Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:†

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Topic Specific > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2005, 07:50 AM   #1
Brjlk

Why so few Palm OS hardware manufacturers other then Palm One?

Look at the number of PPC & Windows mobile phones. You have HP, Asus, Fujitsu etc
Even Palm One is manufacturing the Treo Windows mobile version.

But on the Palm platform apart Palm One & Qool, no one sells Palm OS PDAs or mobile phones.
When I keep in mind that many PDAs are not even manufactured by Palm One , but outsourced to
companies in Taiwan, I don't understand why these manufacturing companies have not designed, manufactured & sold their own brand of
Palm OS PDAs & mobile phones? If they did we would have much more models.

On the Windows mobile platform manufturers sell their own brands, for example HTC sell the T-Mobile MDA Pro
http://www.techworld.com/mobility/r...67&reviewid=354
HTC also manufactures for Sharp
http://engadget.com/2005/12/30/hand...-sharp-w-zero3/

At a time when Palm OS was owned by Palm One, wasn't that a sutuation of vested interest?
A situation where Palm One has interest in selling most PDAs & mobile phones than "competitors". Can that be a reason why Sony abandoned the Palm OS?
Can that be a cause why Palm OS has lost ground to the Windows mobile platform where many, many companies develop/manufacture for that platform.

When I first heard that Palm one will manufacture Treo for WM, my first reaction was feeling betrayed. Well, Palm One is free to do it, that's business. But the timing seems
a bit too right to be mere coincidence.

Now that Access owns Palm OS, the situation about other Palm OS hardware may change, but is it a little late to conquer territoty lost to WM?

This is a personal opinion, I might be completely wrong

John
Brjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 08:49 AM   #2
Cliedeveloper

Exclamation Their will be many Sony Clies on the market in March

The new series will have a model that will satisfy you.
Cliedeveloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 10:25 AM   #3
dragonsgames
I'm stuck on the source

Ok Cliedeveloper, let's make a bet. If there are new Clies in March, I will leave 1src and never come back and if there are not new Clies in March you will leave 1src and never come back. Deal?
Sony Clie N760c -> Sony Clie TG-50 -> Treo 600 -> Sony Clie NX80, Fossil wrist PDA-> Sony Clie UX50 -> Sony CLIE VZ90 -> TG50, iPod 5.5 Gen -> Sony CLIE UX50, Sony PEGA-EB40 -> Sony CLIE PEG-TH55/E1, Samsung A900 (Blade) -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pre -> HTC Hero, Apple MacBook -> HTC Evo ->Nexus S 4G, Apple MacBook Pro

I like iSpin, it's my favorite launcher!!
I am the 2nd top 1src poster!!
dragonsgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 12:37 PM   #4
iboar
W5JCK HAM Operator

John,

Microsoft now has a much better PDA OS than Palm and Microsoft is actually working better with other companies and encouraging them to produce PDAs and smartphones that run WM. Palm really doesn't want any competition in the hardware arena because they also build PDAs, whereas Microsoft doesn't compete with hardware manufacturers, they only provide the OS software. In my opinion, Palm OS is on the way out. Manufacturers, other than Palm, are not interested in it since WM far outclasses it.

1SRC,

Why don't you guys bar Cliedeveloper and any other screenname with his IP address? He is clearly a troll, and probably the same teenager that has been using a variety of screennames over the past few years to purposely spread false rumors.

w5jck.com

Blackberry Pearl, HP Mini 110, and iPod touch 1G
iboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 01:21 PM   #5
Brjlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by iboar
John,

Microsoft now has a much better PDA OS than Palm and Microsoft is actually working better with other companies and encouraging them to produce PDAs and smartphones that run WM. Palm really doesn't want any competition in the hardware arena because they also build PDAs, whereas Microsoft doesn't compete with hardware manufacturers, they only provide the OS software. In my opinion, Palm OS is on the way out. Manufacturers, other than Palm, are not interested in it since WM far outclasses it.

I share your views about Palm hardware competition. One thing that Palm One has not realised: The harm caused to Palm One/OS by a sort of monopoly entertained by Palm One may affect themselves, this time on the WM platform. Protectionism has always hindered innovation.

They will have to face the fierce competition against other big names in electronics (including the actual Palm One oursource) which also manufacture hardware for WM.
After all Palm One is not a real manufacturer, it only outsources the product.

And suppose Palm OS really dies one day, what will be the significance of the name Palm One for a company that sells WM hardware.

John
Old 12-31-2005, 01:41 PM   #6
dragonsgames
I'm stuck on the source

Palm is retarded. The CEO should be fired. He has destroyed the company, especially by splitting the company. It was a horrible business move, and now I have heard that they may do it again. Just bad business. The CEO should be fired.
Sony Clie N760c -> Sony Clie TG-50 -> Treo 600 -> Sony Clie NX80, Fossil wrist PDA-> Sony Clie UX50 -> Sony CLIE VZ90 -> TG50, iPod 5.5 Gen -> Sony CLIE UX50, Sony PEGA-EB40 -> Sony CLIE PEG-TH55/E1, Samsung A900 (Blade) -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pre -> HTC Hero, Apple MacBook -> HTC Evo ->Nexus S 4G, Apple MacBook Pro

Old 12-31-2005, 02:33 PM   #7
Pdaman
Retired pda user

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsgames
Ok Cliedeveloper, let's make a bet. If there are new Clies in March, I will leave 1src and never come back and if there are not new Clies in March you will leave 1src and never come back. Deal?

ookay dude, you really hate Cliedeveloper, don't you ? But on the other hand not bad deal Because I don't believe either that there is coming new sony clies so so... it just seems that Cliedeveloper don't really do here anything other than give false rumours or where to do hard reset...
Sony Clie Th55 = Simple as that, the the best pda what I have ever owned! However even it didn't keep me in the Pda world. About my gadgets, I'm now just using my psp, camera and cellphone. Maybe I will someday get a new pda, but it must to have phone cababilities so I don't need to use my regular cellphone anymore. And yeah, this means I won't be hanging in here 1src that much anymore. If someone want me to remove unfinished threads from 1src or something just pm me. Keep your gadgets running!
Pdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 02:40 PM   #8
dragonsgames
I'm stuck on the source

Yes, he sent me a bad PM, do you expect me to like him?
I am going to win the bet

Old 12-31-2005, 03:10 PM   #9
Brjlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliedeveloper
The new series will have a model that will satisfy you.

I am not doubting what you say, but would like to have more information. If what you say is correct, 2006 starts with some good news.

John

Last edited by Brjlk : 12-31-2005 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:13 PM   #10
dragonsgames
I'm stuck on the source

He is just spamming. Look at all his posts

Old 12-31-2005, 03:28 PM   #11
pgenie
Genie's Decision Maker

Send a message via Yahoo to pgenie
Is this the end in sight for palm OS?

Quote:
In late September Palm unveiled a Treo smartphone running Microsoft's Windows Mobile instead of Palm OS. Many observers interpreted this as the beginning of the end for the Palm operating system as we now know it.

Quote:
Following Sony's exit from the PDA market last year, Palm is the only significant licensee of Palm OS. However, its current products run versions of Palm OS 5, and not the newer Palm OS Cobalt that Palm's former subsidiary PalmSource released last year.

Quote:
Palm's latest device, codenamed Treo on Windows, was developed because many corporate customers have a Microsoft-only strategy and demanded Windows on mobile devices to match their fleet of desktop PCs, according to Palm. "We're selling Treos to many small firms and consumers, but enterprises are only interested if they already have a Palm OS strategy. If they have a Microsoft strategy [for mobile], they don't want to change," said Palm's European vice-president, Francois Bornibus.
Palm insisted it will continue to offer Palm OS Treos in the future. Tony Cripps of analyst Ovum commented, "Palm will have to [keep offering Palm OS], to maintain its beachhead with GSM operators. No Windows Mobile Treo targeted at this market will see the light of day before the second half of 2006."

Quote:
However, it seems unlikely that any further Palm OS Treos will be developed. Current models run an ageing version of the Palm platform, and to extend this to match the 3G network support in Windows Mobile 5.0 may prove costly.
If firms will not buy Palm OS handsets, Palm may simply decide to cut its losses and ship only Microsoft-based models once the Treo 600 and Treo 650 reach end-of-life.

Quote:
Might the same thing happen to Palm's handheld range? Ken Wirt, senior vice-president of marketing, said his firm was waiting for PalmSource to port the Palm environment to Linux before moving away from Palm OS 5. He said that there were no plans to produce Windows Mobile PDAs. "It will take us about a year to build a product on Palm OS for Linux after they come out with it," Wirt added.

PalmSource was recently acquired by Japanese software firm Access, but still expects to deliver Palm OS for Linux in the first half of 2006. Wirt said, " We're very optimistic about Linux - it will give us much broader access to chipsets, different processors and radios, because every vendor that puts out a chipset writes Linux drivers for it."

Wirt said he did not think PalmSource's acquisition by Access would affect the Palm OS for Linux project. "We've worked with Access for a while - its NetFront powers our Blazer browser - so we have a good relationship," he added.

While Palm looks set to continue shipping Palm OS 5 handhelds for the near future, Wirt admitted there would have to be a cut-off point. "At some point in the future, we would obviously prefer to be on one platform," he said

Source:itweek

Last edited by pgenie : 12-31-2005 at 03:30 PM.
pgenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 03:32 PM   #12
dragonsgames
I'm stuck on the source

I just don't see the Treo 700w winning in the market. There are many better smart-phones in the market...

Old 12-31-2005, 04:04 PM   #13
pgenie
Genie's Decision Maker

Send a message via Yahoo to pgenie
I will not comment on palm's strategy anymore but surely I know it's a Win-Win for Microsoft (Windows)!!!

Last edited by pgenie : 12-31-2005 at 04:06 PM.
pgenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 05:14 PM   #14
phoenix3200
virtualcalc.com

I just decided to look at an online guide about the differences between Palm OS and Pocket PC (an old guide at MobileTechReview), and quite frankly, and unless I've missed something, Pocket PC has nothing on Palm OS (and the recent list of hardware devices available), except that it sounds friendlier that Microsoft made it.

I think the market share between Palm OS and Pocket PC will, sadly, become quite similar to the market share of Apple and Windows. It's completely based on market saturation: Windows Mobile is on all sorts of devices from all sorts of manufacturers, spurning all of them to keep their devices updated to the max. Palm OS has dropped down to one manufacturer (besides a couple of smartphones), and with Sony out of the market, the motivation to improve their devices has disappeared.

PalmOne is falling behind. They're already behind RIM, and they're almost (or may already be) behind HP. They realized that they need to make changes, and sadly, I think this is a stupid one.

As for me, I'm sticking with my PalmOS NX80 until it breaks. Then I'm on the hunt for a replacement NX80.

Edit: I pity the man who owns a RIM device.
m100->T615c->NX60->NX80->Abacus->Zodiac 2
Want to be a beta tester? Sign up here, or check out my website.

Last edited by phoenix3200 : 12-31-2005 at 05:16 PM.
phoenix3200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 05:35 PM   #15
dragonsgames
I'm stuck on the source

My NX80 broke, and I got a UX50. An OK replacement. I think I am going to get a VZ90