1src Forums

1src Forums (http://www.1src.com/forums/index.php)
-   Clie UX-series (http://www.1src.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Quickest movie converter?? need some of your professional opinions:) (http://www.1src.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83136)

lmame 03-23-2005 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djboa
oops, tried it myself ... definately weird ... I'll look into it ...

Yep :)

In fact it is due to the "weird" movie dimensions...
I resized the MPEG in 432x288 (1.5 ratio), then your software has created a 480x320 MP4 file (1.5 ratio) and then it works fine :)

But you need to respect good ratio, not just force the dimensions, perhaps say "this would be the better, but won't be played so choose the output dimensions", and perhaps add some black or something automatically, or crop, I don't know if it's possible...

By the way, it is possible to have 1500 kbps for Psp (for example), you should add it, but then there is a special parameter to lure psp and Clie and make it believe that it is encoded in 768 ;)

Anyway, the sound just before the encoding is funny :D

Keep it up ;)

djboa 03-23-2005 08:27 AM

actually I am respecting the aspect of the source file, thus the weird dimensions for the clie ... I tried a couple of avi files, and have had no problems with these dimensions without padding up to 480x320 ... padding is just wasting bandwidth/bitrate, so I would rather do without.

my theory at the moment is that it happens when you resize upwards in dimensions, I'm experimenting at the moment ... if that is the case I will definately add padding in those cases ... but your last example is also resized up, so I don't know ... trial and error :)

I'll add higher bitrates, shouldn't be a problem

at the moment this is not minded for psp, I havent figured out the stretching and resize combination, and I don't have one to try it on ... clie mp4 for now ...

the sound ... hehe ... found the command to trigger the windows speech engine, just some fun for the beta :)

djboa 03-23-2005 09:57 AM

new version, same link ... ftp link

it still seems to me as if the error comes when resizing upwards, in those cases it is fixed by padding.

- would love to be verified or proven wrong!

you can input any value you like in both dimensions and bitrates, and the tweak to go beyond 768 is automatically applied ... the values in the dropdowns are just the most practical ones ... so finetune bitrates to a specific size or super quality ...

lmame 03-23-2005 10:40 AM

Quote:
new version, same link ... ftp link

it still seems to me as if the error comes when resizing upwards, in those cases it is fixed by padding.

- would love to be verified or proven wrong!

you can input any value you like in both dimensions and bitrates, and the tweak to go beyond 768 is automatically applied ... the values in the dropdowns are just the most practical ones ... so finetune bitrates to a specific size or super quality ...

I confirm padding is working ;)
I confirm also that the tweak for the video bitrate is working ;)

I'll try some weird resolutions for Psp tonight, but I prefer your tool rather those "too complicate profiles" ones :) Good GUI :D

djboa 03-23-2005 10:46 AM

thanks, I would like to remove the pad button, and make it automatically pad when necessary ...

so unless you or somebody else can make weird playing files on resize down, I will make padding automatic on resize up and remove the setting ...

lmame 03-23-2005 12:24 PM

Quote:
thanks, I would like to remove the pad button, and make it automatically pad when necessary ...

so unless you or somebody else can make weird playing files on resize down, I will make padding automatic on resize up and remove the setting ...

Well...
Perhaps no, or make a "expert" tab or something, because on psp, you can't have 480x320 files... It's a weird resolution, like 480x160 because it seems that on psp you can't exceed 76800 pixels...
So if you pad automatically for 480x320, it will be perfect for Clie, but not for Psp...

Or then perhaps make 2 tabs, one for Psp ratio, another for Clie ratio, and one "expert" version...

Or just one, but with choices like:
Clie / psp 320x240
Psp 416x176
Psp 480x160
Clie 480x320
with auto padding

and just a expert place with: your parameters: ... x ... and auto padding to those settings...

djboa 03-23-2005 12:47 PM

ok, new version with your psp res added ... still selectable padding ...

be aware that the psp stretches non standard resolutions, and I do not take this into account ... so this can be optimized much better for the psp ... and I guess we're on the way to doing just that arent we :)

lmame 03-23-2005 12:53 PM

Okey, I tried to encode a "big" Mpeg file (like 1024x944 pixels), and no problem to convert to 480x320 checking the "pad" option ;)

lmame 03-23-2005 12:56 PM

Quote:
ok, new version with your psp res added ... still selectable padding ...

be aware that the psp stretches non standard resolutions, and I do not take this into account ... so this can be optimized much better for the psp ... and I guess we're on the way to doing just that arent we :)

Yes ;)

I'll check the psp settings this evening.

djboa 03-23-2005 01:14 PM

try all kinds of movies without pad and note down which ones are having problems ... if we can find a pattern we can eliminite padding where it isn't needed.

padding uses some bits in the encoding and the quality will therefore be better where there isn't any padding, so I would like to only use padding as a last resort where it is absolutely needed.

everything should work with padding, I'm more interested in what does not work without it ...

anyway all betatesting is very much appreciated!

djboa 03-24-2005 09:56 AM

ftp link
New version:
lmame - I found a psp resolution that is stretched uniformly in both x and y, so it should keep the correct aspect if padding is on ... I have replaced your resolutions since I can't think through how to get correct asspect with them ... could you check that it works all right?

lmame 03-24-2005 10:23 AM

Quote:
ftp link
New version:
lmame - I found a psp resolution that is stretched uniformly in both x and y, so it should keep the correct aspect if padding is on ... I have replaced your resolutions since I can't think through how to get correct asspect with them ... could you check that it works all right?

I'll try it tonight, for the moment I'm beta testing Microquad on psp ;)

rcxAsh 03-24-2005 10:44 AM

Wow! Looks cool djboa! Nice and simple. Nice job.

A couple things. Could I take the Linux version for a spin? And second, in future versions, would you consider putting in a sort of batch conversion? This is what I still like about the command line... I can just make a bash/batch script and leave it over night to churn out stuff.

JAmerican 03-24-2005 06:57 PM

Umm, is there any way to make my videos full screen or any videos full screen on the UX. I'm tired of the black spaces.

Have 320x340 vids.

EDIT: I used your app and changed the Res of my video so it would fit 480x320 but now FMP doesn't show the mp4 in the list.

JAmerican

loki2486 03-24-2005 11:26 PM

ok, I'm the "not a geek" user

1. Downloaded the file
2. extracted and placed file in desktop destination.
3. ran the "cliemp4converter" and selected a mpeg file
4. input the video size and duration
5. clicked on go

got a message that window cannot find the ffmeg.exe

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance