Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Sony > Clie TH-series
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #136
ankh

Updaters from Sony are .EXE; anyone got Palm files??

I contacted Sony Support because I've noticed there are updaters for all three of my Clies available from years back at Sony's website.

But they're all hidden inside Windows executable .EXE files.

I emailed Sony since I don't own a Windows box asking for the updaters.

Sony Support is either cute or clueless -- they recommended I use Missing Sync to install the .EXE files onto my Palm with my Macintosh.

So, no hope there. Does anyone have an archive of the updaters for the Clies in actual Palm file format? They can't object, I don't think, since they'd do nobody any good without an original Clie, and they make the files available without charge in the .EXE file format.
ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:50 PM   #137
BobHarris

Try renaming the file from .exe to .zip, then drag and drop the file onto StuffIt Expander.

I have found that a lot of times files like this are stored in self-extracting zip archives, and if you rename them to .zip that regular ZIP tools can expand them and extract their contents.

I do not know if this will work for these files, but it is worth a try.
BobHarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:36 PM   #138
jjesusfreak01
Custom User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankh
I contacted Sony Support because I've noticed there are updaters for all three of my Clies available from years back at Sony's website.

But they're all hidden inside Windows executable .EXE files.

I emailed Sony since I don't own a Windows box asking for the updaters.

Sony Support is either cute or clueless -- they recommended I use Missing Sync to install the .EXE files onto my Palm with my Macintosh.

So, no hope there. Does anyone have an archive of the updaters for the Clies in actual Palm file format? They can't object, I don't think, since they'd do nobody any good without an original Clie, and they make the files available without charge in the .EXE file format.

Well, if they use pdb files, then you should be able to load it up in a windows machine, pull the PDBs out of the Palm installation folder, and then sync them using missing sync on a mac. This of course means you need access to a computer with Palm Desktop or Clie Desktop installed. Bob is of course right. Alot of these files can be opened using an unzip utility. Sometimes unzipping utilities can even open the EXEs without renaming.

Sony TG-50, Sony TH-55, Palm TX...TH-55 still the best
jjesusfreak01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #139
ankh

No Windows here

Yep, I understand how to use Windows for .EXE files. We just don't have a Windows box new enough (Sony requires Win2K or above, we quit at 98).

I'll try that when I can get to a Windows box, install Palm Desktop on it and get it configured to recognize my three different Clies (sigh). Then of course uninstall the stuff and hope I didn't blow up the borrowed machine. This is why I don't have Windows.

Okay -- instead -- has anyone looked at the files from the Asia/Pacific support site? They are _much_ friendlier about making the updates available, but I am not sure if they'll work with all my Clies (one from overseas, probably is ok). Here are some of their links.

All Clies:

http://www.css.ap.sony.com/CLIE/dow...LIE%20Handheld#

Here's what you find below that page for the TH-55/H:

http://www.css.ap.sony.com/CLIE/dow...odel=PEG-TH55/H

TH Series Software Patches
* CLIE Handheld Files Update Version 1.1.2

* CLIE Handheld Organizer Application Update

WARNING WARNING WARNING
I haven't tried files from this site yet and Sony warns that some models won't work if they were sold in the wrong country. Wait for someone who knows more to comment.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:15 AM   #140
ankh

Ok, got tired of wondering, used the files from the site above.
Here's the result, so far everything works
BUT, the wireless file numbers aren't right.

This is from the Info/Version list, and results compared to what shows up on the Sony support page for checking whether the updated files are present:

clie files 1.1.2 update installed -- all turned out as it should
- CLIE Org.Application v.1.01
- CLIE Org.Date Book v.1.02
- CLIE Org.Memo Pad v.1.01
- CLIE Org.ToDo v.1.01

Wireless update installed; one of two files turned out as it should:
- BCMLib 2.11
- CFEtherNppi should be 2.51 nothing found at all looking with the method recommended in the Sony info, and with Filez as well, just not there.

... EDIT ...

So, I backed everything up to the Memory Stick (Duo 512)
I used a borrowed Windows 98 machine to go to Sony and dowload the wireless updater, copied that to my Mac, and installed it with MissingSync.

Oops. I had BCMlib versions 2.10 and 2.11 showing
I had a CFEtherNppi file showing a version number of "pi" (no kidding, those two letters).

And I had Application Error whenever I tried NetFront.

Soooo, I did a cold hard restart (power key held for over 5 sec. while poking the Reset button, then left backside button for "Yes" to erase all).

Restarted. Everything worked and seemed okay, but, grrr, I wanted something newer than Jan. 2004 so I restored from my backup.

And -- I know this makes no sense at all. But NOW I have the correct - - - - -BCMLib 2.11
-CFEtherNppi 2.51
as well as the other update files.

It's like the first wireless update that got installed from the overseas site by MissingSync didn't change the file names visible; and the second wireless update wasn't recognized and screwed things up -- then after the cold start and restore from backup, the wireless update files showed up and worked.

Go figure.

Now, if I could only figure out a way to get this 512k Memory Stick Duo to mount properly on the Mac desktop, it'd solve my last immediate problem (well aside from the intermittent flaky camera question).

It complains I need to install some software on the "PC" -- anyone know if there's anything that will install on Mac OSX? "Data Export" is just PC files, I think, no clue if it's not.

Workaround now, when I can get the camera taking pictures (and it was very handy last weekend at a 65th birthday party for an old friend -- the designated photographer's batteries died, two other geeks pulled out phones or PDAs along with me but filled theirs up and quit, and I took about sixty pictures. Not bad for "the only ones" taken!

But I had to copy all the pictures from the Memory Stick Duo into the main TH55 memory, then back up the files to the Mac Mini with MissingSync, then find them (they'd been renamed "[sequence number].jpg.prc") and rename them to lose the trailing .prc -- making them usable JPEG files finally).
All 'round Robin Hood's Barn, as the saying goes, to get there.

Last edited by ankh : 07-21-2008 at 10:59 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #141
ankh

Battery discharge times, anyone? (and do you do it with the backlight on full?)
I have the little BatteryDischarge app; bought a 3rd party battery about 8 or 9 months ago but it seems to be quitting. It might be the Clie -- it's having trouble detecting the thing's plugged in sometimes (no lightning bolt, nothing in BatteryGraph indicating it's plugged in, but it still recharges).

But it's going from 4200 down to 61 percent (4v) in four and a half minutes while running the BatteryDischarge test with brightness on full.

1 hr 12 min to automatic shutdown.
5 min. 40 sec to complete full charge, from the shutdown level.

Seems to me like the battery's failing. Anyone have comparisons?

Last edited by ankh : 03-08-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:17 PM   #142
DanT
TH55 Nutcase member
Platinum Contributor

Sounds like a bad battery.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:10 AM   #143
ankh

OK. Anyone have an email contact for Vincent Chon outside of his private message box here? That's full, and not accepting messages.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:17 PM   #144
DanT
TH55 Nutcase member
Platinum Contributor

PM me and I'll give you his email address.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:56 AM   #145
fengwei007

It's been a long time since I came here the last time. Good to see there are some here still using Sony TH as I do.

My wife and I have been enjoying using TH55 from 2004. Now my wife's one got a broken screen, seems still working 'cause the alarm still comes off every morning, but obviously can't use w/o being able to see anything on the screen. The screen on mine seems had some leaking or something, just an area of water-stain like stuff at the center of the screen, and the camera module starts automatically once in a while, just like the camera button is pressed. Wonder if there is any screen replacement available? How about the camera module? Anyway to disable it? It's really annoying.

I haven't looked at any other PDA for years, except my Treo 680. Is there any other PDA out there w/ big screen and battery life as the TH55?

Thanks for your tips.

Best Regards,

Frank
Old 07-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #146
harry19

Thanks, that's a good tip. So far I'm liking Decuma more than VG2. I guess VG1 is too ingrained.
harry19 is offline   Reply With Quote