Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Palm > LifeDrive
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #106
echenlon

ok, I've done everithing, I have the table, the correct C/H/S an original not modified ROM (runing kubuntu live CD) bun when I use

$ dd if=rom-partition of=/dev/XdX seek=134079 bs=512

40001+1 records in
40001+1 records out

I obtain 40001+0 records out, I can't make it work, ofcourse, the lifedrive doesn't boot.

what can I do now?

////EDIT////
I tried $ dd if=rom-partition of=/dev/XdX seek=134079 bs=512 conv=nocturnc
and $ dd if=rom-partition of=/dev/XdX seek=134079 bs=512 conv=sync

both give diferents results but diferent from the needed result, aka= thon't work

Last edited by echenlon : 09-08-2008 at 12:48 PM.
echenlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #107
dmitrygr
Software engineer/hacker

Send a message via ICQ to dmitrygr Send a message via AIM to dmitrygr Send a message via MSN to dmitrygr Send a message via Yahoo to dmitrygr
you need to install md5sum and python....or use linux

My software:PowerSDHC, PowerDrive, nuRom, UDMH, warpSpeed, PowerDiGi, brightnessFix, etc...
Get it all here:http://www.PalmPowerups.com
dmitrygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:36 PM   #108
JavaJiveJump
Behold the Elixir of Life

or wait for Dmitry's "NuRom" for LifeDrive.
JavaJiveJump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:31 PM   #109
eaguiler

Cf

I had made the change in two steps having the image file. With Cygwin you only need to copy the image to the CF and its OK in 3 hours. I will generate my image archive for personal research but if anyone needs the archive please tell me. Salutes
eaguiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #110
vibo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madtech
I finished removing the apps I didn't want, and i saw a file named ``Boot.conf`` Anyone of you edited this file

Since it contains the booting information !?

Well, it is already confirmed that editing boot.conf is possible, but with one precaution:
the file must end with empty line. The rest is more or less obvious: you can either rename your new apps to match the names of deleted stuff; or you can simply add new lines e.g. romDB=whinehack.prc
db=PalmFiction.prc
etc.
vibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:39 PM   #111
vibo

Hotsync problem

After I modded the ROM some months ago with the minimal system setup (i.e only essential files) according to the post #10 of this thread, got some weird OS behavior - every second button press caused Hotsync to launch, even when I disabled any buttons assignments to Hotsync. 2) TomTom 6 doesn't start anymore, but it was absolutely fine with unmodded ROM. Anyone has an idea which files in the ROM are essential for TomTom 6? And what is causing Hotsync to start when I press for example power button? Very annoying and seems that I need to revert to the original ROM

Update: It seems I got what causes Hotsync to pop up every time I press powerbutton. Under Prefs->Buttons->More there are assignments to cradle and modem buttons, which you can use with any application BTW. When I re-assigned them to Files, the same popups happen now to Files. The bad thing is when it's up, it never goes to sleep mode and battery drains very fast. A temporary workaround is to assign these buttons to a dummy app, but I still don't know why this sh*t happens.

Last edited by vibo : 03-13-2009 at 12:48 AM.
vibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:31 AM   #112
bizzybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsfou
I would like to see this thread dead and buried and some more meaningful threads on how to actually edit the rom, what works what does not, tips and tricks etc (such as the threads i was posting to a few months ago, but which seem to have become buried).

The author of this thread seemed to have this intention, but it's just turned into a support thread

How about DIY hacking to use larger than 4GB CF cards? PowerDrive's great for those who want to buy a solution, but real hackers (and folks with no spare change) "roll their own".

Just because one guy figured it out and has made an app to do it for $ is no reason for nobody else to bother to try.

If you need a CF to IDE adapter, check out DealExtreme. $2.38 - free shipping, but it comes on a slow boat from China. (Hong Kong actually, but since the Brits gave it back...)

I'm actually pretty happy with the stock microdrive, but increasing the "RAM" size a bit would be nice. Despite putting on all my most favorite MP3's, I still have nearly 3gigs free. Aside from how long it takes to soft reset, the only big drawback I've run into is it can't play videos from the drive without stuttering, even when they're resized so TCPMP doesn't have to. (So I just put them on a 2Gig SD, no problem!)

Last edited by bizzybody : 06-26-2009 at 01:46 AM.
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:30 AM   #113
bizzybody

Last night my LifeDrive became a DeadDrive. It was working fine, then I popped in my SD card with e-books and the thing went *scritch-scritch-scritch* the telltale sign of a hard drive that's gone bad. I poked the reset button and it came up to the Palm boot screen and hung there.

Couldn't turn it off so I just left it to run down overnight.

I just got finished creating two ROM images from the Update 2.0 download. One has everything as stock, the other I removed all the non-English files, all the T-Mobile and Addit crap and also took out all the example MP3, jpeg and document files plus deleted the LifeDrive advertising video. It's chunked into several pieces, use the same file joiner you use on the big zip file if you want to watch it.

I deleted all the lines in boot.conf that matched the files I deleted, and made sure to leave an empty line at its end. Trimmed it down to 9070 K, after running the makecafe.py script on it.

What's an odd coincidence is Staples e-mailed me a 15% off coupon yesterday, good on anything except computers, Apple and Bose products, copy and print services, etc.
%15 off a 4 gig Sandisk CF will help a bunch in resurrecting my LifeDrive^H^H^H^H^HFlash

What I'm not clear on is if I need to partition the CF or does that happen automatically when it's first booted, assuming it likes the ROM and will boot?

Do I need md5sum or just DD? I'm doing this on XP Pro SP3. Do I need cygwin? Great fecking huge download for cygwin for such a small project.

Last edited by bizzybody : 12-05-2009 at 04:08 AM.
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:58 AM   #114
bizzybody

I got a 4gig Sandisk Ultra II from Staples. Found a table.sct file to download from someone who has put a CF in their LifeDrive.

dd for Windows isn't liking some of the commands I've seen in various Linux instructions for writing the table.sct

dd if=table.sct of=\\?\Device\Harddisk3\DP(1)0-0+9 conv=notrunc

It doesn't understand conv=notrunc What's the dd for Windows version of that?

This command wrote the image to the card, but doesn't boot.

dd of=\\?\Device\Harddisk3\DP(1)0-0+9 if=rom_partition --progress --size

The Linux version has seek=134079 bs=512 conv=notrunc on the end.

I've yet to see an exact, step by step, with what software is required for altering the C/H/S of a card in WINDOWS.

What'd be really nice is a complete how to for doing this in Windows. Don't mention Linux or PowerDrive or hare off onto anything else besides exactly what's needed. Don't leave out *anything*, make no assumptions that the person reading it already knows anything. Write it for The Compleat Novice, who does not want to download a several hundred megabyte live linux CD image just to get a piddling few megabytes of data onto a Compact Flash card.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:34 PM   #115
vonfefer

Lightbulb WPA2 on LifeDrive

Since it is possible to edit the LifeDrive ROM has anyone managed to use the Tungsten TX (after the Enterprise update) wifi files to make the lifedrive access WPA2 wifi encripted networks?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #116
debilbao

Hi
After customize, i've zipped files again. Next step is a little fuzzy, what i need to create new image and restore it?

I'm using original drive, not a CF

Thanks
debilbao is offline   Reply With Quote