Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Topic Specific > Mac / Linux
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2004, 02:25 PM   #1
nickms

Does Mac OS X really require MissingSync for Clie

I've read a lot of posts here about using MissingSync with Clie handhelds for syncing your handheld on Mac OS X with Palm desktop. However, I recently used an application called pdiQue to make Palm Desktop for Mac OS X compatible with a Garmin iQue. pdiQue simply adds the USBVENDOR IDs and USBPRODUCT IDs to the property lists inside the necesarry files in Palm Desktop to allow it to recognize the handheld. This works perfectly for syncing all the basic conduits excluding functions unique to the iQue, it even works with Vindigo. Using a Plist editor pdiQue can be modified to add any USBVENDOR IDs and USBPRODUCT IDs to Palm Desktop.

So my question is has anyone tried this?

From what I've read, excluding multimedia, MissingSync does not even appear to be very active while conducting a basic hotsync. It seems quite possible and even likely that all MissingSync does is add the IDs to Palm Desktop and then handle multimedia transfers through its own app.

If anyone has some insight on this please respond I plan on buying a TH55 soon would rather implement this solution myself than pay 30$ for an app that does the same thing (again, excluding multimedia file transfers).

This is a copy of the email I recieved from the developer of the pdiQue application:

Greetings, Nick.

I would say that it is worth a try. You can modify PDiQue to use a
different pair of IDs to have it add them.

I did some searches on the th55 for its ids. Linux seems to use Sony
vendor id as 1356 (0x054c) and device id 324 (0x0144). If you have
Apple's developer tools installed, you can use "USB Prober", the clie
should appear when it tries to sync. If it isn't trying to sync, it
won't appear. The IDs will appear in hex while PDiQue and Palm Desktop
use decimal numbers. The numbers for the iQue are in the
PDiQue.app/Contents/Info.plist file, so if you change them to the Clie,
it will add those values to Palm Desktop's list instead. The file is
XML formatted, and you can use Apple's Property List editor to modify
it also.
nickms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 07:36 AM   #2
sdsdsd
Silver Contributor

I use OS X 10.2 and the latest version of Palm Desktop with my Clie 615 and have had no problems at all. Now, I don't use a Memory Stick, and I really don't do much with music or pictures on my Clie, but it works just fine.
sdsdsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 04:20 PM   #3
nickms

Listed Devices

Yes the 615 and the 665 IDs are listed in Hotsync's property list. Thanks for further confirming my theory :-) If anyone is interested in participating in an experiment I could try to post a modified version of pdiQue containing the codes for their handheld.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:43 PM   #4
bh77a

I have a TJ27... I have tried it with Palm Desktop 4.1.. no joy... My desktop is OS X.1.5...

CLIE TJ27, Tungsten E(1), TX, CLIE TH55/U
bh77a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 09:30 PM   #5
nickms

If my theory is right, the TJ27 should work if the USBVendor ID 1356 and the USBProduct ID 361 are added to the following files:

/Applications/Palm/HotSync Manager/Contents/Plug-ins/USBNotifier/Contents/Info.plist

/Applications/Palm/Transport Monitor/Contents/Plug-ins/USBNotifier/Contents/Info.plist

/Library/Application Support/Palm HotSync/Transports/USB/Contents/Info.plist

The TH55 should work with the USBVendor ID 1356 and the USBProduct ID 324 are added to the same files.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:02 PM   #6
bh77a

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickms
If my theory is right, the TJ27 should work if the USBVendor ID 1356 and the USBProduct ID 361 are added to the following files:

/Applications/Palm/HotSync Manager/Contents/Plug-ins/USBNotifier/Contents/Info.plist

/Applications/Palm/Transport Monitor/Contents/Plug-ins/USBNotifier/Contents/Info.plist

/Library/Application Support/Palm HotSync/Transports/USB/Contents/Info.plist

The TH55 should work with the USBVendor ID 1356 and the USBProduct ID 324 are added to the same files.

This sounds great! Are you going to update the software to be able to do this, as mentioned in your earlier post? Is there detailed information on what to do to make this happen? Will all conduits (ex. WordSmith, MAL Conduit, etc.) work by doing this?

Keep the info coming...

Old 06-30-2004, 01:18 AM   #7
nickms

pdiQue Modified to enable TJ27

I modified the application to add the TJ27 IDs (if I have the right ones) and attached the app to this message. You may need to restart your Mac or you may not. Please remeber this is only a theory and I cannot be sure it will work. Mostly I'd just cross my fingers :-)
Attached Files
File Type: zip PDiQue for TJ27.app.zip (445.1 KB, 489 views)
Old 06-30-2004, 08:01 AM   #8
bh77a

The attachment is "pending approval"...

So are you saying that all I need to do is have the app on my desktop and then try to hotsync? Install the app? Restart?

How did it work with the Garmin iQue that you used?

Have you tried this with a CLIE?

Are there any risks to this app other than it just may not work?

Old 06-30-2004, 09:12 AM   #9
nickms

Once you've downloaded and then unzipped the app simply launch it. A small window will appear which should contain the directory path to your copy of Palm Desktop. There is also an info box which describes the app as being an updater for iQue compatability. Disregard the stuff about the iQue as the version of the app I uploaded contains the IDs for the TJ27. Simply click the button labled update and the IDs will be added to the necessary files. A confirmation dialog should appear notifying you that the update has been successful. You may want to make a copy of you palm user data before using the PDiQue. I make no guarntees but I don't think there should be any problems. I didn't have any when I used. All the app is doing is adding two numbers to property lists HotSync. This can all be done manually as indicated in my previous posts. Once you've successfully run the app your TJ27 should function with Palm Desktop as normally as any palm handheld. The only exceptions would be multimedia and memory stick compatability. But, the iQue worked like a charm and my Vindigo, the only third party conduit I tried, worked without problems. I just ordered a Clie TH55 yesterday, so you could wait until I've tried this out myself.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:28 AM   #10
joe

When I switched to the Mac in 2002, I had a Clie T415 and it synced under OS X (10.1) just fine without Missing Sync. When I upgraded to a T615c later that year (I think) it too synced under OS X (10.1 and 10.2) with no problems. At the time, I was told that the only Clies that absolutely require Missing Sync were those with MP3 functionality. About a month ago, I got a TJ37 and it does indeed absolutely require Missing Sync to sync under OS X (10.3). I was told in one of the forums here that even the more recent non-MP3-enabled Clies require Missing Sync due to an issue with USB drivers. I'm skeptical, but I have not confirmed this statement as I don't have a recent non-MP3-enabled Clie. I do know, however, that Missing Sync 4.0 (due for release sometime next month I think) will be a "killer app" and as a registered user I certainly intend to upgrade. I like the ability to mount the memory stick on my OS X desktop. I have a 20GB iPod so I'm not really interested in the music functionality. I like the wifi functionality though.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:30 AM   #11
tnhh
Rhubarb Rhubarb Rhubarb

I've just tried this with my TH55, Palm Desktop 4.2.1 and MacOS 10.3.4. Doesn't work
It could be because the TH55 uses two endpoints, see the Linux discussion here

FWIW I have been able to get the pilot-link tools working, see my post here
tnhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 10:46 AM   #12
tnhh
Rhubarb Rhubarb Rhubarb

It works!!!!

Ignore the above message. I rebooted my PowerBook and now it works!

(silly me for thinking that since MacOSX is UNIX underneath, I would never have to reboot my Mac...)
Old 06-30-2004, 12:09 PM   #13
nickms

Thank You tnhh

I really appreciate your help proving my theory and I'm glad it worked out for you. If you could elaborate on your results and obseravtions once you've had more time to wok with the TH55 and Palm Desktop I would really appreciate and I'm sure it would benefit Clie Source members.

Thanks again,
Nick
Old 06-30-2004, 12:48 PM   #14
tnhh
Rhubarb Rhubarb Rhubarb

What details do you want to know? I've tried out iSync, seems to work although it's rather slow. Doesn't undersand the Palm categories either, so I think I won't bother using it. I also tried the Palm Desktop, but it's as ugly as the Windows version, so again I don't think I'll use it. I think I'll stick to jpilot under Linux, and then export to iCal and LDIF to sync with my Mac.

Thanks again for the tip!
Old 06-30-2004, 11:35 PM   #15
bh77a

Just downloaded the uploaded app, but no joy as of yet... I am looking into updating my version of the Palm Desktop...

The app starts (appears in the dock) and then disappears after about two seconds... no dialog, etc... Tried restarting as well...

What I did find is that the files that you have listed as being modified do not exist on my machine... Wondering if this will be cured with the newer version of Palm Desktop...

My info: Palm Desktop 4.1, Mac OS X 10.1.5

Any other ideas?