Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
  NEWS
  Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
  FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
  Games
  Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
  Audio/Video
  Cellphones
  Digital Cameras
  Gaming
  Gadgets & Gizmos
  Non-Palm OS PDAs
  PCs/Laptops
  Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
  FREEWARE
  Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
  ABOUT US
  Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
  LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices: 

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Topic Specific > Off-Topic > OT: Non-Palm OS PDAs
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
Mark29

Win Mobile

Any Palm users switched over to a WM device? I'm curious how the changeover went, and if you ported any apps over via StyleTap or some other means. My TH-55 is now over 4 years old, and although it's still performing flawlessly I don't expect it to go another 4 years. The LCD and speaker have each already been replaced once. Wireless internet is useless as NetFront seems incompatible with just about any website I want to go to.

In particular, I've been looking at the HP iPaq devices. I'm intrigued by the 210/211, but put off a bit by the price. It's also a bit larger than the TH55, not sure I want something bigger. I definitely don't want a smaller screen, I've grown accustomed to the large form factor. I frequently read e-books, so a small screen would be counter productive. Browsing the internet on a square screen would be frustrating. So the Palm Treo/Centro is not really an option for me, unless Palm comes out with a larger form factor. The TX seems to have limited compatibility with Vista, particularly with 64-bit - this is my main desktop so that would be a problem for me.

I'd be interested in hearing about any experience other users have had making this switch.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
AKAJohnDoe
Mime with Tourette's

You can read about my transition from Palm to PPC here. It is a bit long, but you may find it interesting, nevertheless.

Last edited by AKAJohnDoe : 05-27-2008 at 02:58 PM.
AKAJohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:13 PM   #3
Mark29

Very interesting, thanks for the link. I'm still holding out hope that my cell carrier will come out with a smartphone with similar screen resolution to the TH, though that seems unlikely in the immediate future. At least I have an idea what to expect should my TH have a massive failure. Barring a smartphone solution, I'm still partial to the HP iPaq.

Mark
Old 06-04-2008, 03:02 PM   #4
AKAJohnDoe
Mime with Tourette's

I am still preferring my PDA and Cell Phone separate. If I had to converge, the AT&T Tilt might be the path of least resistance for me.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
rfox

I've been searching for a Windows OS 6 device, but it seems like classic PDAs are going the way of the dinosaurs. Everyone's into integrated cell phones.

I was looking at the AT&T too as a good alternative as it has everything I want--get just the device and not the phone plan. While the QWERTY keyboard can come in handy, I would rather not have the keyboard just so it can be thinner. Specs list the Tilt thickness at .73 inches.

Not being familiar with how GPS devices work, anyone know if the GPS navigation still works without a phone plan? That is, do you have to pay a monthly subscription for the service, or do you just connect over wi-fi for free?
rfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
Mark29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfox
I've been searching for a Windows OS 6 device, but it seems like classic PDAs are going the way of the dinosaurs. Everyone's into integrated cell phones.

I was looking at the AT&T too as a good alternative as it has everything I want--get just the device and not the phone plan. While the QWERTY keyboard can come in handy, I would rather not have the keyboard just so it can be thinner. Specs list the Tilt thickness at .73 inches.

Not being familiar with how GPS devices work, anyone know if the GPS navigation still works without a phone plan? That is, do you have to pay a monthly subscription for the service, or do you just connect over wi-fi for free?

With the exception of the new iPhone, cell phones with gps work over the phone's network. Reason being there isn't enough internal memory on a cell phone for the gps software and maps. So unless the phone explicitly says the gps is built-in, it won't work w/o a phone plan.

Mark
Old 07-01-2008, 11:02 AM   #7
rfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark29
With the exception of the new iPhone, cell phones with gps work over the phone's network. Reason being there isn't enough internal memory on a cell phone for the gps software and maps. So unless the phone explicitly says the gps is built-in, it won't work w/o a phone plan.

Mark

The AT&T Tilt spec lists the GPS feature as:
"Built-in GPS for use with AT&T Navigator"

When I look up AT&T Navigator, it's a pay subscription service.
Does that mean even though it's built-in, it will only work over their service?
rfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:08 AM   #8
Mark29

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin86skf
I am working from home and looking for fag bearingbusiness partners to help promote discount benefits . The skf bearing business isn't difficult but needs commitment and caring individuals. Where can I find timken bearingwilling to work as a team to help others and their team mates, as well while generating an income from home?FAG轴承

I'd say you're on the wrong website.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:09 AM   #9
Mark29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfox
The AT&T Tilt spec lists the GPS feature as:
"Built-in GPS for use with AT&T Navigator"

When I look up AT&T Navigator, it's a pay subscription service.
Does that mean even though it's built-in, it will only work over their service?

Yes, that's how subscription gps works - the info is sent over the airwaves, rather than the gps software & maps built in to the unit.

Mark
Old 08-01-2008, 04:23 AM   #10
nausicaa

i just made the switch

and am still figuring out how the h@*#ll windows mobile users put up with all the nested menus and weird d-pad behavior
and how using the phone to call someone can be made difficult and complicated by windows mobile etc etc...
and how you lose the ability to wireless sync over wifi (forget that, even reliable syncing with the darn cable is difficult. to overcome glitchy syncing i have downloaded vista service pack 1 and the newest windows mobile device manager and i have never been able to get the stupid microsoft software to sync even one task although i do get spotty syncing of other pims like contacts .... this is just a little more time consuming and difficult than i expected)

needless to say, i am not at the stage where i feel i have a lot of legitimate complaints to offer bill gates but not yet at the stage where i can give helpful advice... maybe this is the same thing all the others before me (who switched to the dark side earlier) went through?
nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:01 AM   #11
nausicaa

i just made the switch

oops i meant.... i am at the stage where i am almost bursting with what i feel are legitimate complaints about windows mobile ... but not yet at the stage where i am good enough at it to give helpful advice to others
nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #12
dragonsgames
I'm stuck on the source

I hated Windows Mobile at first too, but I eventually came to love it.

I love having GPS built in, and being able to make my own interface.
I used S2U2 for answering calls, and my own interface for everything else (http://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...t=446603&page=2) (screenshots in post 13)

It's very nice
Sony Clie N760c -> Sony Clie TG-50 -> Treo 600 -> Sony Clie NX80, Fossil wrist PDA-> Sony Clie UX50 -> Sony CLIE VZ90 -> TG50, iPod 5.5 Gen -> Sony CLIE UX50, Sony PEGA-EB40 -> Sony CLIE PEG-TH55/E1, Samsung A900 (Blade) -> HTC Touch -> Palm Pre -> HTC Hero, Apple MacBook -> HTC Evo ->Nexus S 4G, Apple MacBook Pro

I like iSpin, it's my favorite launcher!!
I am the 2nd top 1src poster!!
dragonsgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #13
montecristo1

I was a die hard Palm user (Tungsten C primary) for years. Once, I temporary switched to windows mobile 2003 (pocket pc)- then switched back to my Tungsten C after a few weeks. Now, I completely switched to pocket pc windows mobile 6! I do miss my Tungsten C. But, the wifi was having issues and I got tired carrying a pda and phone together. So I got a ppc 6800 mogul and very happy. I had to relearn all over again how to use it a pocket pc. It is way different than palm. But it seems that pocket pc platform has caught up with palm in developing useful apps. I tricked out my pc like I did my TC. It is weird when I am surfing the net, then i get a call... I sometimes forget that it is a phone. I am so conditioned with my TC. So, I do recommend the switch. But if you love the palm platform, get yourself a treo. I would have, but they are hard to get it flashed for metro.