1src Forums

1src Forums (http://www.1src.com/forums/index.php)
-   Treo (http://www.1src.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Opera Mini on Treo (http://www.1src.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94463)

Joel 08-16-2005 03:21 PM

Opera Mini on Treo

Timothy Luoma writes about the good, the bad, and the ugly as he explored Opera Mini on a Treo. "Opera Mini can be successfully installed on a Treo 600/650. There are some rough edges, but the speed will win you over." [details]

soccrnj80 08-16-2005 04:26 PM

It works great on my Treo 650, I linked his great directions at palmaddict.

Joel 08-16-2005 04:58 PM

Now can someone try this on a Clie or a Palm? Is it at all possible to run this on a TH55 or a LifeDrive?

soccrnj80 08-16-2005 05:01 PM

Joel, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe Jeff will try this out on his T5 and let us know, or anyone for that matter, but I know Kirvin likes to get the most out of his T5. I don't see why it shouldn't work.

treffmeister 08-16-2005 06:35 PM

Perhaps what this revolves around is whether or not there is an application available which allows a device to masquerade as another. Alternatively, the WebPro trick can be done, with the actual application file being "hacked" in order to allow it to run on all POS devices. Let's hope.

soccrnj80 08-16-2005 06:51 PM

I am wondering though since I know that it is basically the java files needed to make this work, and I know when I had my t5 I installed them to play java games. I think there is a strong possibility that this may work. I know webpro was locked to certain devices, till it was hacked. This seems to rely on the java files.

ballistic 08-16-2005 07:03 PM

As far as I can tell, mytreo.net doesn't have the right to distribute Opera Mini.

From Opera's Press Release:

Quote:
Availability

Opera Mini™ is available to end-users through operators and companies that choose to include it in their offerings to their customers. It is currently available as a pilot project through TV2 in Norway, with wider availability to be announced. For more information read the Opera Mini product page.

I think Mytreo.net's representation of Opera Mini as "freeware" is inaccurate and misleading and they are distributing the application without permission. Just because they managed to obtain a copy doesn't mean they can distribute it. If there's a EULA, it should accompany the download.

Brian

soccrnj80 08-16-2005 07:05 PM

Get it while it's still there is my advice.

ballistic 08-16-2005 07:11 PM

At the very least, by distributing Opera Mini without this notice in the download, Mytreo.net is violating this EULA:

Quote:
This product includes TinyLine software developed by Andrew Girow (http://www.tinyline.com/)

Copyright (C) 2002-2004 Andrew Girow. All rights reserved.

The use of TinyLine is free of charge for personal and commercial use. Redistribution in binary form is permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

Redistributions must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
The end-user documentation included with the redistribution, if any, must include the following acknowledgment: "This product includes TinyLine software developed by Andrew Girow (http://www.tinyline.com/).".
Distribute TinyLine complete and unmodified. You may not decompile, or reverse engineer TinyLine. You may not distribute additional software intended to replace any component(s) of TinyLine. You may not remove or alter any proprietary legends or notices contained in TinyLine.

soccrnj80 08-16-2005 08:24 PM

Ok guys, I just received an email from the Associate Editor at palmaddict that the links in my article had to be removed, and would be decided on whether they would be re-posted at the discretion of Palmaddicts Editor. Someone emailed Palmaddict about Opera's EULA, and the Associate Editor had to remove the links for obvious reasons. Like I said before, we have a great community of users who like to help eachother out no matter what ;)

lesliefranke 08-16-2005 08:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It does look like the EULA is being violated by Mytreo.net.

Opera Mini runs fine on the T3. Attached is a screenshot in 320x320 mode. It runs fine in hi-res+ mode also.

ballistic 08-16-2005 08:55 PM

I know a lot of people are excited about the possibility of Opera Mini for Palm OS, but I wouldn't want to see reputable sites get caught in the middle of a technicality/legality issue regarding distribution by cross linking.

I'm not pointing fingers and I don't want it to be misconstrued that I'm directly making reference to 1src or any other Palm OS related site, but IMHO there has been too much open discussion of "hacked" applications that are being "shared" throughout various forums. It's happening far too often everywhere. Picsel Browser is a perfect example.

It's a slippery slope, and IMHO it reflects poorly on the integrity of the entire community when it becomes acceptable.

Brian

soccrnj80 08-16-2005 09:03 PM

I am glad to hear that it works on your t3!! It is a great app!! I hope opera clears things up as soon as possible, they make one of the best browsers, and the more devices on the better!!

whydidnt 08-16-2005 09:05 PM

Just want to point out that this isn't a true browser application in the sense of Blazer or webPro. Opera Mini is a Java Applet that connects you to proxy server hosted by Opera. This is the same concept that Thunderhawk uses in the windows Mobile world, but free :D

However, this explains several of the "rough edges" described in the article. They are most likely limitations of the process. The plus is that pages will render much faster since they are compressed before being sent to the device. I would be interested to see how performance is compared to something like skweezer which does a lot of the same thing.

soccrnj80 08-16-2005 10:19 PM

UPDATE: Palmaddict has now allowed me to revise my article and include the link to the instructions. If you want to see it here's the link. Thanks for everything Joel;)

http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palma...8/16/index.html