First off this is SB_pete, I cannot post when logged on at the moment.
My Screen is shattered, and my VAJA case (730s classic) caused it. Today I walked onto the subway like I do every day and as I walked through the turnstile (standard 3 bar rotating thingy), the force of walking into it applied too much force to my pocket where my Clie was. The button which closes my "high quality" Vaja leather case then applied too much pressure in that little localized area and cracked the screen (yes the screen was properly closed and not in open tablet position). The turnstile did stick abit before turning (delay in processing ticket I guess) but walking through a turnstile still should not shatter the case, this is very little force. I will try and have pictures up soon and will post a link, but you can see from where it cracked. It is in the exact location of the button which closes the case and the center of the crack from whence it spider webs out is the exact shape and size.
The lesson from this is never buy cases with a push button closure or any other piece which can focus the pressure onto the screen.
Now I don't know what to do though. Sony wants to charge me $175 and who knows how long it will take for them to get it back to me, never mind the fact that I live in France and they want me to send it to them, then they will send it to my parents in CA, who will then forward it to me. Argh, I was waiting for the next model to upgrade and I canít live without my Clie for very long. Thing is that it is still worth it to me to replace since I can at least get like 300 bucks out of it over here. I have a bunch of questions though.
1. I am sure that I am capable of fixing it myself so does anyone know of where to obtain an NR70V digitizer? Sony refuses to sell me one and gethightech.com does not sell them.
2. Does anyone know of anyone who has done this with an NR/NX series before? or where instructions on how to do it can be found?
3. Does anyone know of any companies that sell broken clies or other palms where one might be able to obtain a used but working screen or top half from an otherwise broken NR?
4. By the way, for those who might be wondering, Sony tells me that it is $150 for replacement of screen, $25 for return shipping, you pay cost of shipping to them, and they tell me that turn around is guaranteed to be 7 days or less from the time they receive the Clie to the time you get it back (US deliveries only). However the rep would not elaborate on what exactly that guarantee was, just that it was guaranteed. When asked what happens if I donít get it back in 7 days, he simply said "you will."
5. ANY OTHER IDEAS OR ADVICE THAT ANYONE CAN GIVE ME!?!?!