Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
  NEWS
  Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
  FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
  Games
  Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
  Audio/Video
  Cellphones
  Digital Cameras
  Gaming
  Gadgets & Gizmos
  Non-Palm OS PDAs
  PCs/Laptops
  Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
  FREEWARE
  Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
  ABOUT US
  Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
  LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices: 

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Sony > Clie TH-series
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
enderenya
iPod Touch 4 vs. TH55/E1

Send a message via AIM to enderenya
TH55 vs iPod Touch 4th Gen

Now that the iPod Touch 4th generation has a camera (actually 2 cameras), I am now finally able to assume that it finally trumps the TH55/E1 for capability!

I haven't used my TH55 for a long time, but I've always missed the built-in microphone and camera.

After the iPt4 has a jailbreak, I can't think of a single thing off-hand that it won't be able to do that my TH55/E1 can do.

Any thoughts from the TH55 scene or zealots? I'm sure someone can find something...
enderenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:53 AM   #2
wreckage
Wreckage

Android or iPhone?

Don't get the iPhone. Android has far more freedom, and you can actually copy music FROM an Android to your computer. iTunes won't let you do that. If you're happy with Steve Jobs telling you what you can and can't do with your own phone, then get the Apple by all means.. ;-)

Cheers.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
enderenya
iPod Touch 4 vs. TH55/E1

Send a message via AIM to enderenya
1) I don't remember mentioning anything about a phone. If you know of a comparably-sized device that is NOT a phone and uses Android, please feel free to mention it.

2) There are plenty of options to copy your music from your iDevice without iTunes.

3) Jailbreaking means a lot more freedom from Apple's tight grip, yet still having some of the best devices available.

4) Any comments from TH55 current/past users?
enderenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
dbrich

Th55 vs iPod Tough 4th Gen

I still regularly use my TH55 around the house and town. I have to agree with you the 4th generation touch seems to have bettered the 6yr old Clie. The changes in technology have left the TH55 behind in compatibility but continue to offer support to the iPod culture. Sony, in their latest home theater systems, provide USB support to the latest batch of iPods but not the CLIE.
I have not seen a 4th generation touch but would like to get my hands on one to test drive for a week. I really like their ability to video call between the touch and the iphone. Reminds of the type of programs you could get when the TH55 first appeared.
dbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
Cyker

Two words: Data Entry.

There is not a single touch-screen phone or device out there yet which can beat a Palm unit for data entry.

Graffiti really was a work of genius.

I was trying to enter an SSID, WEP key and proxy server on an iPhone and it was bloody torture!
Unless you have *no* fingernails, it's awkward as hell to enter text anywhere near as rapidly or comfortably as a Palm unit. AND you have to look at the screen while doing it; Because I've been graffti'ing so long, I can just turn on Graffiti Anywhere and write without even looking at the screen and with only minimal errors!

With two strokes, I can enter symbols that Android and iPhones don't even have access too!

The only thing that could budge me from my TH55 is a resistive touch screen device (Seriously, I hatehateHATE capacitive touch screens!) with full-screen Graffiti capabilities and WiFi-N support!
Cyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
dbrich

Also...

I still agree with Cyker. I too love the data entry with graffiti and my favorite program is Clie Organizer with on the screen notes of the calender.
The iPod hardware is caught up, but face it, who wants to be yoked with the terrible DRM from Apple. I have so many hacks on my CLIE to optimize it to my needs.
I bought my PDAs for a monthly planner replacement that I could pocket. The best part now is why pay hundreds for a iPod touch when I can get a good CLIE for less than a hundred on ebay. I just bought a UX-50 for $70. Next, I 'm heading over to JAmerican Junction to download some of those clever programs for free.
dbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
glaganie
Cliemaniac

Post Former Th55 user - might be coming back

I used to carry a Palm device with me all the time since the first Palms came out (they were called Pilot and were made by US Robotics). By the end, I had a TH55 that I cherished and praised for a couple of years.

Then I switched to an iPhone (phone not activated, using it as a PDA or pocket computer), and transferred all my data from the Palm.

I will probably switch back to a TH55 because searching information on the Apple device is such a mess... It does not look into all fields in contacts, and it does not search past events in calendar. I ended up having to use third party apps, like Informant and Evernote. They work fine, but search is painfully slow, compared to a TH55.
Agreed, web surfing, camera and GPS functions are better on the iPhone, but search function AND data entry are so much better on Palm devices. I may end up carrying both.

My two cents...
Old 10-16-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
DanT
TH55 Nutcase member
Platinum Contributor

TH55 screen is 20% bigger than iPt4
Old 10-17-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
philpalm

My TH-55 is so scuffed that I don't like to publically use it (now I have a newer shiny one for public usage. The camera resolution is so bad that I'd rather use my sony Ericsson phone camera instead.

No more avantgo but I use Mobipocket e-news from CNN, USA Today and BBC which takes about five minutes to upload and another five minutes to hotsync to read on my TH-55 in full screen mode.

Most games would scratch up my screen (or screen protector). I suppose staying on a PSP or ITouch would be the way to play games in my spare time. I haven't got a Kindle or IPad for ebook reading but I would consider that route, maybe.....
Old 10-20-2010, 05:12 AM   #10
jj2me

Quote:
Originally Posted by philpalm
No more avantgo but I use Mobipocket e-news from CNN, USA Today and BBC which takes about five minutes to upload and another five minutes to hotsync to read on my TH-55 in full screen mode.

Hey, thanks for that tip. Mobipocket enews works great. Nice to be pumping more life into the old TH55.

I'm another that wants a device with the easiest data entry. I'm the type that doesn't understand the use of an on-the-go device if you can't easily use it as your digital brain, to offload the reference tidbits of life as they pop up. Since I use Graffiti 1 on an old SJ20, I feared that I might confuse myself by also using Graffiti 2. Instead, I use MessageEase, though it requires looking at the screen. iPod Touch's and iPhones have a crippled version of MessageEase. From the MessageEase developer:

Quote:
"Apple has gone out of its way to make it impossible for the developers of third-party-keyboards to provide anything other than an app. This is perhaps their way of defending their poor choice of QWERTY as the sole method of text entry"
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
philpalm

I was sadden to read that Tombraider news no longer is updated. I am not too good to use Plucker, but most likely some of the news links are still good or need new labels and addresses to work.

I believe that Splash news may be around but haven't tested that either because the TH-55 wifi is so finicky compared to my TX.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:43 AM   #12
McSam

Palm/Clie runner-ups to TH55?

OK, if not iPod, then how about other Palm or Clie runner-ups to TH55?
I'm a long-time TH55 user but am getting tired of the freezes and lockups and resets and not being able to reset.
McSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:35 AM   #13
jj2me

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSam
I'm a long-time TH55 user but am getting tired of the freezes and lockups and resets and not being able to reset.

Have you tried seeing if it's a bad database? This requires buying the $13 app dbfixit.

My TH55s only punt occasionally on one 3rd-party app. I assume your freezing is not noticeably occurring only when in a particular app or two.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #14
McSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me
Have you tried seeing if it's a bad database? This requires buying the $13 app dbfixit.

My TH55s only punt occasionally on one 3rd-party app. I assume your freezing is not noticeably occurring only when in a particular app or two.

I have the trial version of dbfixit, which reports no problems to fix. My current problem on one unit is a complete and total Reset Loop which does not allow a Reset, even with a disconnected battery for 2 days, even while attached to the cradle. I can't imagine "doing anything" to it that would change anything, other than stepping on it. The freezing is not related to a 3rd-party app, since I have another identically configured TH55 which doesn't freeze. But this "working one" suddenly developed a different problem, which I posted yesterday under "desktop not overwriting handheld" (which summarizes the problem!)
McSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #15
olderTechnology

Nobody mentioned Graffiti for Android. Has anybody tried that, and does it solve the input problem for us Palm old-timers?

It is Graffiti 1 by the way, not Graffiti 2.

http://www.access-company.com/cgi/n...&aname=graffiti
olderTechnology is offline   Reply With Quote