Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
  NEWS
  Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
  FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
  Games
  Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
  Audio/Video
  Cellphones
  Digital Cameras
  Gaming
  Gadgets & Gizmos
  Non-Palm OS PDAs
  PCs/Laptops
  Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
  FREEWARE
  Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
  ABOUT US
  Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
  LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices: 

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Palm > Tungsten
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-07-2004, 09:48 PM   #1
gfunkmagic

Send a message via AIM to gfunkmagic Send a message via Yahoo to gfunkmagic
Sober reflections on T5. What is forgiveable/unforgiveable...

I posted this over at PIC and figured I'ld do the same here:

IMO, the ommision of certain features are forgivable, while other are not. First, the forgivable features that are ommitted:

-NO Cobalt: You really can't blame PalmOne if rumors that Cobalt really wasn't ready for prime time are true. The T5 was probably in design phase for a long time, and the decison to use Garnet is excusable in this setting.

-No Palm Universal Connector: Really, PalmOne could have avoided this whole mess if they hadn't called it "Universal" from the beginning. PalmOne had supported the PUC for 3-4 years now, and it is understandable that they would want to move on from this legacy interface. I know alot of PalmOne users are pissed b/c they accessories will no longer be compatible, but I can accept this decision if it means more variability in the choices of peripherals in the future.

Now the Unforgivable features that are ommitted:

-No Voice Recorder: WTF is up with that? For $400 bucks, this should be a default feature like it is on almost any other pda in this price range. How can P1 market the T5 as a "business pda" and not have an integrated voice recorder or mic? The explantion that 'oh, most users don't use a vc anyway' is extremely lame. What kind of rationalization is that? PalmOne has to realize consmers will be comparing spec sheets and this ommision has to be glaring. Why are they removing features that is present in they lower end pda (T3)? Shouldn't the T5 as their flag-ship also have a voice recorder?

-Lack of Vibrating Alarms: This is another massive failure of this device. Again, how can they ommit such an important feature in a deice supposedly marketed towards business users? Don't business users need vibrating alarms to notify them of meetings? The ommision of this is just retarded. And again, I don't want to hear that crap about "users don't need that or they don't use it" nonsense. What next, do they want to remove the audio-out b/c most users use iPods instead of pdas to listen to music?

Now finally there is the question of wifi. I didn't list it as an 'unforgiveable' ommission b/c it squarely has to do with the price and naming of this device. To put it succinctly, if PalmOne was smart enough to name this the "TE2" instead of the T5 and priced it ~$100 bucks cheaper, then no one would really be b!tching about the lack of wifi. But it isn't and now PalmOne had a marketing catastrophe on their hands. I still think the T5 can be a successfull device for PalmOne, but they will have to quickly and drastically cut the price of the unit to do so imo...

Finally, from the various previews posted, it's nice to know that T5 case isn't as cheap looking as the TE. Too bad the internal specs don't live up to it's outward appearence though! : Any thoughts?

Current devices: Treo 650 + Axim X50v

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600

Moderator: PalmInfocenter and Treocentral
gfunkmagic is offline   Reply With Quote