Shortcuts: Mobile | Active Topics | Newest Posts | Latest Freeware | Private Messaging | Contribute News | Archive 
NEWS
Search News
Browse by Category
News History
1SRC News RSS Feed
1SRC Podcast RSS Feed
Contribute News
FORUMS
Topic Specific
News
General
Applications
Games
Video
Deals & Promos
Developers
E-books
Mac / Linux
Medical
Podcast
Skins & Backgrounds
Wireless
Off-Topic
Audio/Video
Cellphones
Digital Cameras
Gaming
Gadgets & Gizmos
Non-Palm OS PDAs
PCs/Laptops
Tech Web
palm
pre
Foleo
T|X-Series
Z-Series
LifeDrive
Zire
Treo
Tungsten
Older Palms
Sony
VZ-Series
TH-Series
UX-Series
TJ-Series
NX-Series
TG-Series
NZ-Series
Older Clies
Tapwave
Zodiac
Garmin
iQue
Other Licensees
AlphaSmart
Fossil
Group Sense
Kyocera
LG
Samsung
Site Specific
Arcade
Comment/Suggest
FREEWARE
Search Freeware
Applications
Ebooks
Skins
Backgrounds
ABOUT US
Contact Us
Contribute News
About Us
Privacy Statement
LOW PRICE SEARCH

Search for the lowest prices:

LINKS

Go Back   1src Forums > Topic Specific > Off-Topic > OT: Tech Web
Forum has been archived.
Login has been disabled.
FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
Supertrucker
Still truckin'!

Google Chrome

This isn't Palm related, I have a really bad internet connection to the WWW, which is probably to blame, and even though most people won't see the humor in this, I felt it was humorous enough to post. Ask Dmitry, I post things that aren't funny but I feel those with a disturbed sense of humor may appreciate (ask him about the silly book quote I pm'd him). I recently downloaded Google Chrome. For the most part, it's a very nice browser, being that it supports most JavaScript, is pretty fast, and is very simple. Emphasis being on the "simple". There is no easy way to create bookmarks, which is enough to scratch it altogether in my book, probably not in others. In any case, while I was playing with it, I ran into this error:

If you look close enough, you can see that Google mispelled mail.gmai.com, which by the way, does not return a GMail address at all! Not sure if this was intentional or not, but wow, for an incredibly funded enterprise, whoops!

Oh, by the way, if you're writing a quick response to a thread and find yourself looking for the correct spelling of a word, I found this, which is very handy: spellcheck.net.

ST
Visit http://zerorubbish.com!
Supertrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
cyberdude
It's superdad!

Send a message via AIM to cyberdude Send a message via Yahoo to cyberdude
There are other threads about chrome. The consensus seems to be a big thumbs down. After all that work and investment of time, energy and money I think we all expected a lot more from google than what chrome has to offer.

I didn't notice the bookmark thing, but I did notice the following:
  • based on the safari rendering engine (webkit) so many pages that don't render in safari don't render in chrome - they should have used the mozilla engine
  • doesn't give a choice of where to install, which is bad enough, and the default is in your DOCUMENTS and SETTINGS directory!
  • doesn't integrate with the most used password/form filling app around - RoboForm
I'm sure there is more, but I uninstalled it immediately, due to it's install location. (if at all possible I try not to install anything in that folder, and I prefer to install all my apps, when possible on my physical D: drive)
Tom's TX pages
cyberdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
dkirker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdude
they should have used the mozilla engine

There are many reasons for not using Gecko (Gecko powers Firefox).

I believe two of them are speed and memory.
dkirker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:09 PM   #4
Joel
1src Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to Joel Send a message via AIM to Joel Send a message via MSN to Joel Send a message via Yahoo to Joel
Moved to OT: Tech Web

I use Safari (in Windows and OS X) which by the way renders all the sites I visit correctly. From time to time I use Chrome. It's faster than Firefox, Opera, and Safari -- opening up and rendering sites I visit usually several seconds faster. On the other hand, Safari and Firefox both perform fast (and Firefox now looks great) on the Mac (based on a 20" 2.4GHz iMac).

What matters though is our personal choices and that we have to stick and be confident with them -- for our own standards. The topic of "browser choice" rivals that of "screen protectors" when it comes to discussions of which is the best one to use. Our mileages will definitely vary so I'm just in here to share and not to argue about my preferences.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
scottl
Apt? Yes, it can do that!

I tried Chrome and removed it, but will continue to try every couple updates. Let's all remember that this is a BETA release. I'm sure once official, there will be plenty of improvements to it. I don't see much of a chance of it ripping me away from Firefox though. I'm up to over 30 extensions now and have become a fish out of water when other browsers don't act like I've made FF act. It knows me very well.
scottl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:11 AM   #6
Church Punk
Custom User

Send a message via MSN to Church Punk
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdude
[...]
  • doesn't give a choice of where to install, which is bad enough, and the default is in your DOCUMENTS and SETTINGS directory!
[...]
I'm sure there is more, but I uninstalled it immediately, due to it's install location. (if at all possible I try not to install anything in that folder, and I prefer to install all my apps, when possible on my physical D: drive)

Yeah! exactly that is what i didnt like too! Just, i realized like a week after installing it haha.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:59 PM   #7
JavaJiveJump
Behold the Elixir of Life

I had a negative reaction with Flock as well. Perhaps the best browsers are the ones that always have been: Firefox, Opera, Safari, er... I.E.
JavaJiveJump is offline   Reply With Quote