Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Topic Specific > Developers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #31
_Em
Beta Tester

Send a message via ICQ to _Em Send a message via AIM to _Em Send a message via MSN to _Em Send a message via Yahoo to _Em
Quote:
Originally Posted by khertan
"unless i misunderstood something?" C++ is just a hack to get c object oriented ... there are many things that let's many people say that c++ isn't a truely object language for example many people consider statically-typed language aren't full object oriented. But many other consider it like a real object oriented language ...

It s like the mac/pc debate ... A geek war ...

Indeed... to both parts
C++ is an object oriented extension to c; it allows you to write code in an object-oriented manner, but the language and compiler aren't based on objects, such as LISP or even Python are. In LISP and Python for example, you can run code recursively inside itself, debug live running code, swap out objects at runtime, re-define ANY part of the language to suit your needs, etc. C++ has no notion of lambda constructs, has stratified scoping, and has some language rules that don't persist through areas of scope.

The basic answer is that you can write fully object oriented code in C++, but the language itself is not truly object oriented.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:08 AM   #32
lordbah

Quote:
Originally Posted by potter
[*]PRC tools does work under Linux. It is actually just gcc built as a cross compiler with a few additional tools.[*]Last I check PODS did not work under Linux, however since Eclipse does, and PRC Tools does I would expect one should be able to get it operational under Linux.
  • Since Access is moving towards Linux, I would expect them to eventually release a Linux disptribution of PODS.
[*]You can test your applications on your desktop using the Palm OS Emulator or Palm OS Simulator.
  • The Palm OS Emulator is available under Windows, Mac or Linux. Only supports Palm OS 1.0 through 4.X.
  • The Palm OS Simulator is currently only available under Windows. Supports Palm OS 5.0 and above.

As far as I can tell, it's still true (as posted back in February) that Access doesn't supply any way of testing Palm OS 5 apps on Linux. Or am I missing something?
lordbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:57 AM   #33
phreakonaleash
Lifeflash'd and loving it

Send a message via AIM to phreakonaleash Send a message via MSN to phreakonaleash Send a message via Yahoo to phreakonaleash
They do. They released a Garnet VM emulator, which, unlike the simulator, is a full ARM emulator. It's slow, but far more powerful than the simulator.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:13 PM   #34
lordbah

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakonaleash
They do. They released a Garnet VM emulator, which, unlike the simulator, is a full ARM emulator. It's slow, but far more powerful than the simulator.

Thru their web interface I don't see this tool. Maybe I'm following the wrong links. (Wanting to develop something to install on my Palm today, I had no reason to follow any Access Linux links). But then if you really can't install applications, what's the point anyway? Eh, maybe it's been updated since that blog entry, I'll download it and see.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:27 PM   #35
phreakonaleash

Send a message via AIM to phreakonaleash Send a message via MSN to phreakonaleash Send a message via Yahoo to phreakonaleash
You can install things on the vm....

The VM has nothing to do with ALP, it's its own entity from ACCESS like the netfront browser.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:48 AM   #36
Tomohawk
Palm is a 4-letter Word?

I have been using the DevC++ IDE system for several years. It's a no-nonsense IDE, but it does let you write code and compiles with the gcc. The developers are working on extensions for PalmOS too, but nothing yet.

All freeware.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:16 PM   #37
I love my mom
Programmer by Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomohawk
I have been using the DevC++ IDE system for several years. It's a no-nonsense IDE, but it does let you write code and compiles with the gcc. The developers are working on extensions for PalmOS too, but nothing yet.

All freeware.

I use DevC++ myself. I'd like to see it come to the PalmOS, but I'm very content with PRC-Tools until then.

developer AT programmerbygrace dot com
I love my mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:18 PM   #38
phreakonaleash

Well, since prc-tools is gcc under cygwin and Dev-C++ is basically gcc under mingw (minimalist gnu for windows) plus a GUI, it should be fairly straight forward to uild prc-tools under mingw.
Heck it might work better, not being tied to cygwin so much.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:05 AM   #39
lordbah

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakonaleash
You can install things on the vm....

I'm going to need a hint. I can start gvm, I can start gras-client. In GC the "ping" command says the GVM is running but not accepting sessions. But I have no idea whether or not I need "sessions" - there is almost no documentation with this thing. Neither "applaunch hello1.prc" nor "dbimport hello1.prc" succeeds. Sounds like I am where you were when you wrote your blog entry that there is no way to install apps. I tried making an "autoload" folder (under GVM, under bin, and under linux_rel) and putting hello1.prc in it, and using "appswitch hello1" but that doesn't work either ("can't open session").
Old 01-27-2008, 07:08 AM   #40
choisum

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Em
ANSI C is the original language, and is the successor to B (which is why it was called C).

Oh, K&R C predated ANSI C. A verly long time ago I was interviewed on the differences between them
choisum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:30 AM   #41
lordbah

Does anyone have this thing working who can walk me through it?
Old 04-06-2008, 07:31 AM   #42
javispedro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbah
I'm going to need a hint. I can start gvm, I can start gras-client. In GC the "ping" command says the GVM is running but not accepting sessions. But I have no idea whether or not I need "sessions" - there is almost no documentation with this thing.
You have to launch gvm with -G (check the readme).

I tried to setup this to test if I could use it to debug ARMlets, but as the docs say, the Debug Nub does not work at all using gvm.

I guess the only way to debug ARMlets is either
A) put lots of printf's
B) build a serial cable and connect my T|X real device with the computer, then use POD (Palm OS Debugger).

Last edited by javispedro : 04-06-2008 at 09:43 AM.
javispedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:11 PM   #43
nova_seph

Just to get it clear. Is there any actual support for Palm/Garnet OS 5 App Development under Linux? (meaning, an ARM compiler, emulator, and idk what else, cmon i'm a just hobbyst empiric programmer). I'd love to program for my Palm TX, but right now, I'm just reading lots of stuff, and have SrcEdit (Source Editor), Bird (Resource Editor), and OnBoardC. But without a keyboard for my palm, this is just too much for me. I'd like to write/compile/test apps in linux.
Any walkthrough somewhere?
nova_seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:00 AM   #44
Jerramy
Embedded Systems Software

Often, I edit text files on a CF card using my PC, then use CF2DOC to convert it to DOC format for OnboardC. Although I do have a keyboard for my palm, it's still much easier to type on a PC. If you have a CF card reader in your palm, it's the easiest way to go in my opinion.
Jerramy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:53 AM   #45
phreakonaleash

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova_seph
Just to get it clear. Is there any actual support for Palm/Garnet OS 5 App Development under Linux? (meaning, an ARM compiler, emulator, and idk what else, cmon i'm a just hobbyst empiric programmer). I'd love to program for my Palm TX, but right now, I'm just reading lots of stuff, and have SrcEdit (Source Editor), Bird (Resource Editor), and OnBoardC. But without a keyboard for my palm, this is just too much for me. I'd like to write/compile/test apps in linux.
Any walkthrough somewhere?

aptitude install prc-tools wine
SImulators run under wine. prc-tools is gcc for compiling palmos apps. google prc-tools tutorial for help with make etc if you've not used it before.

Arm Native apps ARE NOT FEASIBLE under linux with prc-tools. it is possible under Metrowerks codewarrior (also runs under wine, somewhat nicely: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...urnTo=&iId=4675 <-- i think a garbage rating is a little harsh, because I use it just fine under 1.13, even with breakpoints.)