The current situation is no data visible in the Palm Desktop standard apps.
A while ago I installed the latest Palm Desktop "By ACCESS" V6.2.2 on my new work PC and it seemed to be working fine with my TH55 (I use the standard apps and some Splash products, Brainforest, and Quicksheet).
This week trying to open the desktop I was confronted with the message:
Program: C:\Program Files\Palm\Palm.exe
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
After reading on the web and seeing nothing visible wrong with the installation, I did the following:
I made a backup of registry and both installation directory and the Documents Palm folders.
I re-installed (selecting Repair mode)
It wanted to disable some apps - saying they were incompatible with PalmOS5.
It wanted to Hotsync - apparently to rewrite data to a new PDA - I skipped.
I was able to open the desktop but no data was there in standard applications.
I compared registry now with before. Only change to Palm stuff seemed to be capitalisation of Address Book etc names (Built-Ins)
I compared C:\Program Files\Palm before and after - no changes at all.
I compared the Desktop folder D:\Documents\Palm OS Desktop\ with it's contents before and only these files had changed:
MyName\todo\Todolist.mdb.bak (old one was renamed - was a repair done?)
These file appeared after the repair (it wanted to install them):
Apparently these contain all of the phone profiles for the GSM carriers, and network data pofiles for all of the carriers (what you see in the 'network' item in the preferences panel is taken from networkprofiles.). I concluded I don't need them and it might even be bad to install them and removed them from the install list.
No files disappeared during the repair.
I note the timestamps on the Uprefs.dat and probably other files get updated when you launch the Desktop - as I had done before comparing files.
I copied all the different files back from archive - I could still open the desktop but no data shows in it.
Hotsync was set to synchronize files. After thorough backup of Clie (RAM to card, card to HDD) I did Hotsync.
(At the same time I updated Google Maps)
There remained no data visible on Desktop. The PDA still seems to contain my data.
It must be looking at the correct directories as it is updating timestamps of UPrefs.dat files. The directories do have the data in them - so I am rather mystified.