Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Palm > LifeDrive
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
SKreme

Warning: Palm Hardcase (Hard Case) for Lifedrive may cause scratches to unit!

My Lifedrive broke and I took it out of my Palm brand hard case to bring it back to the store (because it was under store warranty). When I took it out of the case, I noticed that it was scratched and gouged on the right side of the frame around the screen. (I will post pics when I get a chance.) And they were pretty bad scratches too. I have NEVER taken my LD out of the case since I purchased it. I don't know whether pressure on the hard case caused it to scratch my LD or what caused it but all I know is I put the hard case on and when I took it off a couple months later, the LD was all scratched. Needless to say, when I got my new LD, I did not put it back into that case. Has anyone else had this problem? I am using the stock case until I get something else. Does anyone use the innopocket or boxwave hardcase and do they work well?

Last edited by SKreme : 01-03-2006 at 01:37 AM.
SKreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 08:58 PM   #2
dragonsgames
I'm stuck on the source

Hmm, do you have anything inside the case? Does the LD shake around in there?
Sony Clie N760c -> Sony Clie TG-50 -> Treo 600 -> Sony Clie NX80, Fossil wrist PDA-> Sony Clie UX50 -> Sony CLIE VZ90 -> TG50, iPod 5.5 Gen -> Sony CLIE UX50, Sony PEGA-EB40 -> Sony CLIE PEG-TH55/E1, Samsung A900 (Blade) -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pre -> HTC Hero, Apple MacBook -> HTC Evo ->Nexus S 4G, Apple MacBook Pro

I like iSpin, it's my favorite launcher!!
I am the 2nd top 1src poster!!
dragonsgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 09:07 PM   #3
SKreme

Never shook around and there was nothing in the case that I know of.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:08 PM   #4
dragonsgames
I'm stuck on the source

Hmm, isn't there supposed to be foam inside of the case?
Sony Clie N760c -> Sony Clie TG-50 -> Treo 600 -> Sony Clie NX80, Fossil wrist PDA-> Sony Clie UX50 -> Sony CLIE VZ90 -> TG50, iPod 5.5 Gen -> Sony CLIE UX50, Sony PEGA-EB40 -> Sony CLIE PEG-TH55/E1, Samsung A900 (Blade) -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pre -> HTC Hero, Apple MacBook -> HTC Evo ->Nexus S 4G, Apple MacBook Pro

I like iSpin, it's my favorite launcher!!
I am the 2nd top 1src poster!!
dragonsgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 10:30 PM   #5
SKreme

There is... but the cover is metal and theoretically if it got smashed down, maybe it scratched. The problem is that it is the corner too. I am going to upload pics in a couple of minutes! I am really curious if this has happened to anyone else. I didn't notice it because I never took mine out of the case.

EDIT:
Pics-
Corner of LD

Right side of metal frame around LD

Last edited by SKreme : 01-01-2006 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:48 PM   #6
Kitten

I'm using the Palm metal case for my LifeDrive. I just popped it out of the case and I don't see any scratches on the LifeDrive at all. Sorry to hear that yours was scratched though. Maybe I should start looking for a new case.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:51 AM   #7
SKreme

Check ebay... I just bought one for $13. They have off brands and name brands (Rhino, innopocket) for cheaper than getting it direct. Search for "Lifedrive aluminum case". Anyhu, if anyone else has had this prob, let me know... I will be emailing Palm to complain and I will let everyone know what happens.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:58 AM   #8
smoothjordan
Member Since Cliesource

Send a message via AIM to smoothjordan Send a message via MSN to smoothjordan Send a message via Yahoo to smoothjordan
for 50 bucks, this thing shouldn't scratch it, mine hasn't and it's been in it since i got it about a week ago

Current Gadgets:

iPhone 8GB, Palm T|X, PSP Slim (Silver), DS lite (white)
smoothjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:21 AM   #9
Joel
1src Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to Joel Send a message via AIM to Joel Send a message via MSN to Joel Send a message via Yahoo to Joel
SKreme, we're talking about this case, right?...

If we are, run your fingers inside the case and feel for any sharp edges or sharp finish. That's what I feel's causing the scratches.

Your pictures made me check my hard case and it's all smooth in there... so I'm really curious what caused those scratches on your LD.

My main concern for this case is the metal notch on the door. It seems to touch the surface of the LD when the door's closed. So whenever I insert or remove the LD, I always make sure the door is fully open.

Last edited by Joel : 01-02-2006 at 01:30 PM.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:43 AM   #10
Pathdoc

No scratches here either. On my Palm hard case, the only thing that comes in contact with the edge that you are showing is the black plastic. The metal does not go that far over and the plastic should not be hard enough to create the damage. Are you sure something was not in your case between the plastic and the LD?
American Red Cross

A great place to stay in the Smoky Mountains: www.magnificent7cabin.com
Pathdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:58 AM   #11
potter

I also have the Palm LD hard case. I double check, no scratches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKreme
I have NEVER taken my LD out of the case since I purchased it.
Hmm, I take mine out quite often.

Theory: Some hard grit (say sand) got into the case, and then the flexing of the case in your pocket caused the scratches.
potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:12 PM   #12
SKreme

Joel... Yes we are talking about that case (pictured in your post) that I paid top dollar for when the LD first came out. Maybe as Potter said, something like sand got inside and scratched it up. Or else, I noticed that the front door on my case is a little bent and sometimes it gets pressed in. I thought maybe that caused some damage but the problem is, the CORNER got damaged too as shown in the pic, it wasn't only the right side where the latch on the door is. So I don't know how both would get damaged. Maybe the once or twice (Ok... Never was not quite the word, I just meant almost never. Like I took it out once or twice (ie. to put screen protector on etc.) but on the whole, I leave it in there and don't remove it.) I removed it, it got scratched on the way out like Joel said. The problem is, it looks like it got scratched where the black is touching it, not where it touches metal. Well, I just bought one of them aluminum "aircraft grade" neoprene lined case to replace this because I don't trust it anymore. It isn't padded enough for me if it is going to scratch up my LD. And it did tend to "flex" so maybe it scratched up against the LD in a weird way. I don't know how it happened. I hope it was just a fluke and that it doesn't happen to anyone else. I'll let you know what happens after I email Palm.