Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
  NEWS
  Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
  FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
  Games
  Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
  Audio/Video
  Cellphones
  Digital Cameras
  Gaming
  Gadgets & Gizmos
  Non-Palm OS PDAs
  PCs/Laptops
  Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
  FREEWARE
  Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
  ABOUT US
  Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
  LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices: 

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Palm > T|X-Series
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2006, 08:25 AM   #31
PinCushionQueen
Oxidants happen.

Sorry if this is a stupid question But I would just like to clarify something... UnCache will only increase my Cache size after a reset? I notice that as the day wears on my DBcache grows smaller and smaller... So do you guys who have been using this program reset your TXs everyday - to have a large cache?

Also, it was my understanding that the cache will automatically empty itself as needed... is this not true?

If this is the case, then it seems to me that after a reset I've got some extra cache space but as I use my PDA more and more, that cache kind of whittles down and I end up in the same low cache space place that I was before and then the OS will start empty things from cache as needed. This will contine until I reset again.

P.S. Now I'm down to 5 days on my trial period. If nothing else I've discovered time travel

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life.
PinCushionQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:28 AM   #32
OrionNE

Send a message via ICQ to OrionNE Send a message via AIM to OrionNE Send a message via Yahoo to OrionNE
Send File using BT

I have noticed that I cannot send files using Bluetooth since I have installed UnCache. I have told Dmitry about this but was wondering if anyone else has this problem and foud a work around. aka Files I need to have loaded into cache.
OrionNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:51 AM   #33
dmitrygr
Software engineer/hacker

Send a message via ICQ to dmitrygr Send a message via AIM to dmitrygr Send a message via MSN to dmitrygr Send a message via Yahoo to dmitrygr
i found a workwround, and UnCache is not the culprit, merely the catalyst.
workaround: in rsrcedit delete all prefs from unsaved preferences whose ids are -4, -2, and -2.

then tuns palm off and back on and then reset

My software:PowerSDHC, PowerDrive, nuRom, UDMH, warpSpeed, PowerDiGi, brightnessFix, etc...
Get it all here:http://www.PalmPowerups.com
dmitrygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:14 AM   #34
OrionNE

Send a message via ICQ to OrionNE Send a message via AIM to OrionNE Send a message via Yahoo to OrionNE
Yup

Yup, That seemed to fix it. However what am I deleting that might screw up other applications?

Is that a typo you have -2 listed twice.

OrionNE
Old 02-28-2006, 12:39 PM   #35
snark
Jack of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Pun
How can I uninstall MemUnfragment?
With a file explorer (Resco Explorer by instance), change its type from "aext" to something else ("xxxx"). Reset the Palm. You'll be able to remove it.
KeyColor 2: change the keyboard, icon and ink colors on Palm devices
TagEditor: edit ID3 tags in MP3 files
And also
QuickDest - APmapper

snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:13 PM   #36
_Em
Beta Tester

Send a message via ICQ to _Em Send a message via AIM to _Em Send a message via MSN to _Em Send a message via Yahoo to _Em
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinCushionQueen
Sorry if this is a stupid question But I would just like to clarify something... UnCache will only increase my Cache size after a reset? I notice that as the day wears on my DBcache grows smaller and smaller... So do you guys who have been using this program reset your TXs everyday - to have a large cache?

Also, it was my understanding that the cache will automatically empty itself as needed... is this not true?

If this is the case, then it seems to me that after a reset I've got some extra cache space but as I use my PDA more and more, that cache kind of whittles down and I end up in the same low cache space place that I was before and then the OS will start empty things from cache as needed. This will contine until I reset again.

P.S. Now I'm down to 5 days on my trial period. If nothing else I've discovered time travel

I think you've got it all down
On NVFS devices, the cache gets cleared whenever a program requests more cache space than is currently available in a contiguous block -- this is what causes those long Blazer load times. Unfortunately, any time a program requests a chunk of DBCache as Protected, that chunk can't be flushed without a reset -- this eventually results in severely fragmented DBCache, with lots of free cache, but all in unusable tiny chunks.

However, one of the other upsides to UnCache is that it decreases the time it takes to reset a Palm; I generally reset mine now before using any memory intensive app -- takes about 12 seconds; less time than it takes to flush the DBCache when launching Blazer.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:54 PM   #37
pruss

Quote:
Originally Posted by snark
With a file explorer (Resco Explorer by instance), change its type from "aext" to something else ("xxxx"). Reset the Palm. You'll be able to remove it.

Or easier: Set its Recyclable attribute. Reset the Palm. It's gone!

For my shareware (FontSmoother, myKbd, mySkin, Accenter, FastLaunch and AtomClock) and freeware PalmOS software, go here: http://pruss.mobi
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:09 PM   #38
SoS
tired and confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Em
I think you've got it all down
On NVFS devices, the cache gets cleared whenever a program requests more cache space than is currently available in a contiguous block -- this is what causes those long Blazer load times. Unfortunately, any time a program requests a chunk of DBCache as Protected, that chunk can't be flushed without a reset -- this eventually results in severely fragmented DBCache, with lots of free cache, but all in unusable tiny chunks.

However, one of the other upsides to UnCache is that it decreases the time it takes to reset a Palm; I generally reset mine now before using any memory intensive app -- takes about 12 seconds; less time than it takes to flush the DBCache when launching Blazer.

that's great for TX but not really convenient on a lifedrive with ~2min reset...
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:09 AM   #39
PinCushionQueen
Oxidants happen.

So does anybody know of an app that will schedule a reset?

It would be nice to be able to schedule an automatic reset after my early morning automated processes (plucker updates, backup, hotsync) so that I can start the day with a nice big fresh cache.

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:12 AM   #40
dmitrygr
Software engineer/hacker

Send a message via ICQ to dmitrygr Send a message via AIM to dmitrygr Send a message via MSN to dmitrygr Send a message via Yahoo to dmitrygr
ther is a freeware app "chronos" that is like cron in linux that it can schedule app launches, and there is a few freeware reset apps that reset whne launched. combine the two. :-)

My software:PowerSDHC, PowerDrive, nuRom, UDMH, warpSpeed, PowerDiGi, brightnessFix, etc...
Old 03-02-2006, 09:01 AM   #41
PinCushionQueen
Oxidants happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitrygr
ther is a freeware app "chronos" that is like cron in linux that it can schedule app launches, and there is a few freeware reset apps that reset whne launched. combine the two. :-)

Thanks Dmitry... However, sadly "Crony" is no longer available for download. When you click on the download link from either palmgear or freewarepalm you just get rerouted to an email address. I emailed the developer to see if there's any chance I could still get a copy - but no luck yet. Plus most of the reviews said that it was not OS5 compatible.

Does anyone have a copy of the app? Are you using it w/ OS5? Would you be willing to send me a copy?

Old 03-02-2006, 09:10 AM   #42
OrionNE

Crony

PM me your email address and I'll send it too you. Crony does work with os5 you have to edit the prc using a program like filez and make the prc launchable.

OrionNE

Last edited by OrionNE : 03-02-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:27 AM   #43
PinCushionQueen
Oxidants happen.

Sweet! Thanks OrionNE! I've PMd you...

Now hopefully with mReset and Crony- I'll have a fresh cache every morning I'll report back once I get it all configured and working.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:19 AM   #44
dmitrygr
Software engineer/hacker

while you're at it, send me whatever version of it you have, and ill host it somewhere if the author is gone.

Honestly i'm just too lazy to write it myself :-)

Old 03-02-2006, 12:22 PM   #45
OrionNE

Crony

Sent it to both of you.

P.S. Dmitry any luck on the Bluetooth send issue. I went to send a calendar entry to a co-worker today and guess what it didn't work again. I used rsrcedit and deleted all id's with -2 and -4 in my unsavedprefrences like I did before and it works again until next time.

Also Uncache now says that I have 1 day left in my 15day trial I have only had it loaded for 3 or 4 days.

Thanks again
OrionNE