Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
  NEWS
  Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
  FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
  Games
  Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
  Audio/Video
  Cellphones
  Digital Cameras
  Gaming
  Gadgets & Gizmos
  Non-Palm OS PDAs
  PCs/Laptops
  Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
  FREEWARE
  Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
  ABOUT US
  Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
  LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices: 

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Topic Specific > Podcast
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #16
LupeValenz
(^_^)/ Hi

Send a message via Yahoo to LupeValenz
Woohoo, great podcast! Thanks for the Pre Podcast Alan. I love this Pre and will be getting it day one as well, with that touchstone charger. How cool is that phone comes in, you hit answer and with it being on the touchstone charger it knows to put it on speaker phone. I love it!
I have to say I do miss a few things from the Treo. 5-way navigation pad.
The Treo is well design that almost all the time, I never have to touch the touchscreen. They should try and keep the 5Way in as well. They can't have the big bulky pad like the Treo's use because that will interrupt the gesture area. They should use something like the zune touch pad. Thats a great lil pad and if they make it flush with the device, you have the room for your gestures and you get the 5 Way navigation as well when you press in the corners of the pad.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:50 PM   #17
intellidryad
Clie lover

Alan has a very interesting idea.

"The phone knows 2 pieces of data:
1) where the owner is now
2) where the owner should be"

The phone knows the husband should be with his wife.
The phone knows the husband is at some other girlfriend's place.
The phone sends a message to the wife telling her where the husband is.

Sounds like a drama coming up
intellidryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:07 PM   #18
ewah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan G
The data will be on the device. It will *sync* with the cloud. As you know, it is still not clear how data from a PC or Mac will be sync'ed on to the device. I think Chapura will help on the PC side. Mark/Space will probably whip up something for the Mac crowd that isn't using the Mobile Me service. That is if Palm doesn't crank out their own mobile portal, which I've referred to as a "Mobile Me Too" in the podcast and in the editorials.
Alan G

Having the data on the device is certainly better than not, but I still don't want a middle man in there.

Quote:
Not from Palm. Ed Colligan clearly stated in the last quarterly earnings call that Palm is not developing any new PDAs. Now mobile Internet devices, MIDs, could be a different story. Think a Newton sized TX (5x7-inches).
Alan G

Yes I remember hearing this also, my hope is they will change there mind. But you are right palm has nothing for me at the moment as there are plenty of other options. I'm still currently using the N810 but the so called netbooks are looking better and better. They are still to big for me, my device needs to fit in a front shirt pocket or inside jacket pocket. I believe Nokia is currently working on the next Nxxx device and I can hardly wait as it can only get faster/better.

Quote:
As I've said in the 'cast, I don't think this will help make the case to upgrade for some segment of the Palm user community. I'm willing to move on because I want a better over all experience.
Alan G

Ya, this isn't a big deal for me persay, I was really thinking of my users where I work, I still have users hanging on to there dying treos because they are app animals, if palm or someone doesn't enable running the old apps or unless a large number of app developers convert them over these users will probably run to blackberry because of the corporate email support.

Quote:
The Treo is now a Windows Mobile line of products. Corporate customers are going to be using Microsoft Exchange Server. Small business owners still have options to use a hosted Exchange Server or they will use something like Google's corporate offering to cut down expenses.Alan G

We actually use Groupwise and can sync to palm, blackberry or windows devices. By far the blackberry has the best support and straight forwardness.

Quote:
believe that a CDMA Treo Pro will launch on Sprint before too much longer. My guess is by the end of calendar Q1.
Alan G

Thanks for the insights.

tim
ewah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #19
ewah

Quote:
Originally Posted by intellidryad

Can I steal this, I can't think of a better way to explain why I don't like cloud computer for personal devices.

tim
ewah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:10 AM   #20
Alan G

Quote:
Let's say you set the Pre up to sync with Google Calander/Gmail, it syncs real time.

You go to your home computer, direct your browser to Google and you got your stuff.

I just hope Palm at least provide a way to migrate my old Palm OS PIM data to the Pre or Google's system.

And if you are using a PC with Outlook, I believe that there is a plug-in for Outlook from Google that will allow it to sync contacts and calendar.

I think that I may end up with that solution: Outlook to Google; Google to Pre.

Alan G
Moderator, Palm Help Forums
Staff Writer, GadgetsOnTheGo.net
Alan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:12 AM   #21
Alan G

Quote:

LOL! In that case I can see some people I know who may want to skip the Pre.

Alan G
Moderator, Palm Help Forums
Staff Writer, GadgetsOnTheGo.net
Alan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:12 AM   #22
Jesus is Lord!

"Let's say you set the Pre up to sync with Google Calander/Gmail, it syncs real time.

You go to your home computer, direct your browser to Google and you got your stuff.

I just hope Palm at least provide a way to migrate my old Palm OS PIM data to the Pre or Google's system.
"
The problem here is I don't really want my info in the clouds. Also, this means I would be forced to purchase MS Outlook to sync with Google. I don't know about anyone else, but I've had times when my internet was down, and it's common that I don't have a Sprint signal for a while like when I'm hiking in northern Minnesota. If all my info is in the clouds, I wouldn't be able to retrieve it at times . I've been using the Palm desktop app for 10 years. I just don't see this as a great solution for me. As far as PIM migration, I've seen in more than 1 place Palm reps stating there will be a way to transfer the data. After 10 years, that would be a major deal-breaker for me.
Romans 10:9,10 "That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved" NLT
Jesus is Lord! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:32 PM   #23
miles4000

General statement regarding Palm - This is not the same Palm that made pda's last century. They are basically re-inventing themselves and unfortunately some things will not carry over to new system.

Also I believe they mention that they are working on a way to migrate over data from Desktop to Pre and you will be able to access this locally on Pre.

Last edited by miles4000 : 01-16-2009 at 12:35 PM.
miles4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #24
miles4000

Quote:

Replaced last line with - The phone sends a message to wife telling her you are working late at work
Old 01-16-2009, 10:56 PM   #25
intellidryad
Clie lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles4000
Replaced last line with - The phone sends a message to wife telling her you are working late at work

Man, you just trashed all the fun out of it :P
intellidryad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #26
miles4000

Just looking at it from another angle.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #27
Dolomite
El Capitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus is Lord!
"
The problem here is I don't really want my info in the clouds. Also, this means I would be forced to purchase MS Outlook to sync with Google. I don't know about anyone else, but I've had times when my internet was down, and it's common that I don't have a Sprint signal for a while like when I'm hiking in northern Minnesota. If all my info is in the clouds, I wouldn't be able to retrieve it at times . I've been using the Palm desktop app for 10 years. I just don't see this as a great solution for me. As far as PIM migration, I've seen in more than 1 place Palm reps stating there will be a way to transfer the data. After 10 years, that would be a major deal-breaker for me.

I think its a common misconception, but you will still have access without a signal. Basically you will have three (or more) copies of your data. One on the phone, one on the "cloud" (its just a server), and one on your local PC. All of these synchronize with one another, so if you add a contact on your phone, it syncs to the "cloud", then eventually the PC will get it too. So if you don't have a signal, you will just have access to the latest data set you sync'ed. At least this is how Mobile Me works with the iPhone. This nice part is that this all happens transparently in the background, so you don't really have to do anything to keep everything up to date. I imagine Pre will do something similar.
Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #28
agchang

Smile

David Beers has posted three interesting entries on his blog, http://www.pikesoft.com/blog/index.php?blogid=1, and there is an interesting Styletap interview on Brighthand. We should all let Palm hear about the need for a solution to run old Palm apps on the Pre and other WebOS devices to come and the benefit of a memory card slot.
agchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #29
Modnar
Now treo'd & still TX'ed

Quote:

According to an email I got from teh palm developer network last week they stated in the email:
Quote:
Palm just announced a new platform, Palm webOS, and the first device on that platform, the Palm Pre™. Developers will be able to build apps on Palm webOS using the Palm Mojo Application Framework and SDK, available for free later this year.

While we can’t reveal everything about Mojo just yet, we can tell you that developers will use standard web technologies such as HTML, CSS, and JavaScript to build native Palm webOS applications. So any developer who can create software for the web has a head start developing on our new platform.

Also, if you have a Palm OS application and build a version that runs on Palm webOS, users will be able to migrate data from your Palm OS application to your new application.

To learn more information and to subscribe to an RSS feed that will keep you up to date with the latest news about Mojo and the Mojo SDK, please visit The Palm Developer Network.

So there ya go supposedely its coming
Old 01-18-2009, 05:08 AM   #30
agchang

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modnar
According to an email I got from teh palm developer network last week they stated in the email:

So there ya go supposedely its coming

Yes it is coming. However, vendors will weigh their options in costs, risks, roi, growth in Palm WebOS success and market share,etc. before porting their product(s), especially in difficult economic times for the vendors and customers. Emulation provides a stopgap approach.
agchang is offline   Reply With Quote