1src Forums

1src Forums (http://www.1src.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.1src.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Sony eyes $5 billion acquisition of MGM......Larger Drives for the Clie device? (http://www.1src.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49048)

ClieKun 04-22-2004 10:21 PM

Sony eyes $5 billion acquisition of MGM......Larger Drives for the Clie device?

Sony eyes $5 billion acquisition of MGM

He is a piece about Sony eyes $5 billion acquisition of MGM.........NEW YORK (Kyodo) Sony Corp. is in talks to acquire Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. for around $5 billion, the Wall Street Journal and other media reported Wednesday.
Sony would probably fold the film and TV studio, controlled by billionaire Kirk Kerkorian, into its Sony Pictures Entertainment division, according to the Associated Press.

Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc. itself was established on the basis of Columbia Pictures Entertainment Inc., which Sony purchased in 1989.

Teaming up with buyout firms Texas Pacific Group and Providence Equity Partners, Sony is engaged in negotiations to buy Kerkorian's 74 percent stake, the reports said.

If the deal goes through, Sony would end up owning two major Hollywood studios, along with worldwide distribution rights to the world's biggest film library, which includes the James Bond series and countless MGM classics, including "Ben-Hur," "The Wizard of Oz" and "Gone with the Wind."

Obtaining distribution rights to the film library ensures a steady cash flow from DVD, video sales and TV licensing.

Confronting keen competition from electronics and entertainment industry rivals, Sony is apparently hoping for greater business success by enhancing its filmmaking operations.

Sony aims to cash in on the synergy effects stemming from the combination of its audiovisual electronics hardware business, including flat-panel TVs, and its entertainment business, including movies, video games and music content, analysts said.

Representatives at Sony Pictures and MGM declined comment on the reported acquisition talks.

MGM, founded in 1924, is one of the world's seven major film studios. Since the 1970s, it has undergone a series of mergers and sales, but is weighed down by costly production. MGM suffered a net loss of $161.8 million on sales of $1.88 billion for the year to December. Sony's movie division posted an 802.8 billion yen operating revenue and 59 billion yen operating profit in the year to March 31, 2003.

If this is the case, we might be seeing larger and larger memory drive in the Clie Devices in the coming generation. 4 Giga drives coming soon :) Maybe

marukosu 04-23-2004 09:28 AM

I don't see the connection. :confused:

ClieKun 04-23-2004 10:46 AM

Read the piece.........Sony wants to push their personal devices. in a statement made by sony is the reasoning behind this purchase and portable personal devices. But for this to happen sony needs to increase their Palm storage..........Hence the rumored 4 Giga drive that might be in their up coming models.

winexprt 04-23-2004 10:58 AM

HDD in a Clie!? That would be a very interesting development indeed!

ClieKun 04-23-2004 11:01 AM

well you heard about those 4 giga mini drives right? Well this might be one of the reasons.

anitanium 04-23-2004 11:13 AM

NOOOOO
DONT TAKE JAMES BOND FROM MGM

NJL!2016 04-23-2004 11:16 AM

Sony already owns a major film studio: Columbia!

Pdasrock 04-23-2004 01:56 PM

As long as sony doesn't screw it up and make some sort of read only drive or some crap, then even 1 g would be AWESOME and but them ahead of the competition.

Unregistered 04-23-2004 05:50 PM

That is why I don't have a Sony TV (any portable TV) home

ClieKun 04-23-2004 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NJL!2016
Sony already owns a major film studio: Columbia!

Does not matter. they want to built the resources higher. The more the better in the eyes of sony.

Blazefire 04-23-2004 10:04 PM

I don't see anything in that statement that says that Sony wants to push their electronic devices into larger storage (Yes, they want to push their entertainment, but that does not mean that Clie's will get more storage. Clie's are a very minor aspect of their business model). If anything, that statement is saying that Sony is changing their dependence on electronics to entertainment. But most likely they won't affect each other, at least not initially. And it won't change the storage capacity of Clie's, or any other aspect.

ClieKun 04-23-2004 10:11 PM

Other statements made by Sony its states it. Unless you read this publications like the bible you would not know this. Sony is gearing up to booster their personal device by suppling visual as well as music contain for the future of personal devices. I guess better bring over this piece to support this statement

anitanium 04-24-2004 06:53 AM

but JAMES BOND

ClieKun 04-24-2004 09:17 AM

Bond James Bond :D

rastlin 05-23-2005 01:16 PM

Whaa!?!?!?

so sony is gonna come back with another pda i thought that they where out of the pda market so what makes ya so sure that they are gonna resurect the clie or something like it? I mean dont get me wrong it would kick some serious @$$ if they came back but do you have any evidence to support this claim?

<perplexed>

-rastlin