Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Palm > LifeDrive
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2005, 02:10 PM   #46
Kaptain_Korolev

Just updated mine about 30 minutes ago and everything went smoothly.

Well, the only hiccup was that the Palm desktop backup didn't work correctly. But I back up every day to an SD card with RescoBackup and used that to restore my data and apps instead.

So far I have to say the device seems much more snappy. I'll have to have a few experiments with Wi-fi as well as there were some parts of my home were the signal was very weak and I couldn't connect with the LifeDrive. Let's hope the new update changes things!
Kaptain_Korolev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 03:41 PM   #47
PDAJah

Blaser is now living up to its name !
Old 12-02-2005, 03:52 PM   #48
Utes Rule

Update is AWESOME!

I just completed the update about 20 minutes ago and it FAR EXCEEDED my expectations.

I've only had my Life Drive now for about 3 weeks and was quite frustrated with 2 things: 1. Crackling sound with MP3's and 2. Lag. This update fixed both. BY FAR the most important update I wanted to see was the crackling on MP3's and it now sounds PERFECT, just like my T5 did. The lag is still there compared to the speed of the T5 (post ROM update) but it is much snapier now with the update.

GREAT job Palm. I am very satisfied. Keep up the good work!

Utes Rule

p.s. For those of you who say Palm shouldn't have released this handheld with all the bugs it had and then did this update, I say hogwash to you all. I don't think that Palm simply releases crappy products. I think in my 3 weeks of use previous to today's update that the Life Drive was a very good product, which just got better. I think it says a lot for Palm that they put the time and money into these types of updates and releases them as soon as they can (I'm sure after extensive testing). I've owned 10+ different PDA's in the last 8 years (from Palm's to Sony's) and every single one (including the beloved Sony) has had some issues, but Sony never released a ROM update like Palm has. KUDOS TO PALM!
Old 12-02-2005, 05:05 PM   #49
jvburdick

My lifedrive is humming along quite nice now. I had to reinstall pocket tunes deluxe as it was causing some issues for me, but otherwise then that no other problems. My lifedrive is snappier and seems more stable than before. Its seems to be a job well done. Blazer is definitely faster and I can easily connect to wifi hotspots with better signal qaulity (I still cannot believe I can't download a file thru blazer- out of memory error still lives.) I followed closely to the instructions given and I think thats way mine has gone well. I did experience a couple hotsync hiccups, but none now as I have hotsynced a dozen or so times. I'm liking this update!
jvburdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 05:11 PM   #50
Joel
1src Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to Joel Send a message via AIM to Joel Send a message via MSN to Joel Send a message via Yahoo to Joel
Another confirmation... PocketTunes does indeed work well! I played a song and switched to many applications. There's almost no gaps while the song's playing in the background.

Blazer works fast but for downloading, why not try Tyler's excellent, SharkDownload [download zip file]?
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 05:17 PM   #51
slaughters

Hard Disk contents erased?

I thought that Hard Disk contents were not supposed to have been erased?

Right now I sit impationatly waiting as four 400MB+ video files get copied back onto my LifeDrive as the (hopefully) last stage of the Installation process.

Were they really erased from the hard drive or did the LifeDrive Manager synch dates get out of whack? I can't tell with out interrupting the process (which I am not going to do). All I can say is that I am glad I backed up all my video and ebook files prior to doing the installation.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:26 PM   #52
Icecruncher

Installed last night, via my mac. No problems, however I didn't restore via the user backup, instead I used the opportunity to do a fresh install of the programs I had on before. I figured I wanted a clean slate to start with again.

Finished about 2am last night

I run the LD almost all day, almost everyday at work. I use Mapopolis with bluetooth for GPS. (Best GPS on the market for LD)

Before I did the update for the most part it was stable if I stayed out of Blazer and versamail and occassionally an odd reset from the memory manager or something else. (I'd get a reset or two a day)

So far, rock solid since the upgrade.

I would like to see someone try Legacy RPG which had some problems with saving files on the LD and crashes on a number of LDs.

Documents 8 is also stable, but it was before
iSilo is likewise, as before

icecruncher
Icecruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 05:30 PM   #53
kb7sqi

Send a message via ICQ to kb7sqi Send a message via AIM to kb7sqi Send a message via MSN to kb7sqi Send a message via Yahoo to kb7sqi
Hi all,
I never really post much, but when the LifeDrive first came out, I bought one the first day. By then end of that 1st day, I wanted to throw it thru the window. hehe. I'm a gadget geek by nature. Been using Psion's, Palms, & even Sharp Zaurus for years. I have quite a collection. But I was really looking forward to adding the LifeDrive to my collection & be a replacement for my truly faithful Tungsten C. Needless to say, after 3 days w/ my first LifeDrive, it went back to the store, I bought another Sharp Zaurus 3000 (Awesome device) and pretty much wrote off the LifeDrive as a true piece of junk! Well, last month I was away on business up in Boston & had my Laptop pretty much die. Since I was going to be in town for several more days. I wanted something w/ more storage & a bigger screen than Tungsten C. I decided to take the plunge & buy another LifeDrive. For the last month it has been stable. Only a few soft resets. No hard resets. Completely different than my first one! I love it. I've been waiting like everyone else for the update to come. Hehe. Last night as soon as I saw the update posted, I backed up my unit & installed it. I had ZERO problems w/ the installation. I had a current backup, but decided to install everything from scratch. The LD is like a new device. I've read alot of complaints about the LD & have said QUITE a few nasty remarks about them myself, but I think everyone needs to keep an open mind when buying one. Give it a shot. You might be suprised. Mine has been my primary mobile device while away from home/work & I don't see that changing anytime soon and I still daily use my Treo 650 for work, a Tungsten C, Sony Clie NX-80, Danger HipTop2, and 2 Sharp Zaurus' hehe. Hope everyone has a great holiday season.
kb7sqi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 05:43 PM   #54
SoS
tired and confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughters
I thought that Hard Disk contents were not supposed to have been erased?

Right now I sit impationatly waiting as four 400MB+ video files get copied back onto my LifeDrive as the (hopefully) last stage of the Installation process.

Were they really erased from the hard drive or did the LifeDrive Manager synch dates get out of whack? I can't tell with out interrupting the process (which I am not going to do). All I can say is that I am glad I backed up all my video and ebook files prior to doing the installation.

well, I dont get this..the first step of the update process is to hard reset - last time i looked, on the LD this means HD erase...am I missing something??

Last edited by SoS : 12-02-2005 at 05:46 PM.
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 05:59 PM   #55
Joel
1src Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to Joel Send a message via AIM to Joel Send a message via MSN to Joel Send a message via Yahoo to Joel
Palm did a *great* job with the instructions on how to do this update. I followed everything line by line.

I'm also smiling not only because of the positive comments but also because of the new members posting (and old members posting again). WELCOME everyone!
Old 12-02-2005, 06:06 PM   #56
Joel
1src Co-Founder

A quick runthrough of the update process:

1. Hotsync
2. Hard Reset
3. Install the 36 files
4. Hotsync with a new user name
5. Wait for the update to finish
6. Hotsync with the original user name
Old 12-02-2005, 06:21 PM   #57
SoS
tired and confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel
Palm did a *great* job with the instructions on how to do this update. I followed everything line by line.

I'm also smiling not only because of the positive comments but also because of the new members posting (and old members posting again). WELCOME everyone!

yes, its great. Breathed new life into the LD and the LD forums...maybe even a few of thos 'turncoat' LD->TX rebels may change their minds now...whaddya think Joel?

ps. Im just joshing....
Old 12-02-2005, 06:42 PM   #58
so12

This must be my lucky day. Just bought the lifedrive and version 2 update is here.

I have installed a lot of softwares on it already with no instability problem what so ever.

I can even use my favourite Zlauncher without any problem.

I love this machine.

One question. If I want to install pocket tunes delux, do I need to delete the one come with the lifedrive first or just over-write it ?

Thanks
so12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 06:49 PM   #59
SoS
tired and confused...

apparemtly, simultaneous button presses are now supported! Anyone confirm this??
Old 12-02-2005, 09:09 PM   #60
JAmerican
Why Does Palm Disappoint?

Finally, you would expect at Palm's standards that they would release a device that has issues like lag fixed or the OTB issues fixed. I still think Palm should have incorporated a CF slot instead of a Built-in Hard Drive that way they allow users with Canon cameras (like me) to be able to use CF and SD in their handhelds. I was thinking about Dell Axim just because of the dual-slot feature.

Anyway, glad you guys with the LD finally have your fix. LOL.

JAmerican

Handspring Treo 90 --> Royal RG135nx --> T-Mobile Sidekick --> T-Mobile Sidekick Color --> PEG-UX40 -- > PEG-UX50--> Samsung T629 (Returned) -- > Palm TX (SOLD)/T-Mobile Sony Ericsson T610(Defective) --> T-Mobile Dash(Broken Screen) --> ASUS EEE 1000H Black/Treo 800w/PEG-VZ90

Accesories: Transcend 16GB SDHC | 8GB Transcend microSD

Last edited by JAmerican : 12-02-2005 at 09:12 PM.
JAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote