Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Topic Specific > Mac / Linux
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2005, 01:19 AM   #46
Luminous

Hi Tim,
I haven't experienced the DST problem with MS5, but I did encounter it when I briefly tried GoBetween. I had to uncheck one category in iCal to 'fix' the problem. I think I had to uncheck the 'Entourage' category, and I have since completely ditched Entourage and GoBetween.

Trying to sync Entourage and iCal resulted in every appointment being duplicated and one set (the entourage set) was off-set one hour. Apart from that GoBetween was a complete success :-)

Of course, unchecking the category merely masked the problem rather than fixed it, but my Palm and iCal got me to appointments at the right time. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but it may be worth investigating.

I was still using MS4 during the recent switch to DST and the change was recognised on both my Mac and Palm without a hitch. I assume MS5 should deal with such transitions as well.
Cheers,
Richard
Old 11-13-2005, 01:12 AM   #47
oz-nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous
Hi Tim,
I haven't experienced the DST problem with MS5, but I did encounter it when I briefly tried GoBetween. I had to uncheck one category in iCal to 'fix' the problem. I think I had to uncheck the 'Entourage' category, and I have since completely ditched Entourage and GoBetween.

Trying to sync Entourage and iCal resulted in every appointment being duplicated and one set (the entourage set) was off-set one hour. Apart from that GoBetween was a complete success :-)

Of course, unchecking the category merely masked the problem rather than fixed it, but my Palm and iCal got me to appointments at the right time. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, but it may be worth investigating.

I was still using MS4 during the recent switch to DST and the change was recognised on both my Mac and Palm without a hitch. I assume MS5 should deal with such transitions as well.
Cheers,
Richard

Hi Richard,
I had no timezone issues with MS4 - daylight savings & timezones all worked fine. It's only since upgrading to MS5 there's been an issue - it changes all non-timezone events to standard (non-daylight savings) time. And I don't use Entourage - nasty horrible yuck!

I have notified MarkSpace of the issue, so hopefully all will be well soon. Hopefully. Of course, I'm sure it would be fixed faster if it was DST in the US right now, that's what I get for living in the backwaters of the world...

Cheers,
Tim
Old 11-21-2005, 02:24 PM   #48
filipv

AAAAARRRRGGGHHHHH ....
yesterday i updated missing sync with the latest 5 update. All looked good until this morning i go to sync and its asking me if i want to merge all the contacts and calenders ....eh?...i go ....i say yes... and guess what .. EVERYTHING DOUBLE ..AAGGHHH.. so tonight i had to sort it out all ...luckily calended didnt double everything ..only the yearly repeating events ( i havent got a clue why) but the phonebook doubled all the address information ..e.g. 2 same addresses for each contact. I had to manualy delete doubles in ical but address book i had to revert to the last database which i backed up 2 weeks ago.

WHY ! ..WHY does this happen sooooo often on mac ...

Please ...someone help and tell me how the hell to avoid this in the future.

I've decided now to set reminders to back up database at least once a week ...but do we really need to do this ?

Missing Sync - great app ....but common ..cant we just avoid this ever happening ?

sorry for using the forum to express my frustration .... (my wife wouldn't tolerate if i did it on her )
filipv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:40 PM   #49
Homie S

Send a message via AIM to Homie S
I'm trying this out to see if it's going to help me any better, but right now I have major syncing issues. When using MS, is the normal conduit manager not accessible? I'm trying to rid myself of Avantgo stuff (doesn't work when I bluetooth sync, I'm just going to scrap it), but it errors every time I try to open it up. On top of that, my hotsync cable isn't working (it simply won't sync, either with hotsync manager OR MS), so I'm trying to dial down what I need to do. I'm thinking of reinstalling palm software on my Powerbook, see where it goes from there. The demo will last me enough time to figure out what to do.

Anyone have any good ideas on how to start from scratch on this to get MS running smoothly? Right now I've got conflict issues up the ying yang (Mark Space event comflicts with iCal which conflicts with something else it doesn't recongize). I'm up to do anything but a hard reset, only cause I'm at my parents house, without my software (although I suppose I could download Palm Desktop off palm's website).

EDIT: well, got the cable working, there's a good start. Can someone tell me how the whole "MarkSpace contacts" and "MarkSpace Events" are? I don't understand what they are in relation to iCal or Addybook, is it just what MS is going to stick on my handheld? every time I sync it asks me if I want to merge iCal and my iPod's calanders to "Markspace Calander" and I say sure, go for it.

Last edited by Homie S : 11-23-2005 at 03:04 PM.
Homie S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:30 PM   #50
oz-nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipv
AAAAARRRRGGGHHHHH ....
yesterday i updated missing sync with the latest 5 update. All looked good until this morning i go to sync and its asking me if i want to merge all the contacts and calenders ....eh?...i go ....i say yes... and guess what .. EVERYTHING DOUBLE ..AAGGHHH.. so tonight i had to sort it out all ...luckily calended didnt double everything ..only the yearly repeating events ( i havent got a clue why) but the phonebook doubled all the address information ..e.g. 2 same addresses for each contact. I had to manualy delete doubles in ical but address book i had to revert to the last database which i backed up 2 weeks ago.

WHY ! ..WHY does this happen sooooo often on mac ...

Please ...someone help and tell me how the hell to avoid this in the future.

AFAIK the 5.01 to 5.02 upgrade has the same effect as 4.xx to 5.xx.That is, it starts from scratch and you need to "overwrite the handheld" for events, contacts & tasks to avoid duplication. After the 1st sync it all works the same. The only problem I'm having is that MS is still messing up the whole daylight savings vs regular time thing - but only for events created or modified on the dekstop. Other than that it is working flawlessly.

But, after saying that, I would still back-up iCal (file menu, "Back up database") & Address Book (file menu, "Back up AddressBook) files before upgrading MS, just in case.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 11-23-2005, 11:43 PM   #51
oz-nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homie S
I'm trying this out to see if it's going to help me any better, but right now I have major syncing issues. When using MS, is the normal conduit manager not accessible? I'm trying to rid myself of Avantgo stuff (doesn't work when I bluetooth sync, I'm just going to scrap it), but it errors every time I try to open it up. On top of that, my hotsync cable isn't working (it simply won't sync, either with hotsync manager OR MS), so I'm trying to dial down what I need to do. I'm thinking of reinstalling palm software on my Powerbook, see where it goes from there. The demo will last me enough time to figure out what to do.

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do, can you explain a little more what you mean? Using MS you can choose which conduits you want to sync and can change the default behviour for each conduit. No need to use anything else. If you're trying to use Palm conduit manager then that's probably creating conflicts

Quote:
Anyone have any good ideas on how to start from scratch on this to get MS running smoothly? Right now I've got conflict issues up the ying yang (Mark Space event comflicts with iCal which conflicts with something else it doesn't recongize). I'm up to do anything but a hard reset, only cause I'm at my parents house, without my software (although I suppose I could download Palm Desktop off palm's website).

When you say MarkSpace event conf;icts with iCal, what do you mean?
Easiest way to go from scratch is to unistall MS, restore iCal & Address Book databases from back-up (you did back them up before installing MS right? ). Then reinstall MS. On first sync, overwrite the handheld with the desktop databases - DON'T CHOOSE SYNCHRONISE OR MERGE. Sorry for the shouting, but it's important on the 1st sync.

Quote:
EDIT: well, got the cable working, there's a good start. Can someone tell me how the whole "MarkSpace contacts" and "MarkSpace Events" are? I don't understand what they are in relation to iCal or Addybook, is it just what MS is going to stick on my handheld? every time I sync it asks me if I want to merge iCal and my iPod's calanders to "Markspace Calander" and I say sure, go for it.

"MarkSpace Events" is the conduit for syncing between events (desktop iCal with handheld Calendar), "MarkSpace Contacts" is the conduit for AddressBook & Contacts "MarkSpace Tasks" is the conduit for iCal & Tasks. They're just conduits, they don't install anything on your handheld. After the 1st sync (when you overwrite teh handheld with the desktop info) they should sync perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 11-24-2005, 02:07 AM   #52
Homie S

Send a message via AIM to Homie S
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz-nom
stuff

I figured most of this stuff out on my own by tooling around with it a little more, but yea, thanks for your input. It was just weird to have MS tell me "There's a conflict with this event" and it asked me to choose one from the MarkSpace conduit, the iCal event itself, or another one which it couldn't even identify (it just said 'null' and had no info about the conflicting event). By this time I was getting super confused, but I've got it pretty much down now.

Today was a day for more Treo stuff (and a lighter wallet!). I bought Salling Clicker 3.0, a new SD card (I had an 8mb one from a Digital camera, found a 256mb one at the Staples I was near while out with friends), and also downloaded the demos for Zlauncher and MS. By the end of the week I'll have unlimited data and try to tackle getting it all setup, including bluetooth DUN. Jury is still out on both apps, but with all the stuff I'm buying, 40 bucks might not be in the budget for now. Zlauncher might be worth it, as it looks pretty nice and user friendly. We'll see.
Homie S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 08:56 AM   #53
steveapp

MS 5 additional question

Im curious, I have 4 items I want to use to sync with my mac, the usual calandar (iCal) and addressbook, also tasks that go to iCal but the 4th, memo's syncs to notes in Outlook on the PC - where can this go on the Mac ?

Can I use entourage for all 4 ? if so does missing sync 5 cover all this? Sorry to ask probably obvious questions Im still a bit lost since coming back to Palm from the PPC for several years.

Stephen
steveapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 01:54 AM   #54
oz-nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveapp
Im curious, I have 4 items I want to use to sync with my mac, the usual calandar (iCal) and addressbook, also tasks that go to iCal but the 4th, memo's syncs to notes in Outlook on the PC - where can this go on the Mac ?

Can I use entourage for all 4 ? if so does missing sync 5 cover all this? Sorry to ask probably obvious questions Im still a bit lost since coming back to Palm from the PPC for several years.

Stephen

G'day Stephen,

Mark/Space provide their own Memo app (Mark/Space Memopad) to handle memos on the desktop. It's basic but works fine.

As for Entourage, I believe MS syncs it OK, but I dumped it years ago so can't confirm.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 11-25-2005, 06:00 AM   #55
zenlon

Question Trouble with MSv5, Contact & Events

I cannot get MSv5 to sync Contacts with Address Book nor Calendar/Datebook/Datebk5 with iCal. MS runs either completes the sync "successfully" or I have to cancel it because it hangs on Contacts or Calendar. After reading the description below, has anyone had similar issues or does anyone have any useful ideas? Apologies in advance for the longish description, but thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

All my data is on the Palm (T5), so don't want to overwrite the Palm. Address Book was backing up "fine" with Palm Hotsync (with all its limitations), but I'll lose additional field info if I overwrite the Palm. iCal contains no useful data (but many duplicated events in the past) as it never synced properly after I switched from Palm Desktop many moons ago.

I have 2,242 contacts and 1124 event records. That's after having removed 22,477(!) event records to the DatebookHistory database with Datebk5 in an attempt to relieve the pressure on the conduit.

I'm not completely convinced it is the sheer number of records alone. On a few sync attempts, and after much waiting while the MS sync engine chewed on its cud, I was presented with conflicts dialogues with which I dutifully selected which records I wanted to keep. I then selected something like "Sync now" as opposed to "Sync later". After that, it just continues to chew for hours until I have to eventually cancel it.

Someone has had similar problems:
MSv5 contacts database error & "fix"
and I tried roughly the same approach; that is, saving backups of Address Book and iCal databases, then opening those apps to get new, blank databases generated, then syncing using "Sync" and not "Overwrite...". But so far no success.

<<<< MS history log excerpt >>>>
Sync starting at 23/11/2005 22:54 (22:54:35) on USB (5.0.2)
OK Install
TimeCopy: host 2005/11/23 22:54:38, palm 2005/11/23 22:54:39, diff: -1s
OK TimeCopy
ISyncInvalidRecordException you referenced the following records (in a relationship) but did not actually push them: (
"Ccom.markspace.missingsync.palmos.contacts_4193_51 33145",
"Ccom.markspace.missingsync.palmos.contacts_4193_51 28900"
)
SyncClient error. Mingling failed.
OK Mark/Space Contacts with 2 message(s)
There was an error starting a synchronization session. This conduit has been unregistered, and the next time you synchronize you will be prompted to synchronize. If that does not happen, try restarting and synchronize again.
SyncClient error. Can't initialize sync session.
OK Mark/Space Events with 2 message(s)
OK Mark/Space MemoPad
OK Mark/Space Tasks
No folders have been selected to synchronize.
OK Mark/Space Folder Sync
OK Note Pad
OK SplashID

OK Lufthansa
OK Install
OK Backup
Sync completed successfully at 23/11/2005 23:45 (23:45:16)
<<<<>>>>>
zenlon is offline   Reply With Quote