you own a clié...

That never was the issue for me. I would have no problem "borrowing" netfront to see if it is better than blazer. But if I ended up liking it, I should be offered a legal option for keeping it on my TX without resorting to buying a used clie off ebay.

There are two problems here. First, Access stubbornly refuses to sell their flagship browser product directly to end users of their newly purchased flagship OS. Second, dmitry has made netfront available to many users who don't have a legal right to use it.

I have seen many of the posts here encourage him to keep netfront in the ROM image, while others have laundry lists of things to add or delete. The real answer is some sort of ROM tool that lets us build a TX rom image of our own liking.
r0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:16 PM   #112
veritech
Coder in training

Big thanks to Palm, sorry i mean dmitry, i get so confused, which is the hacker again?

Mines restoring right now, it saddens me that i'm not a better programmer as i would love to help out with these things. So much for so little(not that i've seen his bank balance ^_^, but someone should some VC funding behind him and go public. You could call it hand instead palm.

Anyway enough crap jokes, thanks again.

Higher Haks My University Hacks and tips Blog, Helping you hack your way to a degree, one DoS at a time

Digg-Mobile
Checkout the latest digg stories on your Palm Device, Netfront and Blazer friendly, and there are no ads!
veritech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:20 PM   #113
Masaju Adachi

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0k
I have seen many of the posts here encourage him to keep netfront in the ROM image, while others have laundry lists of things to add or delete. The real answer is some sort of ROM tool that lets us build a TX rom image of our own liking.

I could not agree with you more. I think trying to come up with ROM image that *everyone* loves is very difficult task, if not impossible. Secondary, there are applications we *buy* and want to keep in ROM. Dmitry can not put those apps in ROM without infringing copyrights. Thirdly, there is a special want like mine. I want to store Japanese font resources in ROM (about 2Mbyte) I am sure I don't need any language resources such as French, German,Spanish or Italian. Eliminating these resources in ROm will give me space for Japanese in ROM with some changes. I know a author of Japanese extention was succssful of doing just that for treo, using treo 650 Rom tool and was able to regain a good amount of DBcache. (this is the main reason if I want to hack Rom image)

If Dmitry can release some kind of ROM tool which is idiot proof (ie., device will always have means of being re-flashed. Flashing A device sometimes leave the device brain-dead due to not able to boot up to the point it can be flashed again), then I guess he does not need to listen to the endless "requests" (of course he does not need to listen to any of those including this one, even now )
Masaju Adachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:48 PM   #114
amoon
amoon69

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAmerican
Amoon, the TX2 rom has the TH(older version) of NF on it but MaxX allows you to use any version of NF. So I have the VZ version on mine since I like and use carriage returns

JAmerican

Thanks for the update, I thought MaxX did that, if Dmitrys is watching (I'm sure he is) then maybe the VZ version can be added as the carriage return is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwho
Is it stable though? Some people have reported major problems after upgrading

Yes I have not had any issues to date.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dmitrys, just a personal thanks for all the hard work you are obviously putting in, keep it up.

Last edited by amoon : 06-20-2006 at 06:01 PM.
amoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:36 PM   #115
gsparks2

oops!

I had a bad experience. I tried to update first rom to the latest. Backupbuddyvfs would not restore. Tried hotsync restore but ended up with a rest loop.
Bought the Enterprise security update and restore to original ROM.

No more experimentation for me.
gsparks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:41 PM   #116
dmitrygr
Software engineer/hacker

Send a message via ICQ to dmitrygr Send a message via AIM to dmitrygr Send a message via MSN to dmitrygr Send a message via Yahoo to dmitrygr
*sigh* ok i will ammend the first post to tell people to use a good backup app

My software:PowerSDHC, PowerDrive, nuRom, UDMH, warpSpeed, PowerDiGi, brightnessFix, etc...
Get it all here:http://www.PalmPowerups.com
dmitrygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:59 PM   #117
snowcraft22

dmitrygr, I wonder if it is possible to build a " pure rom" without any pre-installed applications beforehand? for users like us to use TX with enough DBcache and get rid of softwares like cjkos pocket tunes and apps like that.
And in my opinion the "pure rom" should:
1,remove CJKOS( for asian users)
2,remove the default calculator
3,remove quick tour
4,remove document to go
5,remove expense
6,remove default notepad
7, remove solitare
8,remove versamail
9, remove blazer
10,remove pockettunes

Since TX has enough ram for installation, a "pure rom" of it may offer as much as DBcache possible and the most possibilities for most users to custom their own handles.
Is that possible? Please do us a favor
snowcraft22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:38 AM   #118
JAmerican
Why Does Palm Disappoint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoon
Thanks for the update, I thought MaxX did that, if Dmitrys is watching (I'm sure he is) then maybe the VZ version can be added as the carriage return is needed.

Yes I have not had any issues to date.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dmitrys, just a personal thanks for all the hard work you are obviously putting in, keep it up.

Actually, when I hard resetted today and reinstalled most of my apps to stabilize my TX, I could not get the VZ version to work as I did before the reset.

JAmerican

Handspring Treo 90 --> Royal RG135nx --> T-Mobile Sidekick --> T-Mobile Sidekick Color --> PEG-UX40 -- > PEG-UX50--> Samsung T629 (Returned) -- > Palm TX (SOLD)/T-Mobile Sony Ericsson T610(Defective) --> T-Mobile Dash(Broken Screen) --> ASUS EEE 1000H Black/Treo 800w/PEG-VZ90

Accesories: Transcend 16GB SDHC | 8GB Transcend microSD
JAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:42 AM   #119
dmitrygr
Software engineer/hacker

Send a message via ICQ to dmitrygr Send a message via AIM to dmitrygr Send a message via MSN to dmitrygr Send a message via Yahoo to dmitrygr
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcraft22
dmitrygr, I wonder if it is possible to build a " pure rom" without any pre-installed applications beforehand? for users like us to use TX with enough DBcache and get rid of softwares like cjkos pocket tunes and apps like that.
And in my opinion the "pure rom" should:
1,remove CJKOS( for asian users)
2,remove the default calculator
3,remove quick tour
4,remove document to go
5,remove expense
6,remove default notepad
7, remove solitare
8,remove versamail
9, remove blazer
10,remove pockettunes

Since TX has enough ram for installation, a "pure rom" of it may offer as much as DBcache possible and the most possibilities for most users to custom their own handles.
Is that possible? Please do us a favor

as i previously explained there are a few sections of the rom. i only modify one. there are ways to edit the others too, but it is a bit more dangerous. I am evaluating doing that.

My software:PowerSDHC, PowerDrive, nuRom, UDMH, warpSpeed, PowerDiGi, brightnessFix, etc...
Get it all here:http://www.PalmPowerups.com
dmitrygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:07 AM   #120
technical1
Sorcerer's Apprentice

Dmitry & All,

I had a very strange experience. I put my SanDisk UltraII 1Gb card into my pc's media slot, expanded the files into the card's /Palm/Launcher directory. When I got to the point of tapping on TX updater icon, I got a msg telling me that a file was missing. Believing that it might be related to apps I've got on the card; I used an old 256Mb sd card. I removed any files in the /launcher directory on 2nd card & expanded the zip file into it. This time I saw 2 icons; one was TX updater & one was ROM Updater.

Feeling lucky, I decided to go ahead & try tapping on the ROM Updater icon & I got a very fast series of msgs rolling down the screen & got only one reboot.

Rbackup 1.35.4 worked & saw my prev backup sets just fine (in 1st attempt to update I had a copy of Rbackup in the Palm/Launcher dir, along w/a lot of other stuff).

I got a msg fm Maxx & upon re-install fm backup & reset, I saw it again; but not after any further resets (soft).

Upon checking, I didn't seem to get Filez - something I like a lot. I restored it fm backup of my prev d/l'ed version & opened it - to see if there would be a little icon next to Filez's name in the list to indicate it was in ROM & I was able to delete it.
What is with that?

Drive mode works just fine. Now I don't have to remove sd card to do an app install manually (doing it w/hotsync is awfully slow)!

I still have VersaMail & Blazer, Dialer, & SMS.

I did have one scare when testing my apps - SuperSlyder a great game fm Astraware opened & after returning to 'current' game, & tapping on up navigate button I got a crash that CrashPro didn't even register. Fortunately, it was caused by UDMH not having a special setting for it - the game is on my SD card, so I just added it to UDMH list & checked off skip quit & it worked fine again.

FYI, I copied the app that Dmitry said had a new drive mode that works (it did); & the overflow files were dated 6/20, TXupdater was 6/18 & ROMUpdater was dated 2/17.

So far, so good.

Keep up the good work Dmitry. Would it be possible to come up w/an app to delete stuff fm ROM? if you can find the time; of course!

All the best,

Eli

Using Centro with Apt, AgendusPro, Accessorizer, Initiate, Butler, PhoneTechnician, Genius, Reset Doctor, Power Hero, CallRec, Datebk6+DbFixIt, Bonsai+DayNotez+Comet, Resco Explorer+Backup+Viewer+RLocker+ID Guard, PowerBtn, Memo Leaf, SafeGuard, Lightspeed, RingCare+VolumeCare, Splash Money, Palmary Clock Wireless4Centro, & more & loving it!